Menu

What's with the ads?

Lori D.

x-post: Suggestions for adult to teach self Grammar?

Looking for ideas of the best self-teaching book or resource for Grammar. A friend with a new baby wants to eventually homeschool and she would like to use the time between now and then to get solid with Grammar for herself, so that she will feel comfortable with teaching Grammar later on. She was looking at possibly going through Analytical Grammar, but I was wondering if there was a less expensive book or resource that was clear and concise -- and bonus points for free online / public domain! (:D

Suggestions? Thanks in advance! (cross-posting on the High School/Self-Education Board) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you for the great suggestions! I will pass them on. 🙂

Anyone else have a vintage Grammar text or resource, or a complete Grammar handbook/reference that would be straight forward for an adult to work through?

Is there a reason we haven't mentioned Harvey's? I think that's exactly what you're looking for but I haven't used it. It's a free, vintage, complete program.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Slache said:

Is there a reason we haven't mentioned Harvey's? I think that's exactly what you're looking for but I haven't used it. It's a free, vintage, complete program.

Thank you! It was what I was thinking of! I just could *not* remember the author. But it's also great having all the other ideas, as you never know what will be *the* thing that clicks for someone. 🙂

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

I think it's worth spending a little bit of money and working from a book for self-ed, unless you're already accustomed to working from a screen. Even printing out free books is unweildy.

My suggestion to that end would be Warriner's, Our Mother Tongue, or some Rod and Staff books. 

• Like 1