Menu

How long do you take Sambucol?

Ali in OR

My dd and I both used Sambucol for the first time last winter--not in time for my 5 week cold, but the next illness after that. Both of us believe it works to greatly lessen or shorten an illness. The first time we used it at the very start of symptoms, we felt so much better the next day that we decided it saved us from getting sick, then we stopped using it and got hit with the full cold. Even the second illness I think I only used it 2 or 3 days and got sicker when I stopped. So this week when I felt a cold coming on Sunday night, I vowed to take it all week. Once again, I think it greatly lessened symptoms. I've taken it for 5 days and I'm feeling good. This stuff is expensive and I want it to be around the next time I feel something coming on, so I don't want to take it if it's done its job. So, how many days do you take Sambucol to fight off an illness?

I usually take 1 tsp of elderberry syrup every night from about now until spring. I forget on occasion. I up it as directed to help hold off a cold if I feel one coming on. It's pricey, but not as expensive as cold meds, extra kleenex and a Dr's office copay. I agree that it helps a lot. I get the Honey Gardens brand on Amazon and can get it for about $15 for an 8 oz bottle right now, which is a good price.

• Like 3

Elderberry syrup is super easy to make. There are lots of online recipes available, but it's as easy as pasta and sauce from a jar.  Basically you simmer the elderberries in water for 40 minutes, strain, cool, add honey. I think I pay $16 for a pound af elderberries ( which seems to make at least 4 batches of 24 oz) and some for honey (preferably raw). 

• Like 4

I don't make syrup.  I started making tea when I went lower carb and didn't want the honey or sugars.  I did almost the same beginning of boiling as freesia did.  I think I boiled elderberries for 20 minute, strain, and don't add honey, instead, I poured into ice cube trays.  Then, every evening, I would plop an ice cube in boiling water, add some stevia (or not) and drink it.

I think it comes to less than .05 per cup of tea.  And it works.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I don't make syrup.  I started making tea when I went lower carb and didn't want the honey or sugars.  I did almost the same beginning of boiling as freesia did.  I think I boiled elderberries for 20 minute, strain, and don't add honey, instead, I poured into ice cube trays.  Then, every evening, I would plop an ice cube in boiling water, add some stevia (or not) and drink it.

I think it comes to less than .05 per cup of tea.  And it works.

What a great idea!! Thanks Dawn.

• Like 1

I never answered the "how long" question.

We don't dose daily.  If we are exposed to something, everyone takes a spoonful once a day for a couple of days. As soon as someone has symptoms, I have them take a spoonful 3x a day for a few days.  If someone has symptoms in our house, everyone takes a spoonful a day.  I don't really know how long my kids who are sick take the syrup, bc, although I remind them, I don't actively make sure they take it past the second day or so unless they are clearly super sick.  We don't tend to get super sick around here, though.  Elderberry syrup has made a big difference.

• Like 1

I’m in the make my own, take a teaspoon a day camp. Last winter, I got 2 very mild colds right at the beginning of school, then started elderberry syrup. No illnesses at all the rest of the winter despite a very intense cold and flu season and regular exposure to preschoolers  that catch everything. 

This year I caught a virus the first week of August! from those same preschoolers, having not started elderberry syrup yet. You can be sure I am taking syrup now!

I ordered one pound of organic elderberries from Amazon and bought raw local honey. Total cost about $30 for the year. 

• Like 1

The other thing I do, and I am NOT an essential oils person, so I only say this because it works.....  I add a drop or two of thieves to my tea and drink it.  It is a natural antibiotic (of sorts!) and really helps.  It doesn't taste the best, but it works when I am sick.

Edited by DawnM