Menu

Need online suggestions for a Newbie

I've homeschooled my littles for years and then sent them to public school because I didn't feel like I could do high school. I NEED to bring them home. What are some places for me to look where they can be home, get a good education and that will keep track of their grades etc for a transcript? I really don't know where to start with this. I'm really not qualified to teach all they need to know in high school but want them home getting a good education. Thanks so much. 

Edited by Mom28kds

Welcome to the "big kid board" and to planning for high school! Researching and asking yourself a lot of questions is a great place to begin deciding how to handle the high school years. Here are a few questions to start you off:

First, do your children *want* to come home and be schooled at home for high school? Having the students' buy-in in crucial at the high school level, because there just is virtually no success in trying to homeschool a teen who is completely resistant to coming home for schooling.

Second, it sounds like getting a quality education is your main goal. Are there local options that might better help you achieve that goal than public high school or homeschool? For example, a good quality private high school or charter high school. Or a university model high school, which is a sort-of homeschool/private school hybrid -- the student attends 3 days/week and receives instruction from class teachers, and 2 days/week you oversee work at home, and the school oversees transcripts and record keeping. Or dual enrollment (taking college level courses while still in high school at the local community college or university), at least for the later years of high school.

Third, what kind of students are your children -- do they like/dislike school and studying? Can they self-study & learn or do they need to be "leaned on" or require much tutoring? Do they have any particular interests in any subject? Do any have an interest in an unusual subject not typically offered in a school, or a passion they want to pursue heavily while in high school? And do your children have any special needs -- "behind" or learning disability or gifted/accelerated?

Finally, what are your goals, and your children's goals, for after high school? Military? Work/work your way up in a company? Entrepreneurship/own business? Vocational-Technical/Trade through Community College? 4-year degree at a university? Knowing where you're headed will help with setting goals for high school, and from there, help you decide how best to reach those goals in your choice of way of getting through high school.

• Like 1

I'll have 3 at home for 7th, 8th and 9th. The 7th grader is already homeschooled. The 9th grader wants to go into the military, works hard but struggles to stay focused at times. He has to work for his grades. I don't think he'll need to be college ready so to speak but I don't want to bring him home and do a disservice. My next year 8th grader needs alot of help. She's started PS in 6th and is struggling so bad because learning is a challenge. I can figure it out for the 7th and 8th next year but I don't want to screw up high school since I've never done it before. I've always been fairly laid back in my schooling. Major on the majors sort of thing. I'm dedicated and do school 5 days a week. Friday is the easiest day. I don't mind the public education although I would prefer christian. I like to have flexibility do school at night or days as long as we get it done and I'm not sure public school online allows for that. I know I'll need to make some changes by bringing them home and I'm ok with that. I need to figure out what would work best and what might be out there that would fit what we need. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. Yes, I'm in Ohio.