Menu

How do I learn SEO? Assume I know nothing.

ktgrok

Seriously, I just found out what the abbreviation even MEANS, so rank beginner. But I'm fairly smart, so I think I can learn, if I can find resources geared to a beginner. So far, all the websites I'm finding assume I already know a bunch, and just want to get better. I need the kindergarten primer, and I'm not finding it. My goal is to get a bit better at self marketing for my author stuff as well as to possibly start doing dog training again and marketing that. 

Bonus points if you also know of a website to help me learn more about video editing, facebook and instagram ads, etc. (video would be for the dog training stuff, not the book stuff. Short videos demonstrating various techniques, etc). 

• Like 1

So, I'm all ears if anyone has a great tutorial. I spent some time trying to school myself and I honestly got really frustrated. A lot of the things that bugged me about trying to improve SEO scores for pages were so trivial. One thing I really learned for me is not to do the  formatting the way I want or think looks best. Instead, do it the way the SEO thinks is better. For example, be sure to use headers - don't just use bolding. No complex sentence structures. No big vocabulary. Ugh. You can see why I started to get annoyed...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

So, I'm all ears if anyone has a great tutorial. I spent some time trying to school myself and I honestly got really frustrated. A lot of the things that bugged me about trying to improve SEO scores for pages were so trivial. One thing I really learned for me is not to do the  formatting the way I want or think looks best. Instead, do it the way the SEO thinks is better. For example, be sure to use headers - don't just use bolding. No complex sentence structures. No big vocabulary. Ugh. You can see why I started to get annoyed...

lol, yeah....that sounds frustrating!

• Like 1

cindylouwho2 on etsy is a great resource for SEO information.  I know the Etsy part of it will be useless to you but she does also have a lot of info on SEO for google, as well as keyword research, marketing, tons of stuff.  She does it for free because it interests her; she was an IP lawyer in a past life and is just brilliant but has mitochondrial disease and set up an etsy shop selling jewelry so that as her cognitive function declines she can still be productive (she no longer has the brain for the stuff she did in her healthier years but her brain is still miles ahead of mine).  

Our shop on Etsy is very successful.  We are the most successful label shop on Etsy.  I would say a good 1/3 of that is because I read her advice regularly.

Anyway, here is her google+ page (which is closing soon):  https://plus.google.com/collection/ofehY  

and here is her sort of regularly updated list of interesting articles: https://www.etsy.com/teams/10713/etsy-relevancy-seo-and-stats/discuss/18383437

I find those massively useful, tbh.

• Like 3

The most important thing I can say to you about SEO is that you must make sure you're not making coding errors and stuff, if you're listing on your own site; the second most important thing is that search engines are designed, in their ideal form, to let searchers find the best material for their search.  That means that the best way to do SEO is to focus on what appeals to your customers, what works for your website, what makes sense to someone looking for your things.

Keyword research is also really important, because it gives you the long tail (that is, lots of varied keywords and phrases that you might not have thought of yourself that people do search when they look for your type of material or items).  

• Like 1

I've just been reading a ton of stuff online. It's very time consuming, but there are some things you read over and over so I'm figuring out stuff like long tail (mentioned by moonflower). Haven't necessarily found any tutorials that were particularly valuable. You might see if there are books on SEO on Amazon that are highly rated.

You could try the SEO for Dummies book, it's decent for beginners. Then try youtube tutorials though I agree that even the beginner ones assume some level of knowledge and go so fast. The underlying idea with SEO doesn't really change but the approaches used change quite fast which makes for loads of tutorials and articles about whatever the latest tactic is. It's also very tied up in really fundamental things about how you build your website and write the content for pages, it's not just about keywords so it does take a bit of time to even get a basic understanding of. 

Udemy has good ones, I did both the Moz course and the Kent course. The Kent course spelled out why things were important and what you were trying to do with certain actions more. But, it assumes you have a website to work with already or are building a website. Some of the info can be used for ads, etc., but a ton of SEO is about links and that's what he focuses on. (edit: I don't mean he only focuses on that, more that I just remember him talking about it a lto, lol. It's been a while and I can't remember the exact proportions)

I did the course by Peter Kent. 

SEO Trainig Course by Moz was the other one

Edited by Moonhawk

The best thing you can do is to have unique content on your web pages.  Years ago, there was SEO stuff that I tried to do, but I think Google, Bing and the other search engines know all of those things and they don't help now.  Unique content.  Unique content.  Unique content.

• Like 1

Yes, Lanny.  and don't try to gimmick things - don't pay people for reviews, or go spamming your site places where it isn't relevant (these things are probably obvious but you'd be surprised what people think is a good idea), or stuff titles of pages so full of keywords that they're incoherent.