Menu

Class of 2019 acceptances & decisions thread (updated 8/23/19)

RootAnn

3 hours ago, Lanny said:

DD received her second acceptance:  Texas A&M University.

Wonderful! 

Remind me which is her first choice? If she ends up at A&M, let us know; my DS is there now and so far loving it (only his first week, but still...) (C's older brother; C still plans on Univ. of Houston). 

Congrats to her! It's an accomplishment, for sure!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheReader said:

Wonderful! 

Remind me which is her first choice? If she ends up at A&M, let us know; my DS is there now and so far loving it (only his first week, but still...) (C's older brother; C still plans on Univ. of Houston). 

Congrats to her! It's an accomplishment, for sure!

Thank you!    Both universities have some pluses and some minuses. We have the connection with Tech, which is very special. If we assume, which we try not to do, A&M will offer more $ to DD. During the Induction for the National Honor Society, the Dean of the Honors College at Tech spoke for quite awhile. I believe DD will thrive, in either of those universities, especially if she is in their Honors College.

Congrats again to your DS for being able to Transfer into the A&M Engineering College!   I don't think that is easy to do. Much good luck to him! 

• Like 2

I think I have the first post up to date. Please make sure to look the list over every once and awhile to check for any errors on my part.

Congrats to all the recent acceptances. For those who are still waiting to hear on Regular Decisions (or ED2, or whatever), I hope your wait goes quickly! Good luck to anyone who is interviewing, also.

But, mostly, enjoy these last several months at home with your seniors.
                            "Days like these are far too rare . . ." -Chaucer in A Knight's Tale

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Bristayl said:

That's fantastic! I remember discussing with you some time ago on another thread about UT and homeschoolers, so your report is encouraging!

I am honestly shocked that he got into UT. It was a true reach for him.

Looks like our kids’ lists were very similar!!!  Your dd must have stellar stats.  I know scholarships from TAMU are hard to get.

Are you still waiting to hear from any schools?  We’re done, thankfully.  Just waiting to see if there will be anymore scholarships offered so we can make a final decision.

• Like 2

Within the last week, DD received her acceptance letters into the Honors Program at the University of Central Florida (UCF) and the University of Alabama-Huntsville (UAH)!

We have one more college visit and then we wait to see if there are more scholarship notifications. I'm starting to get weepy thinking of her leaving. Kids & I calculated we only have six months left with her at home. My ds #2 wrote an essay on why she shouldn't leave home for college.

• Like 33

Whoa, lots of fun news here! I've been reading along but not always posting (I get irritated with the new boards not bringing me back to the post when I sign in, lol).

Lanny, I have especially been watching for your daughter's news...she has got some great options thus far!! Chapel Hill is HUGE! How does the money look?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Son accepted to UNC Chapel Hill yesterday- going there!! Also, accepted at App State and Samford (scholarships) to major in Healthcare Management. His older sister will graduate from UNCC in Special Ed this spring at 19yo, turns 20 the next day after graduation! I’m so thankful for homeschooling! I’m sad to be done- but so love to see them grow up too!!

Edited by LNC
  • Like 28

12 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

<snip>    Lanny, I have especially been watching for your daughter's news...she has got some great options thus far!! Chapel Hill is HUGE! How does the money look?

Thank you!   We are not sure about the money at this time. She logged into her UNC account, yesterday in the morning and she saw the Acceptance Letter. As of that time, she had not received an email saying that she had been  accepted.. We are a very low-income family. Fingers crossed and praying for a "Full-Ride".   I believe UNC can provide that.  UNC is very difficult for OOS Freshmen applicants, as you know.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, JazzyMom said:

That’s wonderful news, Lanny!  Congrats to you and your dd!!!

Thank you!     I am  so thankful that UNC contacted DD again and that she did apply, despite knowing that only 18% of Freshmen can be OOS.   If one does not apply, there is no possibility of acceptance.

• Like 3

Another acceptance came in for DD. She was accepted to University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill). Waiting on 3 more.

Edited Tuesday, February 5, 2019 - DD accepted to University of Maryland (College Park). 2 decisions remaining.

Edited by ValRN
Add another college
  • Like 25

So much good news coming in for everyone! 

DS heard (unexpectedly early) from St. Olaf today: accepted with a Presidential Scholarship. He hasn't visited yet; it made the list because its math department has a good reputation. We'll likely be visiting in April, but it kind of depends on where else he's accepted before then.

• Like 25

Yes!   My kid too @kokotg! Congratulations!   Presidential scholarship and early acceptance at Saint Olaf.  He is in invited to theatre and music scholarship days which caused jumping up and down last week.  That certainly unexpectedly brightened up our week!   Thanks Saint Olaf!  Um ya ya!  🤩.  The money might work!?   Crossing fingers!   Currently high on his list but he is auditioning at 5 schools and has some wild cards out too.  I’d be very happy if he ended up at Olaf.  Music is very competitive there.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 23

Just now, FuzzyCatz said:

Yes!   My kid too @kokotg! Congratulations!   Presidential scholarship and early acceptance at Saint Olaf.  He is in invited to theatre and music scholarship days which caused jumping up and down last week.  That certainly unexpectedly brightened up our week!   Thanks Saint Olaf!  Um ya ya!  🤩.  The money might work!?   Crossing fingers!   Currently high on his list but he is auditioning at 5 schools and has some wild cards out too.  I’d be very happy if he ended up at Olaf.  

yay--congratulations! I'm secretly hoping Saint Olaf is high enough on the list to merit a visit come April because I want to check it out with my 9th grader who's possibly interested in a music major, too. Any multi-tasking I can do with college visits would be very helpful!

• Like 3

DD also was accepted at St. Olaf with a Presidential Scholarship. How exciting @kokotg and @FuzzyCat that your DSs got in also. DD wasn’t  expecting anything thing from St. Olaf until March. DD is pleased as St. Olaf was a match/reach,  the gf food is so good there, and she feels like she now has good options in the financial aide comes in where the calculators said it would. We may be headed to MN for a visit over Spring Break. Happy February 1st!

• Like 24

9 hours ago, Arch at Home said:

DD also was accepted at St. Olaf with a Presidential Scholarship. How exciting @kokotg and @FuzzyCat that your DSs got in also. DD wasn’t  expecting anything thing from St. Olaf until March. DD is pleased as St. Olaf was a match/reach,  the gf food is so good there, and she feels like she now has good options in the financial aide comes in where the calculators said it would. We may be headed to MN for a visit over Spring Break. Happy February 1st!

Saint Olaf is so popular this year--congrats to your DD! 

• Like 3

Oldest DS accepted to:

University of Texas at Dallas (Academic Excellence Scholarship - Distinction) 

Texas State (President's Honor Scholarship)

Since he found out he was not accepted to UT Austin, he's decided to attend UT Dallas and major in Finance. Looks like a good fit for him!

• Like 25

My son got his acceptance to Penn State university Park Engineering!!! 

We are very very excited! He has withdrawn his application to 6 other schools and decided he’s also not going to UC DAVIS.   He chose his housing and received his welcome packet in the mail!

Now, he’s still waiting on a few major reaches (schools with less than 5% admit for comp sci) so we won’t know for sure till April 1st (April 15 for one) but he is VERY excited. Penn State is top 30 for comp sci and top 14 for Enginering. He’s looking forward to the big campus and college spirit! 

• Like 29

17 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

My son got his acceptance to Penn State university Park Engineering!!! 

We are very very excited! He has withdrawn his application to 6 other schools and decided he’s also not going to UC DAVIS.   He chose his housing and received his welcome packet in the mail!

Now, he’s still waiting on a few major reaches (schools with less than 5% admit for comp sci) so we won’t know for sure till April 1st (April 15 for one) but he is VERY excited. Penn State is top 30 for comp sci and top 14 for Enginering. He’s looking forward to the big campus and college spirit! 

That is great!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Out of the blue today, boy was accepted early to the University of Rochester!  Was not expecting to hear from them for a long time!  No financials, but very exciting nonetheless!  

Very cool! My daughter did a summer research program there last year. Nice campus!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Out of the blue today, boy was accepted early to the University of Rochester!  Was not expecting to hear from them for a long time!  No financials, but very exciting nonetheless!  

Congratulations! DS's cousin heard from them yesterday, too 🙂 . I love those kind of surprises.

• Like 4

First post updated with all the great acceptances and couple of decisions (starred and bolded). Let me know if I missed something/someone or put something wrong. Congrats to all the acceptances. Hugs to all who haven't gotten the news they wanted. High fives to the kids who already made their decisions.

I can see that there are others who will have a tough decision to make. People keep asking my DD where she's going. DD jokes that she will either make a very detailed spreadsheet of weighted factors or toss the names in a hat. :biggrin: The random draw won't take as long . . . 

• Like 11

Congratulations to everyone on acceptances so far!  This is favorite thread to read every year.  Dd has heard from most schools, but is still waiting to hear about honors programs at most of the different schools.  Here is her list so far:

Union University (Trustees scholarship + Interviewing for Scholars of Excellence), Samford University (scholarship + Global Missions Scholarship and waiting to hear about Samford Fellows), Messiah College (Provost's Scholarship), Wheaton College (Presidential Scholarship), Cedarville University (President's Excellence Scholarship), Calvin College (Trustees Scholarship + Collegiate Scholars Program), The Ohio State University (Provost's Scholarship), Liberty University(Academic Scholarship), Berry College (Dean's Scholarship + Alumni Scholarship).

I have had to make a spreadsheet to keep track of everything!!  I am sure we will all here of more decisions in March!

• Like 17

First post updated! Some very exciting info coming in.

DD received notification of an additional scholarship at Truman State in their letter inviting her to interview for their top competitive scholarship: the General Pershing Scholarship. We're waiting to hear the results of that process (as she interviewed on Friday).

In addition, the University of Alabama Huntsville just updated their scholarship offer to the Platinum Award of Academic Achievement (replacing her Charger Distinction scholarship).

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 25

On 2/17/2019 at 6:24 PM, RootAnn said:

First post updated! Some very exciting info coming in.

DD received notification of an additional scholarship at Truman State in their letter inviting her to interview for their top competitive scholarship: the General Pershing Scholarship. We're waiting to hear the results of that process (as she interviewed on Friday).

In addition, the University of Alabama Huntsville just updated their scholarship offer to the Platinum Award of Academic Achievement (replacing her Charger Distinction scholarship).

That’s awesome!  Congrats!!!

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2019 at 6:13 PM, kokotg said:

So much good news coming in for everyone! 

DS heard (unexpectedly early) from St. Olaf today: accepted with a Presidential Scholarship. He hasn't visited yet; it made the list because its math department has a good reputation. We'll likely be visiting in April, but it kind of depends on where else he's accepted before then.

St Olaf has a beautiful campus! One other thing, they have webcams on campus. So if he is considering the school, that might be fun to check out.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1