Menu

What's with the ads?

Nam2001

Spanish curriculum ideas

My daughter will likely be taking Spanish 1 locally next year with a pretty hard teacher. I am trying to introduce it to her this year so that she will be more familiar with it and hopefully make the class a little easier. We have Getting Started with Spanish. Is there anything else you would recommend us using this year to get ready? 

Edited to add: she is currently in 8th grade 

Edited by Nam2001

I was just about to go see if GSWS existed 😁. That is a top choice. Duolingo might be good for packing in vocabulary. You might check out the Fluent Forever pronunciation videos. They would help her get off to a good start with pronunciation, although there is a cost. If she is a flashcard user I highly recommend setting up an Anki deck. Fluent Forever has good, relatively recent, step-by-step videos for how to do that. If your library has a children's Spanish-language section I would add a day a week for "reading" start by exhausting their board book collection and immersive beginning Spanish videos, then browse through picture books. Cycling through all this doing a bit of Duolingo everyday is probably a good Introductory year.

If you speak some Spanish there are some other resources i could suggest.

I think, by the way, that this is a great idea. If she mainly picks up vocabulary then she will be much more able to focus on explicitly learning grammar.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I was just about to go see if GSWS existed 😁. That is a top choice. Duolingo might be good for packing in vocabulary. You might check out the Fluent Forever pronunciation videos. They would help her get off to a good start with pronunciation, although there is a cost. If she is a flashcard user I highly recommend setting up an Anki deck. Fluent Forever has good, relatively recent, step-by-step videos for how to do that. If your library has a children's Spanish-language section I would add a day a week for "reading" start by exhausting their board book collection and immersive beginning Spanish videos, then browse through picture books. Cycling through all this doing a bit of Duolingo everyday is probably a good Introductory year.

If you speak some Spanish there are some other resources i could suggest.

I think, by the way, that this is a great idea. If she mainly picks up vocabulary then she will be much more able to focus on explicitly learning grammar.

Very very helpful! Thank you! 

• Like 1

Maybe get her started on Spanish verb conjugations. Those are a challenge in the beginning.

Also listening to Spanish. Duolingo has some beginner Podcasts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Duolingo...it's free and actually pretty good.   Not enough for a whole curriculum on it's own, but to prep a child for a real Spanish class, it would be perfect.