Menu

Suggestions for adult to teach self Grammar?

Looking for ideas of the best self-teaching book or resource for Grammar. A friend with a new baby wants to eventually homeschool and she would like to use the time between now and then to get solid with Grammar for herself, so that she will feel comfortable with teaching Grammar later on. She was looking at possibly going through Analytical Grammar, but I was wondering if there was a less expensive book or resource that was clear and concise -- and bonus points for free online / public domain! (:D

Suggestions? Thanks in advance! (cross-posting on the General Board) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Maybe this online option?  The price is right...;) My son used this two years ago to brush up his grammar.

ETA:   Ahhh!  The site now charges to do the exercises... Drat.   The teaching is sound, though. 

Warriners is cheap on the used market.  For someone with no grammar background, I'd start with the first or second course.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

Thank you! I appreciate the variety of suggestions! While I think my friend is probably leaning towards wanting something like the Warriners (or Harvey's, suggested on my x-post), this is great to be able to give her a variety of ideas, as she may decide that something else is actually a better fit for what she hopes to accomplish through self-teaching grammar.

Many thanks! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I would recommend that she just start with the curriculum that she wants to use in her homeschool.  Different curricula label and diagram with terms that do not necessarily flow easily from one to the other.

I have a degree in English, so I can teach my own kids from Abeka and tutor a student with BJU, but for someone who isn't comfortable with grammar it might take a while to get used to.

I first taught using Abeka at the high school level -- right out of college -- and it was a challenge to learn *their way* of teaching grammar.  It was foreign to me.  Now that I'm used to it, it's no problem.  This is why I would recommend just finding what she wants to use and just sticking with it.

If she wants to use Abeka, I would probably recommend starting with 5th or 6th grade.

• Like 1