Menu

CBD oil for epilepsy and/or pain?

DawnM

School me on the stuff.

My friend is trying to get info for her son with epilepsy and another friend has said she would like to try it for chronic pain.   It seems that this would be far more "medicinal" than essential oils.....but I know nothing about it other than a few articles I have read online about it removing the THC that gets you high, etc......

Where do you find quality CBD oil?  Brands?

If you have used it has it helped?  

What does it do exactly?  Other than epilepsy or chronic pain, has it helped with anything else?  Is it the latest snake oil?

I have seen news articles about medical marijuana being used to treat epilepsy in children in my state. It seems to be a legitimate treatment for some, but the issue that comes up it that medical marijuana in any form can not be on school grounds. Parents are in the process of suing a school district in order for child to receive dose of medical marijuana during the school day. 

According to my police officer husband (we live in a medical marijuana state), the CBD products that are sold to the general public and not through a dispensary have none of the active ingredients that make medical marijuana beneficial as a treatment, but I do know that there are several ladies in our community that swear by the products. However, I don't know what ailments they are trying to treat.

• Like 2

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/06/26/fda-approves-first-cbd-oil-derived-marijuana-treat-epilepsy/733567002/

It has reduced the frequency and seriousness of the seizures the son of my friend has. He has one of the severe forms of epilepsy that it has been proven to help but he still has a lot of seizures. My friend will not buy her CBD just anywhere and she is working in conjunction with her son’s doctor.  She is really happy for FDA approval as it will make it easier to get consistent quality.

• Like 2

CBD oil for epilepsy is different than medical marijuana, even though they both come from a marijuana plant. Medical marijuana usually has THC to help relax and therefore help decrease pain. 

CBD oil sold in natural food stores is different from prescribed CBD oil for epilepsy. They have different expectations by the FDA and different sets of controls. The stuff sold in natural food stores is generally without THC but it doesn't have controls on its other components. Right now it's being sold as kind of a natural cure-all and there aren't scientific studies for most of the things claimed for it. 

CBD oil for epilepsy does not have or has very, very little THC. THC is the component of marijuana which gives you a high. The marijuana grown for CBD has been genetically modified to not have THC. It is other components within the oil which act for epilepsy. Remember, just because CBD oil helps epilepsy does not mean it works for anything else and it is not a substitute for medical marijuana for those who use medical marijuana. 

There are several studies now which prove CBD works for some people with refractory (hard to control) epilepsy. I've seen at least 2 of those studies and know many people online who moved to Colorado early on to be a part of the early studies. It's worked very well for a lot of people. My son has progressive epilepsy and we're in a state which has moved slowly through the 'theoretical' approval to the 'how in the heck are we going to regulate this?!' stage, so our son hasn't been on it yet. Our neurologist has said not to use un-prescribed CBD for epilepsy. There are no controls on it right now. It's regulated like an herbal supplement. 

• Like 2

My step-dad has some chronic pain but is limited in options because of drug interactions.  He has some medications he needs that mean he can’t do as much for chronic pain.

From what I understand — he has tried a salve with CBD oil that his doctor cleared him to try (and hoped it would help, but it didn’t help).  

He is considering asking about CBD oil not in a salve, he hasn’t asked his doctor yet.

He is hearing from some friends it might help, that it’s worth a try, but he hasn’t tried yet, but he is thinking of asking his doctor when he has an appointment.

This has only been legal about a year, in his state, so it’s hard to say, but some of his friends say it has helped them.  

Edit:  I will add for my step-dad at this time he would not want to do anything with THC, so he is only open to CBD.  So I don’t know about medical marijuana!  I think this is the case with his friends, also.  I don’t think medical marijuana is acceptable to them, for something they would choose to take, but CBD oils and salves are something they are open to.  This might not be an issue for your friend.  It is an issue for some people though.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

Just want to clarify that CBD sold over the counter in every state, is hemp, which is in the same family as marijuana but not the same exact thing.

CBD/THC that is sold in marijuana-friendly states (for lack of a better term) is derived from the marijuana plant.  

<snip>   CBD is found in both the drug-producing cannabis indica and hemp-producing cannabis sativa. Hemp CBD oil is extracted from industrial hemp, the c. sativa species of cannabis, which produces nearly none of the cannabinoid Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), but does produce some amount of the cannabidiol (CBD).  <snip>

Is that clear as mud???

• Like 1

I guess I do know what it is.....just wondering if it really does help.  And how to make sure it is good quality.

None of the people I mentioned are interested in medical marijuana, only the CBD oil.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

The use of CBD oil is often discussed in chronic pain support group I belong too. As with so many drugs, some people swear by it and others don’t find that it helps. Another supplement/drug that many say helps with chronic pain is Kratom. It’s legal in most states.  Many people with chronic pain are finding their pain drugs being reduced by their doctors. They blame the opiate crisis. As a result, many pain sufferers are willing to try anything.

• Like 2

CBD absolutely does help with some types of epilepsy. It's proven - in fact, a pharmaceutical called Epidiolex was recently approved by the FDA and it's basically a pharmaceutical version of CBD. I have friends whose children have gone from dozens of seizures a day to just a few a month using CBD oil when literally nothing else has helped. However, like all epilepsy medications it does not work for everyone, and it can also take a lot of trial and error to find the right type. Some do need a bit of added THC to have it be effective. It seems to be most efficacious for "genetic" types of epilepsy such as Dravet or Lennox-Gastault - which is amazing because both of those types of epilepsy can have a terrible impact on people's lives and development, and they are almost always very difficult to treat. It may also work for other types of epilepsy but the jury is still out. Much more research is needed.

If your friend wants to try CBD for her son's epilepsy I highly recommend finding a doctor who will work with her. Pure CBD oil is legal in every state - it's hemp oil and has no psychoactive effect. It can take a lot of work to find the right compound and dosage to use. In addition, CBD can interact with other epilepsy medications (particularly Onfi or other benzodiazepines) and so the dosage of those meds may need to be adjusted.

My 20 year old daughter has focal epilepsy (i.e. it starts in one part of her brain with a focal seizure and will sometimes generalize into bigger seizures), and it is considered intractable. We have considered surgery and actually went very far in the surgery workup process. Luckily, she is doing quite well on her current medications and is only having occasional seizures at this point - in fact she's living 2000 miles away now and is a full time college student :) - so that conversation has been put on hold. We haven't tried CBD oil yet, partly because she loves to travel and I would not want her depending on a medication that she could not take with her traveling overseas.

• Like 2

Overall there is conflicting data. There are studies who have shown some benefits with seizures and dystonia but other studies have not supported those findings.

It's probably a combination of lack of organized, large enough longitudinal studies from which more accurate data could be extracted. We will likely have those years from now but at the moment it seems to be hit or miss. Some studies have suggested that THC while psychoactive, is also in part helping to alleviate some of the symptoms and therefore CBD alone is not as effective. Others have suggested that CBD is where the powerful anxiolytics are and we don't need to have THC.

I suppose the parent could see a doc, have a reputable brand rx'd and find out if there is any relief from seizures. CBD by itself has shown mild side effects if any. Those are most typically nausea and dizziness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kirag714 said:

CBD absolutely does help with some types of epilepsy. It's proven - in fact, a pharmaceutical called Epidiolex was recently approved by the FDA and it's basically a pharmaceutical version of CBD. I have friends whose children have gone from dozens of seizures a day to just a few a month using CBD oil when literally nothing else has helped. However, like all epilepsy medications it does not work for everyone, and it can also take a lot of trial and error to find the right type. Some do need a bit of added THC to have it be effective. It seems to be most efficacious for "genetic" types of epilepsy such as Dravet or Lennox-Gastault - which is amazing because both of those types of epilepsy can have a terrible impact on people's lives and development, and they are almost always very difficult to treat. It may also work for other types of epilepsy but the jury is still out. Much more research is needed.

If your friend wants to try CBD for her son's epilepsy I highly recommend finding a doctor who will work with her. Pure CBD oil is legal in every state - it's hemp oil and has no psychoactive effect. It can take a lot of work to find the right compound and dosage to use. In addition, CBD can interact with other epilepsy medications (particularly Onfi or other benzodiazepines) and so the dosage of those meds may need to be adjusted.

My 20 year old daughter has focal epilepsy (i.e. it starts in one part of her brain with a focal seizure and will sometimes generalize into bigger seizures), and it is considered intractable. We have considered surgery and actually went very far in the surgery workup process. Luckily, she is doing quite well on her current medications and is only having occasional seizures at this point - in fact she's living 2000 miles away now and is a full time college student :) - so that conversation has been put on hold. We haven't tried CBD oil yet, partly because she loves to travel and I would not want her depending on a medication that she could not take with her traveling overseas.

My cousin's four year old has Dravet syndrome as mentioned above.  It is a catastrophic epilepsy but CBD oil has helped tremendously with his seizures although has not eliminated.  We have already lost his twin brother.  

• Sad 2

CBD oil for pain is not as effective as with THC, in my experience, but the kind of pain is a factor. I've found CBD oil slightly effective for digestive and inflammatory issues, not as effective for sharp or stabbing pains. I use it sometimes for Crohn's Disease to reduce joint and intestinal inflammation and to increase appetite when necessary.

• Like 2

That is interesting, my understanding is my step-dad has joint pain and arthritis (??????) and that this is the same for his friends.  So that seems different from digestive/inflammatory or sharp/shooting pains.

It just had not occurred to me the different things that could be meant by “chronic pain.”  I only thought of my step-dad’s symptoms.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lecka said:

That is interesting, my understanding is my step-dad has joint pain and arthritis (??????) and that this is the same for his friends.  So that seems different from digestive/inflammatory or sharp/shooting pains.

It just had not occurred to me the different things that could be meant by “chronic pain.”  I only thought of my step-dad’s symptoms.  

I don't know about other people but my Crohn's Disease is primarily skin and joint issues. I have constant mild joint pain and occasional flare ups that I sometimes use CBD for. 

• Like 2

My twin brother used marijuana illegally to treat his epilepsy...he didn't have an episode for years.  Then he divorced his wife and she called the cops on him and they put him in jail for the illegal marijuana.  He didn't have any when he got out as his doctor gave him CBD oil that had just been released in Indiana.  He then had several seizures.  He was trying to avoid Dylantin and all of the side effects....and now doesn't have a choice.

So I guess I am saying that I believe the oil works, but not the stuff being sold in Indiana.

Brenda

Edited by homemommy83
Autocorrect
  • Sad 1

Let me preface this by saying that I live in CA, where cannabis is legal both medicinally and recreationally. 

I've used CBD oil sublingually for arthritis and anxiety. It was from a reputable source. One of the positives about legalization here is that you know exactly what you're getting if you buy from a dispensary. Everything is independently tested and labeled -- not at all like things were before legalization. 

I've also tried strains of cannabis (for example, ACDC) that have very high CBD, but almost imperceptible levels of THC. Those didn't work well for me either.

Someone mentioned above that CBD is more effective for some when there is some THC, and that has been the case for me. A brand called Care by Design makes cannabis vape cartridges that have varying ratios of CBD:THC.  If medical marijuana is legal in your state, you might recommend that your friend try CBD oil alone and, if that doesn't work, try something with a low dose of THC to see if it helps. The vape pens are very convenient and discreet. I have an rx for oxycodone for arthritis, and ativan for anxiety, but I use the scripts much less often now that I've found a good ratio of CBD:THC for me. I hope that helps!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The way that CBD works?  Is that our nerve cells have Receptors for Cannabanoids.
With Seizures and chronic Pain, signals are being sent along the nerves. Over and over again.
With Seizures, it is the continuous re-sending of the nerve signal. That results in a Seizure.
Then with Pain, we can have sudden pain where a signal is passed along the nerve. To gain our attention.
But this is different  from Chronic Pain, where the pain signal is sent over and over again.

What CBD does, is to 'inhibit the re-sending of signal'. Which is why it wont help with a 'sharp pain', but helps with 'chronic pain'.
With Seizures, it also inhibits the re-sending of the signal that is causing the seizure.

With taking CBD Oil, the optimal way is 'sub-lingual' with drops placed under the tongue.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 3:41 PM, ZiMom said:

Just want to clarify that CBD sold over the counter in every state, is hemp, which is in the same family as marijuana but not the same exact thing.

CBD/THC that is sold in marijuana-friendly states (for lack of a better term) is derived from the marijuana plant.  

<snip>   CBD is found in both the drug-producing cannabis indica and hemp-producing cannabis sativa. Hemp CBD oil is extracted from industrial hemp, the c. sativa species of cannabis, which produces nearly none of the cannabinoid Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), but does produce some amount of the cannabidiol (CBD).  <snip>

Is that clear as mud???

I don't think that is correct. C. Sativa most definitely contains THC as does C. indica. CBD oil is regularly extracted from both species and much of the CBD oil on the market is from these species. Here's the wiki which gives a short easy to understand explaination: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_sativa

Edited by KidsHappen

I have heard that it works for many types of epilepsy and some people claim that it also works for pain but that has not been the case for me. I am a chronic pain patient on a prescription opioid pain medication. I have been on this medication for years and it works well for me but it is true that doctors are trying to cut back on the use of these meds and my doctor has already talked to me about trying that in the future. So I have begun to consider alternatives. I tried a 50 mg oil and even when used in higher doses it did not help at all. I would prefer to continue as I have been but if my doctor stop prescribing then I would definitely be willing to try medical marijuana although I don't hold high hope that it would be as effective (no pun intended).

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2018 at 4:03 PM, KidsHappen said:

I don't think that is correct. C. Sativa most definitely contains THC as does C. indica. CBD oil is regularly extracted from both species and much of the CBD oil on the market is from these species. Here's the wiki which gives a short easy to understand explaination: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_sativa

The CBD oil I ordered from Bluebird Botanicals is made from hemp plants. My understanding is that hemp-derived CBD oil can be sold across state lines, but hemp derived from high-THC marijuana plants, even if the product itself is low-THC after processing, cannot be. Bluebird Botanicals also has third party batch-test results available on their website, which gives both the CBD content and the THC content, as well as some other things which could be of concern, and the THC content of the products is below the Federal .3% THC (based on dry weight) content limit for C. Sativa L. industrial hemp. That low level can cause a false positive on a drug test for marijuana, which is why it's a good idea if you get drug tested while taking CBD oil, that you disclose the supplements you take on the list of medications generally asked for.

On 11/20/2018 at 5:43 AM, geodob said:

The way that CBD works?  Is that our nerve cells have Receptors for Cannabanoids.
With Seizures and chronic Pain, signals are being sent along the nerves. Over and over again.
With Seizures, it is the continuous re-sending of the nerve signal. That results in a Seizure.
Then with Pain, we can have sudden pain where a signal is passed along the nerve. To gain our attention.
But this is different  from Chronic Pain, where the pain signal is sent over and over again.

What CBD does, is to 'inhibit the re-sending of signal'. Which is why it wont help with a 'sharp pain', but helps with 'chronic pain'.
With Seizures, it also inhibits the re-sending of the signal that is causing the seizure.

With taking CBD Oil, the optimal way is 'sub-lingual' with drops placed under the tongue.

Can you provide references for your source of this information? I'd like to read up on it.

On 11/20/2018 at 7:43 AM, geodob said:

Thanks for explaining this.  If a body has gotten used to having seizures, might it help to take CBD a few times  and then the seizures might stop completely?

11 hours ago, nathanbad said:

CBD Oil is in a free access on Amazon if I am not mistaking, a lot of sellers provide with free shipping and it is absolutely legal. I order this oil from Canada, I like service called Zenabis fully dedicated to medical marijuana and different cannabis products, there are also a lot of useful information about medical weed in general.

Amazon does not sell CBD oil. They only sell hemp oil. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
22 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

SERIOUSLY??? Another new member resurrecting a zombie thread. How many is that within the past few days?

I feel so badly for the moderators. 😞 

It cracks me up.  Maybe these are people who need to make a post on a forum for a computer class or something?   They make the post, print out a screenshot, and forget it?   Idk, just a guess.   It’s bananas.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You’ll notice that certain topics tend to bring out more zombie posters. This topic is one of them. 

I agree, but lately, it seems like it's so random! The moderators have enough to do, without having to deal with these one-post-wonders. 

• Like 1