Menu

JAWM: I hate stuffed animals and I don't want your junk

Katy

I really hate them. My kids don't play with more than one or two of them, they take up a huge amount of space, they are filled with dust mites and flame retardants.

I especially hate them when you say you're shipping me several boxes of clothes for my kids, or to donate to the foster parent clothing closet if we can't use them, and instead it's 3 1/2 huge boxes of stuffed animals and half a box of clothes.  Seriously, if you don't have the space for the overflow of junk in your own house and none of the charities in your area take donated used stuffed animals, why not just pay the fee for the extra trash and get rid of them, rather than sending them priority mail to me?  I'm sure there's a charity that would rather have had the $80 you just paid to the post office to get this JUNK into my house, when you could have paid $5 in trash overage tags. Now I have to get rid of them and make a trip to the recycle center in the next town over to get rid of the boxes that are so big the recycle pickup won't take them.

Signed,

Overwhelmed with Junk I Don't Need

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

The only thing worse than a box of stuffed animals is a box of SINGING, MECHANICAL, HOLIDAY-THEMED stuffed animals.

I'm looking glaring at you, MIL.

You are so right.  There was only one holiday themed animal in the boxes, but the same person has bought my DC every single noisy toy they own.

• Like 2

Yes. Our neighbor, who is a dear sweet old lady, gave me a huge box of ancient stuffed animals and dolls for the girls. One of them is a cheap stuffed bear that's ripped open in three different places. And because she's a dear sweet old lady, I just smiled and thanked her profusely and hauled it home. *headdesk*

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WendyAndMilo said:

I never understood why people treat their stuffed animals that way, never getting washed, thrown in corners, god-knows-what getting gunked up in their fur....

Don't they know they all come alive at night?  Forget Santa and the Easter Bunny, it's the corduroy bears and velveteen rabbits that really matter.

(Yes, I am the crazy lady that has saved all of my DS's stuffed animals and happily buys him more whenever he wants).

Same here!

I still love stuffed animals!!!

• Like 2

Oh, but it's so hard to know what to do with old stuffed animals that you were once so sentimental about!

But I still feel the same way as you.  ?  I've been cleaning out our attic, and made my kids go through their various piles.  I was surprised at the stuffed animals they wanted to save.  When I asked them why, they said to pass on to their children and nephews and nieces someday.  I had to tell them, "Honey, your kids and nephews and nieces aren't gonna want your old stuffed animals!  They're going to want their own fresh brand new ones."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mergath said:

Yes. Our neighbor, who is a dear sweet old lady, gave me a huge box of ancient stuffed animals and dolls for the girls. One of them is a cheap stuffed bear that's ripped open in three different places. And because she's a dear sweet old lady, I just smiled and thanked her profusely and hauled it home. *headdesk*

That was so incredibly sweet of you!  

• Like 1

For years my MIL would buy stuffed animals for cheap from the store she worked at. I guess they ship light and that was her way of showing love from 1000 miles away. We had so, so many of them and my kids loved receiving them, and had fond memories of opening up packages, but they didn't actually play with the things, and God forbid I should get rid of them. We finally had to put our foot down about it with MIL, and then walked the older kids through decluttering. Now they each have one or two very special ones and a couple of beanie-sized ones, and that's just right for them.

I'm glad we did it when we did, because my when my youngest sees a stuffed animal she absolutely must pick it up and love it. And she does have a few more stuffies than the older kids, because she actually plays with them. We just finally don't have the constant influx of new animals.

• Like 2

When DD was a toddler she was fondling a stuffed animal at a garage sale.  I gave a firm No to that, but I'd been very Yes to other stuff, so the people asked me why.   I said that they just breed like bunnies and I don't need to bring any more into my house voluntarily.    They laughed and agreed.  And the stuffies have bred.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My adult DD still has a couple of shelves full of stuffed animals. I urge her to rid herself of this scourge (except for the first one I gave her when she was born). She likes them. Apparently, my views didn't rub off on her enough. Now she buys big stuffed animals for our dogs to play with. Never mind that the dogs ignore them.

The shelves at Goodwill are full of stuffed animals for a reason.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MissLemon said:

My sister told me "I know you said no stuffed animals and yes to books, but no boy wants books!  And every kid needs a stuffed teddy bear!" 

My dad won Christmas one year by giving my kids an over-sized book of history. When they gasped in pleasure and showed it around, the others started to get the message. They still gave lots of junk, but at least with some books mixed in! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pickle Dust said:

My adult DD still has a couple of shelves full of stuffed animals. I urge her to rid herself of this scourge (except for the first one I gave her when she was born). She likes them. Apparently, my views didn't rub off on her enough. Now she buys big stuffed animals for our dogs to play with. Never mind that the dogs ignore them.

The shelves at Goodwill are full of stuffed animals for a reason.

Why would you urge her to get rid of them if she likes them? 

• Like 3

All three of my kids still have stuffed animals.  Oldest dd (24) only has a few very special ones, ds (13) has a pretty extensive collection mostly Pokemon, an opabinia, and a few Minecraft things.  I think he gave a few to his younger sister but a lot of them tend to jump back and forth between their rooms.  Dd (11) probably has the most including most of the FNAF sister location characters, a trilobite and a bunch of others.   Both the younger kids alternate which ones they sleep with.

I still have a couple of my teddy-bears from when I was a kid.

I live in a University community. Years ago there was a news story about one of the art or fashion students who went to Goodwill, bought a bunch of stuffed animals, washed them, and made a long, colorful "fur" coat out of them. I thought it was a really creative way to use old stuffed animals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I saved a few of the kids’ favorites. But now I look for good, sturdy ones to give to the dog. I’ve had a few strange looks at the resale shop when they’ve seen me explaining to Dh that no, that’s not a good one, the eyes are hard and she’d eat them. I then slit them open and insert a squeaker. She’s got a beautiful Steiff fox now that was made in 1973, I think; it cost me a whole quarter!

I usually dislike all stuffed animals (for all the reasons above - the dust, the space-hoggishness, the breeding....)... but Steiff is the single exception and the thought of a dog chewing happily on a 1973 Steiff fox made my heart skip a beat! ? ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, --- said:

Maybe you could have a burning party with them.  Bonfire, marshmallows, etc.  Along the lines of ripping the heads off Barbies and using the headless bodies for clubs to whack each other, which my kids used to do with the few Barbies they had.  lol

My grown kids still have some stuffed animals.  But they're more the unusual kinds.  Full of personality, oddish things.  

And, yeah, dh's mother used to buy the noisiest toys she could find.  I always turned them over to the kids and they ended up broken (and thrown out) almost as fast as they got their hands on them.  

I would love that idea if they were stuffed with cotton instead of polyester fill.  Burning polyester isn't something I want to fill the air with, and it definitely isn't something you want around food.  I'm pretty sure all of it is carcinogenic in fumes.