Menu

Class of 2019 acceptances & decisions thread (updated 8/23/19)

RootAnn

I have twins - 

my ds

Embry Riddle Aeronautical University - Aerospace - President’s Scholarship

Colorado School of Mines - Scholarship

Boettcher Scholarship Semi-Finalist ( Competitive CO Scholarship for full ride to CO Universities) 

my dd

Embry Riddle Aeronautical University - Aerospace Physiology President’s Scholarship, Women in STEM Scholarship

University of Colorado - Denver 

Boettcher Scholarship Semi-Finalist

• Like 24

First one in - U of South Carolina, Darla Moore School of Business. Not DS's top choice, but a very solid option. Right now has qualified for our top state scholarship, plus college has committed to an academic scholarship of a few thousand a year on top that. The combo would essentially cover tuition!

Edited by linders
  • Like 28

My middle ds got an acceptance letter from Bellarmine Univ a couple of weeks ago, including a merit-based scholarship, but we still need to see what further aid is offered.. being overseas residents means any school he applies to he is considered out-of-state, so we are really dependent on what we can finagle financial-aid wise.   He has a few more schools in the application pipeline, now it's a matter I guess of waiting to hear, but Bellarmine is his first choice.. hope it works out for him!

• Like 21

@Kate in Arabia  I believe many Public Universities will waive the Out of State tuition fee for OOS applicants.  I hope he will get good Need/Merit aid from Bellarmine and be able to go there!   If he is a U.S. CItizen it is urgent that you and he have filled out the FAFSA form, and you have probably already done that. That would make him a "Domestic" U.S. student and not an "International" student. That's a huge advantage with regard to aid from schools.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lanny said:

@Kate in Arabia  I believe many Public Universities will waive the Out of State tuition fee for OOS applicants.  I hope he will get good Need/Merit aid from Bellarmine and be able to go there!   If he is a U.S. CItizen it is urgent that you and he have filled out the FAFSA form, and you have probably already done that. That would make him a "Domestic" U.S. student and not an "International" student. That's a huge advantage with regard to aid from schools.  

Yes, the FAFSA is done 😉  (we are all -- myself, hubby and kids -- US citizens). He applied to Bellarmine early, so we didn't have the FAFSA done by then; in their award letter they said he should complete the FAFSA so he can be considered for more aid.  Everything is done (he's applied to five schools in all), it's a waiting game, although I'm encouraging him to still look at other opportunities -- not everyone has a deadline of Dec 1... and my hubby really wants him to apply to a couple of schools here; I was dubious as to the possibilities of financial aid for him, and costs are comparable to schools in the US, but it doesn't hurt to check it out..

Edited by Kate in Arabia
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

@Kate in Arabia   I'd never heard of Bellarmine, but I just looked it up on USNEWS and one of the rankings is for Best Undergraduate Teaching.  I believe that's a huge plus.  Good luck to him!

Thanks!  My father actually graduated from there back in 1961(!), so it would be fun for my parents to have ds at that school (they are still in Louisville).  My boy's area of interest is communications/public speaking, they are supposed to have an excellent program for that, so fingers crossed... (my dad was also on their debate team.. hmm, seeing lots of parallels here 😉 )

Edited by Kate in Arabia
  • Like 4

@Colleen in NS - Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it.

@pathgirl Since Hillsdale was ED, does that mean your DS is definitely going there?

I updated the first post in the thread. I "like" the posts with the information when I get the first post updated. Please occasionally check to make sure I didn't get something wrong when I add the information. Congrats to all with acceptances & hope the days pass quickly for those who are waiting for decisions!

• Like 3

On 12/4/2018 at 6:21 PM, RootAnn said:

@Colleen in NS - Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it.

@pathgirl Since Hillsdale was ED, does that mean your DS is definitely going there?

I updated the first post in the thread. I "like" the posts with the information when I get the first post updated. Please occasionally check to make sure I didn't get something wrong when I add the information. Congrats to all with acceptances & hope the days pass quickly for those who are waiting for decisions!

Yes, DS will be attending Hillsdale in the fall.  Sorry, should have specified that!

• Like 10

DD received notification in the last week that she was accepted to the University of Missouri - Kansas City, Truman State University, and Drake University (Presidential Scholarship). She got into her safety and matches. Now we wait until late February for news from her reaches to start rolling in.

It has been exciting to watch the acceptance come in. Best of luck on those yet to come.

• Like 23

11 hours ago, kokotg said:

DS accepted at Hendrix College with nice merit aid (still waiting on full financial aid package) and invited to their scholarship weekend in February. One more EA app is still out there and then he has a long wait until spring for the rest of them!

Woo-hoo!!!! 

• Like 2

My DD has just been accepted to Cornell for animal science! She applied early decision and this is the only school she’s applied to, figuring there was still time to apply to her 2nd and 3rd choices if the answer was no. I don’t post here often but have lurked for years trying to figure out this high school thing. My first impulse when we got the news was to share it with other homeschool mamas!

• Like 38

I'm a loooong way from having my kids apply to college, but I just received news a few days ago that I've been accepted to my top choice nursing school. It's the only program that will enable me to continue homeschooling. I start February 1st, and it is a 30-month BSN program. I am hoping to eventually complete a second doctorate, but baby steps! Congrats on all the acceptances! 

• Like 34

4 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

I'm a loooong way from having my kids apply to college, but I just received news a few days ago that I've been accepted to my top choice nursing school. It's the only program that will enable me to continue homeschooling. I start February 1st, and it is a 30-month BSN program. I am hoping to eventually complete a second doctorate, but baby steps! Congrats on all the acceptances! 

Congrats!! So exciting!!!! If you want to be listed in the first post, let me know how you want it to be listed.

So far, 39 schools, 48 acceptances, 20 students (if I did the math right).

Edited by RootAnn
Er, maybe 23 students . . .
  • Like 6

On 12/11/2018 at 9:58 AM, FunnyFarmMom said:

My DD has just been accepted to Cornell for animal science! She applied early decision and this is the only school she’s applied to, figuring there was still time to apply to her 2nd and 3rd choices if the answer was no. I don’t post here often but have lurked for years trying to figure out this high school thing. My first impulse when we got the news was to share it with other homeschool mamas!

Wow--that's awesome! Congrats to her! And to both of you on being ALL FINISHED with applications and waiting for decisions--that must feel great 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kirag714 said:

Exhaling a bit finally! DD accepted to Fordham Rose Hill with a $15,000/year Dean's Scholarship! So excited for her.

And in about 1 1/2 hours she'll know about her ED application to Swarthmore . . . 

It was a no from Swarthmore - lots of sad tears :(. She had really wanted to go there. I know she'll land on her feet but right now she's not sure what she wants to do.

But - to keep with the up and down day, then a letter in the mail came from Pitt (already accepted) awarding her a $5000/year Pitt Scholarship. These are crazy days!

• Like 6
  • Sad 16

Second acceptance for DS, to our alma mater (hubs and I met there), Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. It's a much more traditional Political Science program when compared with IU's School of Policy and Environmental Affairs (and he is a direct admit to IU's program: we got that letter last week!) but also hey, two yeses!

• Like 23

On 12/13/2018 at 11:12 PM, Malory said:

Congratulations! I had no idea that UCs send out any early acceptances. I thought they all do it in March.

He was accepted through the TAG program three weeks ago, but he had several contingencies to meet, one of which was more difficult. That hard one is done so we waited until he received an A in Calc 2 before celebrating. The rest of the contingencies are very achievable for him so we do not expect an issue 🙂 

(he applied to UCs as transfer and private as a freshman) 

• Like 4

Last of the early action decisions is in: DS accepted to Knox College with $30,000/year in scholarships (again, still waiting on any need based aid). So now he has three good options (also Hendrix and UGA), which I hope will make the wait until March for the rest a little easier for him! 

• Like 24

8 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

Congrats on Fordham!

Thank you!

She just got her decision from Lawrence University - accepted with $28,000/year in merit scholarships: the Light! More Light! Scholarship and the Lawrentian Award! She was more than a bit overwhelmed and happy!

One more EA school to hear from, probably by Wednesday, and then the long wait!

Edited by kirag714
  • Like 23

Final EA school results are in - DD accepted to Clark University with a $20,000/year Traina Scholarship! She really liked Clark when we visited, so this great news. Her heart is still a bit broken about not getting into Swarthmore, but she's gearing up to finish her RD applications. But no matter how that goes I think she could be really happy and do very well at either Clark or Lawrence.

• Like 27

Two more - Clemson, 4-year academic scholarship, and Furman, 4-year academic scholarship. Clemson is a real possibility, DS18 not especially interested in Furman but counselor suggested.

Applied EA to Georgetown, deferred to regular decision. He was very disappointed by this.

ETA: Also just notified that he is in to U of South Carolina's honors college.

Edited by linders
  • Like 23

Not an acceptance, but one step closer: DS received several nominations to the Service Academies this last week. I don’t want to sound like I’m bragging, but he got one nomination each to West Point and the Air Force Academy, and three nominations to the Naval Academy. Navy is his first choice, so fingers crossed! 

Edited by PinkTulip
Typo
  • Like 26

On 12/25/2018 at 1:02 PM, PinkTulip said:

Not an acceptance, but one step closer: DS received several nominations to the Service Academies this last week. I don’t want to sound like I’m bragging, but he got one nomination each to West Point and the Air Force Academy, and three nominations to the Naval Academy. Navy is his first choice, so fingers crossed! 

Seriously awesome!!

• Like 1

DD accepted to:

Indiana University (Bloomington), scholarship, honors college

University of Michigan (Ann Arbor), honors program

University of Maryland Baltimore County, scholarship

And still waiting to hear from 4 more schools.

Edited by ValRN
forgot something for IU
  • Like 28