Menu

What's with the ads?

RootAnn

Class of 2019 acceptances & decisions thread (updated 4/24)

I am a little late to this post, but thought I would add my daughter

Accepted: University of North FL ( Dean Scholarship) Auburn, Clemson,  Penn State,  University of Kentucky, and Berry College( Dean’s scholarship)

Will Attend: Berry College

Edited by ldkgates
  • Like 20

LIttle late as well but will add DS:

Results: accepted at Brown, waitlisted at UChicago, Stanford, Yale and Columbia, rejected at Princeton, Harvard, Amherst and Williams. Yup, no safeties or matches in the bunch. Not out of arrogance. Gap year was the safety.

Will attend; Brown, since that's the only place he got in lol.

Major: American history and music

What we learned: sibling legacy meant nothing, parent legacy seems to have required an EA application (heard that elsewhere for this school as well), and demonstrated interest counts for a lot in this case. Effectively, I figured DS stood no chance at Yale and Stanford at all, but I think the music got him the Yale WL and Stanford seems to like his secondary school. Very surprised by the sibling legacy rejections as both siblings do extraordinarily well at their schools. DS visited Brown twice, made sure the AdCom knew this, and spent a fair bit of time getting to know the music people -- not to boost his chances, but out of genuine interest in discovering whether Brown is a fit. Brown was in his top three so life is good.

What else I learned from legit experts I spoke with this past week about the WL: kids have been accepted to Yale/Harvard and rejected at Brown, a case where UChicago wl a kid they figured would get into HYP (didn't, but once UChicago knew that, he got off the WL) and it's all a bit crazy.

• Like 17

My DD visited NYU yesterday for admitted students day, and committed this morning! So NYU it is! She's so excited and so are we. 

Why NYU? New York location (been a dream of hers for a very long time), excellent opportunities for study abroad, and since she's interested in a career in museum conservation it is a great location for internships. NYU also has one of the premier graduate programs in object conservation in the world, so she can get connected to that department now. She also loves the all-around exciting feel of the school - it literally buzzes with energy. Probable major - some combination of classics/archeology/art history/ancient civilization. 

So results for her are - Accepted: Fordham, Pitt, Clark, Lawrence, Franklin & Marshall, NYU; Waitlisted: Vassar, Hamilton, Wesleyan; Rejected: Swarthmore (ED), Barnard, Dartmouth. She's now so set on NYU that she's no longer pursuing the WL schools. 

Thank you to everyone who shared this journey with us! What a ride!

Edited by kirag714
  • Like 21

My daughter is a Questbridge finalist and Gates scholarship finalist. She was accepted, fullride plus, to Amherst College and waitlisted at Swarthmore. She plans to study computer science and music, maybe with digital art, neuroscience, psychology. Amherst will pay for her study abroad and private music classes, and even provide an instrument.

Like many schools she applied to, supposedly Amherst wanted SAT subject test scores for homeschoolers. I was able to successfully waive that requirement at all schools except Cornell Engineering (we'll accept her without them, but she must take them after acceptance.) At Northwestern I had to go to the Dean of Admission for a waiver. 

At Amherst, they waived them no problem, saying "we don't consider you a homeschooler" since she is taking two class at our governor's school.

We did not visit any colleges. Daughter said she would go wherever she got in and could afford. Amherst is part of a consortium and has an open curriculum. She wants to study in Singapore and they will have a joint program with YaleNUS there.

Amherst waived a deposit, and they also waived her freshman contribution of $1000.

We're very happy she ended up there.

If anyone wants to post their campus visit impressions, I'd be interested. She doesn't care; she said she'll be there soon enough and can see it for herself.

• Like 16

25 minutes ago, LeeK said:

My daughter is a Questbridge finalist and Gates scholarship finalist. She was accepted, fullride plus, to Amherst College and waitlisted at Swarthmore. She plans to study computer science and music, maybe with digital art, neuroscience, psychology. Amherst will pay for her study abroad and private music classes, and even provide an instrument.

Like many schools she applied to, supposedly Amherst wanted SAT subject test scores for homeschoolers. I was able to successfully waive that requirement at all schools except Cornell Engineering (we'll accept her without them, but she must take them after acceptance.) At Northwestern I had to go to the Dean of Admission for a waiver. 

At Amherst, they waived them no problem, saying "we don't consider you a homeschooler" since she is taking two class at our governor's school.

We did not visit any colleges. Daughter said she would go wherever she got in and could afford. Amherst is part of a consortium and has an open curriculum. She wants to study in Singapore and they will have a joint program with YaleNUS there.

Amherst waived a deposit, and they also waived her freshman contribution of $1000.

We're very happy she ended up there.

If anyone wants to post their campus visit impressions, I'd be interested. She doesn't care; she said she'll be there soon enough and can see it for herself.

Congratulations to your daughter, and it is great to hear about her experience. You could be a great resource for the aspiring Questbridge applicants here!

Edited by GoodGrief1
  • Like 3

I would be very happy to discuss Questbridge opportunities. My daughter was QB College Prep Scholar her junior year, which gave her a head start on the QB application senior year. She wanted the match (early early decision) but I messed up the CSS Profile financial documents so she didn't qualify.

It all worked out in the end, though.

• Like 2

Dd has decided to attend George Mason University as part of their scholars program! We are excited (and relieved) that she has made the decision! 😎

Where: George Mason University

Why: 4-Year Full Tuition Scholarship; acceptance to the Scholars Program (a selective program within the honors college that takes just ~20 students per year); location (proximity to Washington, D.C.)

Major: History, with a plan to pursue an advanced degree in either library sciences or museum studies

Edited by Shelly in VA
  • Like 21

On 3/13/2019 at 4:09 PM, Mom2boys said:

My DS was admitted to all six schools he applied to. His final three are:

Penn State - (Provost award)

Otterbein - (President's Scholar Award and talent award)

Western Michigan University - (merit award)

And we have a decision! Final financial aid numbers have been received and ds is Penn State bound! 

• Like 22

DD22 finally received her "official" acceptance to Haute Ecole de Musique de Geneve.  She'll get a Master of Music in Specialized Performance: Historic Harp

Why: An amazing dream teacher 

How: Fulbright Scholarship, Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 15

Over 30 of our kids have made their decisions about (and, in the case of a couple of transfers, already started) college!

Some of us might keep our kid's decisions private, but I just wanted to point again to the first post. That list is a great testament to their (and our) hard work. It looks like there are a few instances where two Hive kids are attending the same college. While the kids might feel weird about networking, I hope the parents of current students reach out to the parents of the rising freshmen & the freshmen parents reach out to each other, too.

I'll keep updating as long as y'all need me to. Look for my "how are the parents of the new freshmen holding up" post in September . . . 

• Like 13

We finally have a decision.

Where: University of Hartford (The Hartt School)

Why: quality professors in music composition program, diversity, reputation in the music field, large performing arts scholarship, not extremely far from home

Major: Music Composition

Edited by Pronghorn
  • Like 11

DD has decided to attend Smith College

Why: LAC; Women's college; size; Sustainable Foods Concentration; 5-College Consortium; diversity; level of academic rigor; neighborhood; one of the least expensive LACs

Major: Undecided.

• Like 14