Menu

Class of 2019 acceptances & decisions thread (updated 8/23/19)

RootAnn

DS accepted to Macalester with a DeWitt Wallace merit scholarship and surprisingly generous need based aid. We're entering decidedly non-safety territory now (still 11 schools to go!), so this was a big relief for him. We haven't been there yet, but have a visit scheduled for spring break in a few weeks. 

• Like 23

27 minutes ago, kokotg said:

DS accepted to Macalester with a DeWitt Wallace merit scholarship and surprisingly generous need based aid. We're entering decidedly non-safety territory now (still 11 schools to go!), so this was a big relief for him. We haven't been there yet, but have a visit scheduled for spring break in a few weeks. 

Congratulations! I just saw that DD’s email came BUT she is not home. Oh, the wait! I didn’t realize that your DS had so many schools still outstanding. Best of luck. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Arch at Home said:

Congratulations! I just saw that DD’s email came BUT she is not home. Oh, the wait! I didn’t realize that your DS had so many schools still outstanding. Best of luck. 

argh--The suspense! Good luck to her! 

• Like 2

@Nancy in NH Can you check to make sure I typed the scholarship name right for Stony Brook?

First post updated with recent acceptances & scholarship notifications. Quite an impressive list already!

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of the kids who are waiting through these last few weeks of suspense. If you are comfortable, please update the group with where they make their final decisions. It is fun to see the bolded decisions on the list - and it is nice to know if another Hive kid is going to the same school. (If you want to keep their decision private, that's fine, too. We all understand!) 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

@Nancy in NH Can you check to make sure I typed the scholarship name right for Stony Brook?

Yes, it's correct.  I had to look at it twice myself, when I entered DD's info on the list.  Thanks so much for keeping up this list!

BTW, I see in your signature that your DD has in interest in linguistics.  That's my DD's major!

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 2:46 PM, Miss Mousie said:

Finally weighing in....

DS applied to 4 schools and was accepted to all with merit scholarships at each:

Beloit College (Presidential Scholarship), Knox College, Northern Illinois University, and South Dakota State University.

He has chosen Beloit!  

To say I am thrilled doesn't quite capture it....  I am ecstatic!

Congratulations! My daughter is a freshman at Beloit!

• Like 5

DS got an email yesterday that he has been appointed to the United States Air Force Academy. Needless to say, there was much cheering, dancing around and crying (with joy!) at my house. Attending a service academy has been his goal for the last 7+ years  

He is still waiting to hear from the Naval Academy, but is 99% sure he will accept and go to Air Force! 

• Like 37

42 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

DS got an email yesterday that he has been appointed to the United States Air Force Academy. Needless to say, there was much cheering, dancing around and crying (with joy!) at my house. Attending a service academy has been his goal for the last 7+ years  

He is still waiting to hear from the Naval Academy, but is 99% sure he will accept and go to Air Force! 

Awesome news!  Congratulations!!!

• Like 2

So far, only DE at the local community college for 8th grader. Still waiting to hear if he will be a recruit for Stanford sailing, or Georgetown tennis.  

ETA; Well, I called to see what was holding things up. I expect my kid to be captain of either team. I gave Georgetown tennis coach letters from all my relatives certifying that my kid wins every badminton tournament at the family reunion.   For the  Stanford sail team, I gave the coach a video of my kid accepting the City Championship.  My 8th grader is the first one to walk in.  We are in the process of legally changing his name to "Dennis.".  https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&p=dennis+conner+stars+and+stripes#id=1&vid=9e0d56058129e21922e581f3222ef0ee&action=click

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

DD18 has officially been accepted to the Isenberg Business School at UMass Amherst!

I know it was a guaranteed AS at CC-to-Uni transfer, but I'm still relieved!!  She hadn't applied anywhere else, and I guess now she doesn't have to.  :smile:

I was curious if they were going to ask for her high school transcript (which I have all ready to go), because I only graduated her from high school in December, but apparently not!

• Like 27

18 hours ago, gstharr said:

So far, only DE at the local community college for 8th grader. Still waiting to hear if he will be a recruit for Stanford sailing, or Georgetown tennis.  

ETA; Well, I called to see what was holding things up. I expect my kid to be captain of either team. I gave Georgetown tennis coach letters from all my relatives certifying that my kid wins every badminton tournament at the family reunion.   For the  Stanford sail team, I gave the coach a video of my kid accepting the City Championship.  My 8th grader is the first one to walk in.  We are in the process of legally changing his name to "Dennis.".  https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&p=dennis+conner+stars+and+stripes#id=1&vid=9e0d56058129e21922e581f3222ef0ee&action=click

You should have applied Dennis to USC Swimming! Only 100k will get him in there. ( And he could go to the only Ivy League expensive and rated school that no one has ever heard of outside the west coast.)

(I say that tongue in check bc my dd applied there and their comp science is amazing but my entire family back east literally has never heard of it.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/16/2019 at 12:36 AM, Calming Tea said:

You should have applied Dennis to USC Swimming! Only 100k will get him in there. ( And he could go to the only Ivy League expensive and rated school that no one has ever heard of outside the west coast.)

(I say that tongue in check bc my dd applied there and their comp science is amazing but my entire family back east literally has never heard of it.)

USC is getting slammed by this and they deserve it.  I read something on my phone last night about that school. There are 24 (?) there as athletes who are not athletes?  A family friend graduated from there (NROTC scholarship) many years ago. They have six (?) applicants for undergraduate admission at this time who will be denied admission because of the scandal.

• Sad 3

On 3/14/2019 at 11:31 PM, PinkTulip said:

A dear friend's son is a sophomore at Air Force. Plebe summer and the first part of Freshman year were brutal, but now he has settled in and he loves it!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, linders said:

A dear friend's son is a sophomore at Air Force. Plebe summer and the first part of Freshman year were brutal, but now he has settled in and he loves it!

Yeah, from what I understand, the first year is not “fun” but definitely worth it! 

• Like 4

My son just got an acceptance to Stevens Tech today.  This was a safety school for him, so he's not super emotional about it, but still something to be proud and happy about.  He'd much rather go to Penn State UP  though, and we already have a deposit in there. (very excited about Penn State!) He's really just waiting on the major reach schools before we will truly know.  

• Like 24

On 3/17/2019 at 1:54 AM, frogger said:

So RootAnn already added UAH with Charger Distiction scholarship but I can add Missouri Science and Technology with a Miners Scholarship and University of Alaska Fairbanks with Chancellor's scholarship.

He is pretty set on UAH though.

I graduated from Missouri S&T (although it was called the University of Missouri at Rolla at that time)! Dh graduated from there as well. Let me know if you have any questions about the school. 

Congratulations to your ds on all of his accomplishments! It's great to have choices! 😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Son got accepted to Emory/Oxford and UC Santa Barbara this week. We are in CA so still waiting to hear from a few more UCs  before making a decision. We are very thankful and not taking anything for granted. So many with stellar stats were rejected/waitlisted that I started to wonder if applying as a homeschooler is a hook of some sort.

Edited by Malory
  • Like 30

I posted this on the "30 days and waiting" thread, but thought I should also post it here as I always enjoyed reading this thread when my kids were younger.  My D was offered admission to 7 out of the 8 schools on her list. This was my third and last time through the process.  My D applied to more schools than my other two combined, mainly because I wanted her to have options between a liberal arts school and a tech school if she changed her mind about what she wanted over the span of senior year.  

She was offered admissions to the following:

Grinnell (with merit)

Hamilton

Williams

Worcester Polytechnic Institute (with merit)

Rochester Institute of Technology (with merit)

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (with merit)

Our state flagship (with merit)

I am 99.9% sure what her decision is going to be, and will come back to update this post when it is 100%.

• Like 26

On 3/20/2019 at 5:11 PM, kokotg said:

DS accepted at Hamilton!!!! He's had 5 waitlists and 1 rejection over the past week, so we really needed this one to get him out of his funk. And one of his top choices, so even better!

My son is at Hamilton and loves it. With the huge bump in applicants this year that is quite an accomplishment. Congrarts to your son. 

• Like 9

@Malory I listed your son's acceptance under Oxford College of Emory University. If you'd rather I list it under Emory instead, let me know. I wasn't sure if I should put it under E or O. :blush:

Congrats to those accepted. Condolences on the recent rejections & waitlist notifications. I had a chance to update the list just now, so make sure to check I didn't mess anything up while doing so. Best of luck to those still waiting for notifications! (My DD could tell you how many days, hours, and minutes are left until "decision day." It is right around the corner.)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, RootAnn said:

@Malory I listed your son's acceptance under Oxford College of Emory University. If you'd rather I list it under Emory instead, let me know. I wasn't sure if I should put it under E or O. :blush:

Thank you, @RootAnn. 🙂 He was accepted to both Oxford and Emory College and today got notified of the scholarship they're awarding him. Not much compared to the total cost of attending, but still appreciated. 

• Like 11

DS accepted to Oberlin with John F. Oberlin scholarship (and very, very nice need based aid, too). His dad went to Oberlin, so that would be cool. We just rearranged spring break next week so we can make one of the accepted students days.

• Like 25

On 3/21/2019 at 9:08 AM, Malory said:

Son got accepted to Emory/Oxford and UC Santa Barbara this week. We are in CA so still waiting to hear from a few more UCs  before making a decision. We are very thankful and not taking anything for granted. So many with stellar stats were rejected/waitlisted that I started to wonder if applying as a homeschooler is a hook of some sort.

@Malory Congrats to your son being accepted to Emory/Oxford and UC Santa Barbara! By any chance, did your son apply to UCLA ? And assuming your son is homeschooled, how did he fulfill the requirement of a-g for UC admission particularly the Geometry course due to there are no existence of SAT subject test of Geometry ? Do you mind to shared your son's stats of any submitted SAT General Test, SAT Subject Tests, AP with their scores, repectively ? We would like to learn what kind of tests and scores to be expected to get admitted to the UC campus because we also live in CA.  Looking forward to receiving your valuable input and Thank You very much for your time!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ValRN said:

DD was awarded a Swarthmore College Scholarship at Swarthmore College. It is extremely generous and makes Swarthmore financially possible for us.

That’s particularly impressive, because that’s a merit scholarship right? Your Dd must have be an exceptional applicant!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

That’s particularly impressive, because that’s a merit scholarship right? Your Dd must have be an exceptional applicant!

@madteaparty We've only been able to find general information about this scholarship. We are guessing it's merit because we've never qualified for need-based aid (3rd DC going to college). I would say that even admitted students who were not offered scholarships are exceptional applicants because Swarthmore had like an 8.5-8.6% acceptance rate this round. https://www.swarthmore.edu/news-events/995-admitted-to-swarthmore-class-2023?fbclid=IwAR2U-CPqpmxcXCQs2Uknrzzv7ZzRWxzTNeTaKt_asj5pExzdE5VN8xZeYbo

Edited by ValRN
address poster
  • Like 6

On 3/20/2019 at 2:44 PM, Calming Tea said:

Meanwhile I’m crying in Walmart as I but dorm supplies because there’s a little one behind me and my boy is all grown up! How did this happen?

Oh gosh! I'm dreading buying dorm supplies. This is my 3rd and last. Yay! Back to work I go (maybe).

• Like 2

On 3/16/2019 at 12:47 PM, JazzyMom said:

This morning, ds put down an enrollment deposit and registered for orientation at the University of Texas at Austin!!! 

Hook 'em, Horns! My nephew graduated from UT Austin a few years ago. I also graduated from UT many moons ago. I live in MD, but my roots are in TX.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ValRN said:

DD was awarded a Swarthmore College Scholarship at Swarthmore College. It is extremely generous and makes Swarthmore financially possible for us.

Yay!  That’s wonderful.  Are you still waiting to hear from another school or are all results in?  Is she close to a decision?

I love hearing from UT grads because they all seem to love the school so much.  I never dreamed ds would end up there, and I’m so happy for him and so thankful! I think he’s going to have a great experience.

2 hours ago, ValRN said:

Wow, congratulations!

I graduated from Swarthmore many (many!) years ago and still very much appreciate the education I received there.  

• Like 3

DS accepted at Vassar. That's the last one except Harvard (which we're definitely not expecting an acceptance from!) so it's very nice to end on a high note after a couple of weeks with lots and up and downs 🙂 Now for visits and re-visits and decisions!

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 25