Menu

Class of 2019 acceptances & decisions thread (updated 8/23/19)

RootAnn

On 2/13/2019 at 2:25 PM, mjbucks1 said:

Congratulations to everyone on acceptances so far!  This is favorite thread to read every year.  Dd has heard from most schools, but is still waiting to hear about honors programs at most of the different schools.  Here is her list so far:

Union University (Trustees scholarship + Interviewing for Scholars of Excellence), Samford University (scholarship + Global Missions Scholarship and waiting to hear about Samford Fellows), Messiah College (Provost's Scholarship), Wheaton College (Presidential Scholarship), Cedarville University (President's Excellence Scholarship), Calvin College (Trustees Scholarship + Collegiate Scholars Program), The Ohio State University (Provost's Scholarship), Liberty University(Academic Scholarship), Berry College (Dean's Scholarship + Alumni Scholarship).

I have had to make a spreadsheet to keep track of everything!!  I am sure we will all here of more decisions in March!

Messiah was in my daughter's top 4, and Calvin was a strong contender too! Great choices 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

I am really sick of waiting for April 1st.  😕 We have one fantastic acceptance and he is probably going there.... (yay!) but he is still waiting on a few major "reaches..." and I just wish I knew where my son would be going - it's like a nesting instinct or something!  

Not knowing where your kid is going to live in a few months is such a weird feeling! 

• Like 6

Feeling the burnout here too! The senior and I have been on college music audition tour this month.  4 down, 1 to go this weekend.  Whew, I think we're going to make it!  I'm happy to say he has 2 music profs already wooing him, saying acceptance in the bag and praising his preparation/ability.   Both are financial possibilities but crossing fingers for music merit.  

Several random BA applications out there but pretty sure he's going to go a BM/BA route since he is getting such a positive read now on his auditions.  He had a terrible experience auditioning EA for a program.  If your kid has a negative vibe about a school or faculty - BELIEVE HIM!  Yikes - such a waste of time.  

• Like 9

DD still has 8 decisions plus 1 defferal to Regular Decision out there with most of them to come on April 1. I have no idea how to prepare for April decision making. My prayer is that the decision is an obvious because too many choices will be rough on DD. I am inclined to go visit during Spring Break her top choice from her currently accepted schools so that is a visit that won't need to be made in April but she wants R&R. Time will tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JazzyMom said:

1 month doesn’t leave you much time to decide between up to 9 schools.  I am surprised so many schools wait so long to issue decisions.

Agreed but that seems the way highly selective schools roll. Realistically she won't have 9 schools to select from on April 2 as some have acceptance rates of less than 20%. For those she is on the lower end of their ACT ranges and probably doesn't have good enough ECs. I just hope for her sake that she gets one or two more acceptances and that the choice is obvious. Luckily, she has visited all except two of the schools and I believe that she has a mental ranking but won't share due to not wanting to get her hopes up.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2019 at 4:05 AM, Arch at Home said:

DD still has 8 decisions plus 1 defferal to Regular Decision out there with most of them to come on April 1. I have no idea how to prepare for April decision making. My prayer is that the decision is an obvious because too many choices will be rough on DD. I am inclined to go visit during Spring Break her top choice from her currently accepted schools so that is a visit that won't need to be made in April but she wants R&R. Time will tell.

Well and we spent a lot of money for not a lot of return when we went in January to visit east coast schools (we are in CA)- thankfully I had changed plans around so the point of the visit to Philly was to see my son's great grandma who isn't doing as well these days, and see family and have a good time...we visited two Philly area schools but the one school we really needed to visit, and to which he got accepted days after out trip had frigid temp warnings and it would have been a very very dangerous ride from Philly to Central Pa.....

So Idk. better to wait until you have an acceptance depending on where you live.  If you're in Florida, go for it LOL

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

So Idk. better to wait until you have an acceptance depending on where you live.  If you're in Florida, go for it LOL

I wish that it was in Florida. The school we are going to visit is one that she was accepted at. The weather won’t be grand but very typical weather for March. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arch at Home said:

I wish that it was in Florida. The school we are going to visit is one that she was accepted at. The weather won’t be grand but very typical weather for March. 

as long as you can safely get there...and it's hard to tell right now with these crazy storms, and airline tickets etc.  ...it is fun visiting! Even if she doesn't end up going there, it's a great experience to see more than one college and decide the kind she likes. My son definitely decided GO big or go HOME! LOL, UC Davis was barely big enough for him.  My daughter on the other hand is the exact opposite.  The smaller the better! (Well she did rule out one that only has 300 students...)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/11/2019 at 9:01 AM, RootAnn said:

I can see that there are others who will have a tough decision to make. People keep asking my DD where she's going. DD jokes that she will either make a very detailed spreadsheet of weighted factors or toss the names in a hat. :biggrin: The random draw won't take as long . . . 

Dd did a spreadsheet & it was helpful. Practically speaking, she's dropped one choice off the list and now has a few things she wants to dig into further at the ones that are left. She says she'd like a time stone so she can see into the future to determine which one gives her the best outcome. :cool: That's my Marvel-lover.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Dd received a likely letter 🙂  She's been accepted to the first round of schools that she applied to and we're just beginning the second round of the highly selective schools where I'm sure the stats won't be as good.  We're looking for the best merit aid/financial package so the decision won't be made until the last decisions are in....After the years of raised eyebrows and offhand comments about homeschooling, I feel so validated. And, of course, I'm just thrilled for dd!

• Like 19

3 hours ago, cuckoomamma said:

Dd received a likely letter 🙂  She's been accepted to the first round of schools that she applied to and we're just beginning the second round of the highly selective schools where I'm sure the stats won't be as good.  We're looking for the best merit aid/financial package so the decision won't be made until the last decisions are in....After the years of raised eyebrows and offhand comments about homeschooling, I feel so validated. And, of course, I'm just thrilled for dd!

Spill the beans! Where is the likely letter from???? You can't just leave us hanging!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

Spill the beans! Where is the likely letter from???? You can't just leave us hanging!!!

Okay, you are waaaayyy younger than I am, but you need to get down the new slang, which is spill the TEA!  Though, gosh that is certainly problematic on these boards given what TEA is used as a euphemism for!!!  Lololol!  I’d use an emoji, but I’m afraid it would be GIANT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Hoggirl said:

Okay, you are waaaayyy younger than I am, but you need to get down the new slang, which is spill the TEA!  Though, gosh that is certainly problematic on these boards given what TEA is used as a euphemism for!!!  Lololol!  I’d use an emoji, but I’m afraid it would be GIANT!

I actually just learned this. My 16 yo ds said he had to call a girl to “get some tea”. I, of course, thought of the meaning on these boards. Eek!!! I did learn the new meaning though. Lol. 

Sorry to go off topic. Congrats to all the families celebrating acceptances!

• Haha 2

DD received snailmail notification today of a scholarship for the school she interviewed at for their top scholarship several weeks ago. She did not get the top scholarship, but they upped her previous merit amount by enough to make it a full tuition+fees offer. I admit to being relieved that they didn't offer her their top scholarship because this was the school that she just dropped off her list. She likely would have felt very bad turning down the nice people she interviewed with (students & faculty alike) if they had picked her as #1.

She can now let them know she isn't coming & get her housing deposit back. :cool: 

... This had been her #1 going into senior year. Good school, great people, but she realizes she has other, better options. Very thankful for all the good options.

Edited by RootAnn
Added a few words
  • Like 22

Yay, @RootAnn!  So glad things are going well for your dd and she has great options!!!

Ds was surprised today with a snail mail notification for a half tuition scholarship that was very unexpected.  I literally screamed!!!  

March is off to a great start.  

***happydance***

Looking forward to more good news for everyone!

• Like 14

Acceptances so far for my DD:

Stony Brook University (Provostial Scholarship)

University of New Hampshire (Honors Program Invitation, Presidential Scholarship, Austin & Winona Hubbard Scholarship, NH Governor's Scholarship)

University of Massachusetts Amherst (Chancellor's Award)

University of Connecticut (Honors Program invitation, Academic Excellence Scholarship)

• Like 21

10 hours ago, cuckoomamma said:

...After the years of raised eyebrows and offhand comments about homeschooling, I feel so validated. ...

This is such a relief of a feeling, isn't it!!

RootAnn, thank you for maintaining the list.  I have to say that we don't actually know if dd will attend any post-secondary this coming fall.  She now says she is not going to university this coming year, which is fine (long private story I don't want to outline here).  But I wanted to add that last acceptance to our list, for the sake of future homeschoolers who may wonder what schools have accepted homeschoolers.

10 hours ago, Emerald Stoker said:

Yay, DD of Colleen! 

Thank you!  Keep me posted on your news!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

COngrats Nancy!  great awards and scholarships!

Thanks!  It is exciting.  Waiting on 5 more, and one with much anticipation.  I hate to wish away the last days of our homeschooling journey (DD is my last to graduate 😢), but a part of me just wants to know!

• Like 3

My son graduated last year, accepted to several schools (King's, Oklahoma Christian, and FIT).  He took a gap year and deferred his application to OC, and applied to Old Dominion University.  He was accepted to ODU, and will attend on scholarship in the fall in EE.

• Like 21

Finally weighing in....

DS applied to 4 schools and was accepted to all with merit scholarships at each:

Beloit College (Presidential Scholarship), Knox College, Northern Illinois University, and South Dakota State University.

He has chosen Beloit!  

To say I am thrilled doesn't quite capture it....  I am ecstatic!

• Like 25

On 3/4/2019 at 9:21 PM, Nancy in NH said:

Acceptances so far for my DD:

Stony Brook University (Provostial Scholarship)

University of New Hampshire (Honors Program Invitation, Presidential Scholarship, Austin & Winona Hubbard Scholarship, NH Governor's Scholarship)

University of Massachusetts Amherst (Chancellor's Award)

University of Connecticut (Honors Program invitation, Academic Excellence Scholarship)

Wow, your dd must have fantastic stats to get any money out of UMass Amherst! My dd had a 34 ACT and not a penny did they offer.  (Stony Brook, on the other had, offered her full tuition).  But now I'm curious if your dd applied EA, because mine didn’t.   (That dd ended up at UMass Lowell,  because 1/2 tuition, robotics lab, and their coop program).  Congrats to your dd!

I do currently have one at UMass Amherst and probably a second in the fall - that one should have guaranteed admission through transfer,  but still for some reason nervous as we wait for an answer. ..

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

WOW not only did he get acceptances and scholarships but he already made a decision!! Yay for you!!! 🙂

Once we realized this was an option -- it's a school he can commute to, so saves the $18k or so in room & board -- it quickly made #1.  He's supposed to put his deposit down this week.  He's working extra hours to try to earn the extra money for school.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Wow, your dd must have fantastic stats to get any money out of UMass Amherst! My dd had a 34 ACT and not a penny did they offer.  (Stony Brook, on the other had, offered her full tuition).  But now I'm curious if your dd applied EA, because mine didn’t.   (That dd ended up at UMass Lowell,  because 1/2 tuition, robotics lab, and their coop program).  Congrats to your dd!

I do currently have one at UMass Amherst and probably a second in the fall - that one should have guaranteed admission through transfer,  but still for some reason nervous as we wait for an answer. ..

Thanks!  She worked hard and it's been a terribly difficult year for our family, so the news has been quite welcome.

I wouldn't say DD has fantastic stats..  I do believe something must have stood out in her application for her to be receiving the acceptances and merit awards, but it probably wasn't her 1440 SAT score or the fact she has taken no AP courses (or SAT subject tests, either).  I think her recommendations were probably quite good (though she waived the right to see them, one being from a college prof from the one dual enrollment class she took at CC).  Her essay was good, and was deeply personal to her, and I think the amount of reflection she put into thinking about it did come through in her writing.

She did not apply EA.  She was dreadfully ill from late October and into the first week of December, and thus missed all the ED/EA deadlines.  She finally submitted a few days after Christmas.

Unfortunately, she got her financial aid package from UConn today and it is so far from reasonable that it's off the list.  We are hoping for better news from UMass, because she is very excited about that school.  We knew going into it that UConn and UMass might end up financial reaches, but she wanted to give it a shot.  DD is very practical and will not want to get overloaded in debt and knows the realities or our financial situation.

She is also crossing Stony Brook off the list, because, by chance I came across (while I was perusing the College Confidential boards) someone mentioning the severe overcrowding issue there.  We looked into it and I guess we didn't dig far enough into the school's website about housing, but it seems that about 90% of the incoming freshman (the only year guaranteed on campus housing) can expect to be tripled in a double room.  The housing issues extend off campus, too.  Tripling up in a room would not be a good fit for my DD.

Despite it all, she feels quite validated after all the hard work she's put in.  I know it will work out in the end.  She hates being faced with big decisions, so it seems the universe is slowly chipping away at her list, and hopefully the best option will become clear to her.

Best wishes to you as you await the news from UMass!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Nancy in NH said:

UMass financial aid is in and is what we expected--not within reach.  It was worth a shot.  DD is disappointed, even though she expected it.  Back to the waiting...

Bummer about the shortfall.  I'm beginning to think a lot of state schools are easier to get into from out of state, especially if even with a smallish scholarship you end up paying more than in-state.  Neither of my nephews could even get in to UMass Amherst (so tell your dd even that's an accomplishment), but one's at UNH full pay and the other got into Pitt, which I think of as more prestigious than UMass.  They also gave him a scholarship, but not near enough to match our in-state tuition.  At least he got into a different in-state school...

Don't quote as I may come back and delete this later...

ETA: Does your dd know what she wants to major in yet?  Would she qualify for the New England tuition discount program on certain majors?  At UMass that comes to about a $7K yearly discount off of out-of-state tuition. That program is also at UConn.  Here's a link to what majors at what schools qualify for the discount for New Hampshire residents.  And while I do think UMass is a great school, my nephew is loving UNH. :cool:

Edited by Matryoshka

7 hours ago, Nancy in NH said:

She is also crossing Stony Brook off the list, because, by chance I came across (while I was perusing the College Confidential boards) someone mentioning the severe overcrowding issue there.  We looked into it and I guess we didn't dig far enough into the school's website about housing, but it seems that about 90% of the incoming freshman (the only year guaranteed on campus housing) can expect to be tripled in a double room.  The housing issues extend off campus, too.  Tripling up in a room would not be a good fit for my DD.

This is actually one of the big reasons my dd ended up turning down Stony Brook, even with a full tuition scholarship.  It looked like virtually all the freshmen are put in forced triples (so three beds but have to share a closet and maybe a desk...).  Yuk.  And she also got a vibe that the CompSci program at least was competitive rather than collaborative, and very finance-oriented.  Oh, and speaking of overcrowding, freshman intro classes that ran up to something like 800 students...

Edited by Matryoshka

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

This is actually one of the big reasons my dd ended up turning down Stony Brook, even with a full tuition scholarship.  It looked like virtually all the freshmen are put in forced triples (so three beds but have to share a closet and maybe a desk...).  Yuk.  And she also got a vibe that the CompSci program at least was competitive rather than collaborative, and very finance-oriented.  Oh, and speaking of overcrowding, freshman intro classes that ran up to something like 800 students...

Is Stony Brook a SUNY? I wonder if the free tuition thing is causing the overcrowding or whether it’s a historic issue. I know at my local SUNY, which is not particularly selective, class sizes have increased but not by a huge amount (eg class that took 30 now takes 40), it’s just they really fill up quickly. It’s changed how I view DS’s DE odds bc unmatriculated students go absolutely last (as they should, I guess). 

Matryoshka, DD's major is offered at UNH, so the New England tuition discount doesn't apply.  Sure wish it did, and thank you for mentioning it.  UNH was the first college we visited, over a year ago.  DD was nervous about the whole college thing, and while we both liked the campus and enjoyed the visit, she still wasn't quite ready to think about it.  The more she considered UNH throughout the past several months, the more she has warmed up to it.  She'll probably attend a shadow a student day.  I think she would be happy there.  It's a great school and lovely campus.  There are so many things for her there, too.  She would love to be involved in the equestrian program and her current piano instructor (an amazingly talented man) has collaborated with the piano prof at UNH and some of his students have gone on to study under him.  So, she knows there is an option for keeping up her musical studies, as well, with someone her instructor highly regards.  Plus, UNH is so close to where she takes lessons (Portsmouth), she could hop a bus from UNH to town and continue studying with her current instructor, too.  I have thought all along that she would be happy there, if left with no other choice.

Her major is not widely offered, so her list of schools were comprised of large research universities and selective schools.  With her criteria for staying close to home, it made it even harder, so I'm glad she has UNH as an option, and that her option is one she can live with.

I'm very proud of her and she has been thrilled with the acceptances, so that does help.  She told me last night that it is nice to have validation for all the hard work, and that she has evidence of her success as a homeschooler.  She said to me, she will no longer have to stare blankly at someone when they ask, "How will you ever get into college?"

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Yuk, indeed!  She was never quite sure about Stony Brook, but hated to not apply to a school with her major that was within a comfortable distance from home.  We hadn't visited and thought we would if she got accepted, and recently were planning to take a trip down there.  I'm so glad I saw the post on CC, and we aren't wasting time and money to see a school that clearly has big issues right now.

Freshman classes of up to 800?  Oh, my!

2 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Is Stony Brook a SUNY? I wonder if the free tuition thing is causing the overcrowding or whether it’s a historic issue. I know at my local SUNY, which is not particularly selective, class sizes have increased but not by a huge amount (eg class that took 30 now takes 40), it’s just they really fill up quickly. It’s changed how I view DS’s DE odds bc unmatriculated students go absolutely last (as they should, I guess). 

Yes, Stony Brook is in the SUNY system.  You might be right about the free tuition thing attracting more in state students.  I have a friend who is a high level executive for a school in NY state.  Her kids are in the SUNY system.  I am going to have to ask her if she knows anything about it.  She knows DD applied and was accepted to SB, so I'm thinking she must not, but she might know about any issues the SUNY schools are facing with regard to increased enrollment and the difficulties they are now facing to accommodate more students.  Seems very likely to be a possibility and one they might not have planned for very well.

I'm just glad we found out before putting any more energy into that school and before DD has to commit.

• Like 1