Menu

washer/dryer recommendations

Noreen Claire

My dryer is on its way out. I'm going to start looking for a new one, and figure I'll replace the washer at the same time (they came with the house and booth look pretty old).

Do you have an absolutely awesome washer/dryer that you can recommend?

FWIW, I have five sons, four of them are young. We cloth diaper, but probably not for too much longer. (DS23mos is showing signs of wanting to use the potty.) I'm looking for: reasonable price, easy enough that DS9 can continue to work it on his own, durable, and can do large loads of towels/sheets as well as small loads. Can stack or be side-by-side. Gas dryer is a must.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

So what qualifies as dryer dying? I also hate replacing things that still sort of work, but...not drying things past half way? Alternatively, running all night like a zombie even I’ve turned the button off?

Dryers are fairly easy to fix.  The lack of drying can be as easy as the dryer vent line is clogged with lint to a heating element dying/out.  The running when you know you turned it off sounds like the motherboard may be going or the button is bad.  YouTube has wonderful videos along with repair clinic.com on how to fix it.  

I replaced my dryer when the replacement parts start adding up to half the cost of a new one. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 2

We live in a Tropical Valley and we do not have a Clothes Dryer.   My wife LOVES the Samsung washing machine she bought to replace our elderly Whirlpool machine. I think the Samsung will be in service 3 years, next month.  It is a big one, much larger capacity than the Whirlpool with an Agitator, which still works and is retired in the Laundry Room.

If there is a difference, between brands or models, among similar machines with similar prices, regarding the length of the warranty, I would go for the machine with the longest (comprehensive) warranty.   If there is no difference in warranty, I would look seriously at the Samsung washing machines.

Good luck with what you buy!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, madteaparty said:

So what qualifies as dryer dying? I also hate replacing things that still sort of work, but...not drying things past half way? Alternatively, running all night like a zombie even I’ve turned the button off?

It isn't drying full loads of laundry. First, it was just big loads of towels. (I would just run it twice, DH would dry half a load at a time.) Now, it's not drying the jeans in a medium-sized load of kid clothes with two pairs of DS6s jeans in it.

I figured I should start gathering information if I was going to have to replace it soon, so that I could be on the lookout for a good deal. 

7 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Dryers are fairly easy to fix.  The lack of drying can be as easy as the dryer vent line is clogged with lint to a heating element dying/out.  The running when you know you turned it off sounds like the motherboard may be going or the button is bad.  YouTube has wonderful videos along with repair clinic.com on how to fix it.  

I replaced my dryer when the replacement parts start adding up to half the cost of a new one. 

I will have DH check this out today! That would be so much better than buying a new one...

It's an awesome feeling to repair something like a drier, at least for me! Realizing that I can understand how a machine works, buy a ten dollar part, and make it work again is pretty satisfying. My husband can do this with cars, but that's still too intimidating for me. It doesn't help that one of his steps always seems to be "come inside angry, giving the impression that the car will never work again." You tube videos are super helpful, for sure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, xahm said:

It's an awesome feeling to repair something like a drier, at least for me! Realizing that I can understand how a machine works, buy a ten dollar part, and make it work again is pretty satisfying. My husband can do this with cars, but that's still too intimidating for me. It doesn't help that one of his steps always seems to be "come inside angry, giving the impression that the car will never work again." You tube videos are super helpful, for sure!

Haha, I know that look! (Not about car work, but still)

Our 20yo dryer started making an expensive-sounding noise last weekend, and thanks to YouTube we took it apart, diagnosed the problem, and ordered the part. Hoping to get it back together today so I can test it out tomorrow. This process worked last time the (much younger) washing machine went in the fritz, so I'm optimistic.

• Like 2