Menu

What's with the ads?

Hilltopmom

comfortable shoes for being on feet all day!- updated

**Updated down thread-

I need new comfy shoes for being on my feet all day on concrete/ tile floor.

Special ed preschool teacher in public schools. Expected to dress up, no one really wears sneakers except on casual Friday.

I wear an 11, which makes it harder.

Have a heelspur that bothers me on and off and tbh loosing weight would help with the sore feet but is not happening right now.

I already use Superfeet inserts in all my shoes & have no qualms about spending $100 ish per pair.  Need black, tan, & maybe navy too.

prefer something as comfy & supportive as sneakers, but dressier looking. Not dress shoes per se, but not obviously Nike’s either. 

have been getting by with a mix of loafers (old need replacing), Merrill slip ons (too narrow for my inserts), & sandals so far this year but sandal season is over.

Just got a pair of llbean sport Mary Janes I’ve had in the past & think those will be ok for one pair. But need more. 

ETA- available on Zappos or somewhere with free returns a huge plus, no stores nearby here, rural area

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

Thanks!

I’ve never worn Dansko, even when I worked at a hospital, lol. But I do like that look & love clogs.

Right now I’m eyeing Alegria clogs and Easy Spirit Traveltime slip ons (a bit too casual but with long pants probably ok, I need new around the house shoes too anyways)

Earthies flats are fairly cushy and have a bit of arch support.

Bjorn flats have more arch support and a little less cush but are still cushy.

If you tend toward PF, I'd consider Abeo shoes with low heels.  Best arch support I have ever tried--even better than Dansko.  Absolutely extraordinary.

If you could wear sneakers, I would recommend trying Altra shoes--they are amazing.  Zero drop, more cushy than any other shoes I have ever worn, and an amazing amount of room for your toes to spread out in.

• Like 3

We're casual in Oregon (especially teachers of the very young) and many wear sneakers or Birkenstocks. I have PF off and on. I have a pair of Earth brand flats I bought locally and that led me to order a pair of Earthies flats (very hard to find navy flats but they had some) and I find I can wear both all day with no heel pain. I believe the Earth brands/Earthies website had free returns--I didn't have to use it. My low Born black motorcycle style boots are awesome. I am glad I can wear Vans or running shoes a day or two per week also--don't think I could do flats 5 days a week but the boots work for every day.

• Like 2

You know, the world would probably not end if I wore sneakers, lol. I work for a private agency in a school, but all the other teachers dress up more than me. 

When they see me in the hall I’m usually wrangling a screaming child or sitting on the floor with one, so maybe no one is really looking at my shoes anyways, lol.

i May try a pair of those Altras  too

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My mom has been loving fit flops recently (they have more than just flip flops and sandals). I know she has a pair of flats she likes a lot and either a loafer type or a clog.

• Like 2

Teva makes ankle  boots - waterproof suede with zip side that are pretty comfortable and look better than sneakers. They come in tan. 

Altra Escalante is a sneaker, but maybe in black or grey it would be okay?  Very comfortable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Thanks!

I’ve never worn Dansko, even when I worked at a hospital, lol. But I do like that look & love clogs.

Right now I’m eyeing Alegria clogs and Easy Spirit Traveltime slip ons (a bit too casual but with long pants probably ok, I need new around the house shoes too anyways)

I’ve worn the black Kayla shoes from Algeria for years. I have a standing desk at work and also walk to and from work and during my lunch/breaks, so pretty much on my feet all work day except during meetings. I get them from Zappos and usually order a new set of inserts at the same time to extend their life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For a shoe that feels like a sneaker but isn’t, I like the Keen Presidio. I’ve had PF in the past and wear custom orthotics, and I can walk or stand in these shoes just like I would a sneaker without foot pain at the end of the day.

• Like 1

I teach high school and have always worn sneakers. I tried wearing dress shoes the very first day and could barely stand by the end. I generally have 10,000 steps by the end of the school day.

• Like 3

Sanita’s is the original mare of what we call the Dansko shoe.  Sanita’s are cheaper and have better support but not as many pretty styles.  Try them on though as they are not the same one pair to another.  I tried on four pairs in the same size before I found THE pair.  Eight years ago.  They are wonderful for *standing* for a long time.

Fir being on your feet AND moving around a lot, you want a more flexible sole.  Expect to spend $125 a pair not on sale. Merrill’s work great for me but I need a really big toe box and they aren’t the most beautiful shoes ever. 

• Like 1

What do you mean by dress up?  Just no jeans, or actually wearing more professional looking suit type clothing?  

I have worked in public education for 20 years (17 years before homeschooling and then I have been back 3 years after homeschooling) and have worked in schools that allowed jeans every day and schools that allowed jeans only on Friday.  But I have never been told to dress up.

I wear mules almost daily.  I discovered them when I was pregnant 20 years ago and I have worn them ever since.  They aren't super dressy, unless you wear long pants.  I typically wear capris.  They look just ok with capris, but I really don't care, I am going for comfort.

• Like 2

I’ve been having great luck with alegria shoes for my fussy feet.  I use happy feet insoles in walking shoes too.  They are easy and free to return if you mail order   Even their cute shoes are so comfortable  

https://www.alegriashoeshop.com/

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1

I’m not on my feet all day (I do have a couple sprints to the bus/office) but the Lands end penny loafers are surprisingly comfortable and not quite so ugly as other comfortable shoes ? 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the recommendations, I’m checking them all out.

I typically wear Lands End starfish pants with a jersey tunic or swing top, a scarf or nice necklace to dress it up. That outfit looks frumpy with sneakers but better with clogs or mules.

Ive noticed in this setting the teachers wear dresses, or dress slacks and dressier tops and nice shoes. The aides all wear sneakers. 

I probably will wear sneakers at least on gym days (I have to participate with my students).

I’ve just been feeling sort of underdressed in the hallways, but have no urge to dress “that” much nicer, lol. (I did actually buy a ton of new clothes this summer so my wardrobe is better than last year. I have some nicer tops, sweaters, & dresses for when I need them)

My own agency dress code is no jeans, “professional but comfortable” clothes because we sit on the floor a lot. (Professional not meaning suits though) Plus it’s preschool so we get messy.

i dunno maybe I’m overthinking this. Feeling frumpy and old compared to all the cute young & thin teachers in dresses and heeled boots! - doesn’t help I took over a decade off & am just coming back to teaching.

either way, my feet need to be comfy so I’m not limping by evening!

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

These are not the most glamorous shoes, but they are meant specifically for those with heel issues...

https://www.kurufootwear.com/womens-grace.html?color=JetBlack

They have a few different styles of “dressier” shoes and then several athletic shoes. They also allow you to try them on and return for free within a certain amount of time if you don’t like them. 

I have a few pairs of the athletic styles and they’ve been great for my feet. 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

Birkenstock clogs have the same footbed as the sandals, if those are comfortable.  I also like vionic - they have sparkly sandals, ankle boots, and other styles.  Clarks also makes a variety of styles, but I've found their sizing to be the most inconsistent -  I have everything from 8.5-10 in my closet.  

• Like 1

Birkenstock clogs have the same footbed as the sandals, if those are comfortable.  I also like vionic - they have sparkly sandals, ankle boots, and other styles.  Clarks also makes a variety of styles, but I've found their sizing to be the most inconsistent -  I have everything from 8.5-10 in my closet.  

I've had PF and work in a bcasual dress code place, so I'm always looking for comfortable, nice-looking shoes. Brands I recommend considering are Clarks, Born, Ecco, Olukai, Naot, Merrell, Mephisto, Vionic, and Studio C.

I have Ecco Abelone booties and Adel tall boots, and they are very comfortable. Ecco has a nice wide toe box, so your orthotics should work with them. The Abelone has a removable insert with an arch support, but interestingly I find the Adel a bit more comfortable with its flat footbed. I can wear those Adel tall boots all day long, and my feet feel great.

I love the leather and soles in my Olukai Kiele loafers. The leather is very soft, and it has never rubbed the backs of my ankles. They come with removable arch support orthotics, but the orthotics make my feet feel sweaty and weird if I'm not wearing thin socks. 

I've worn Clarks, Born, and Naot clogs for years. Clarks' quality and fit can be all over the place, though, and they seem to have gotten less comfortable over the years (maybe it's me...). My Naot clogs purchased 12 years ago have nice thick hardwearing leather, an arch support, and are cut very wide, so I only wear them in winter with thick socks. My Born clogs are the least comfortable of the three, but they have other styles like Mary Janes that my dd found to be really nice.

I don't have shoes from the other brands. I noted them because they were in a Comfort One shoe store I visited.

Hope you find something that works!

• Like 1

Altra Intuition might be close enough to shoe look you want—more Oxford look.    The Escalante is more sneaker look but is the most comfortable shoe I have had : I got men’s because my feet are wide. I got it in a dark grey and it goes well with black leggings and tunics in a variety of colors. (ETA I think they would probably look fine with Starfish pants and Tunic).  Altra has a pretty good return policy to try on at home if you buy direct, I believe. I’ve used a local store. 

I also got a clog from the store that worked for me  called something similar to the superfeet insoles, I vaguely recall     Or Keen utility clog style shoe might work    Shoes meant for chefs on feet cooking all day  

I had a pair of dansko clogs that looked great and were sworn by salespeople to be super comfortable. They hurt my feet, but you might find them good.  My feet problem was in the toe not heel  

Llbean has some shoes that might work for you 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

You could also perhaps try Amazon Prime Wardrobe if you have Prime.   For free returns and to try a few things on at home. 

• Like 2

This thread inspired me to buy another pair of Ecco boots. $57 on ebay, shipped! They were a store display; I guess that's a plus for having small feet. You might have good luck on ebay because your feet are on the other side of the curve.

Happy birthday to me! I hope this pair is as comfy as the others!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, MomsintheGarden said:

This thread inspired me to buy another pair of Ecco boots. $57 on ebay, shipped! They were a store display; I guess that's a plus for having small feet. You might have good luck on ebay because your feet are on the other side of the curve.

Happy birthday!

• Like 1

Adding: customer comments on oofos clogs said someone slipped out and had a bad injury. I think that could happen with any Clog, or mule, especially open back ones.  I had it happen with Birkenstocks and have not wanted to wear Birkenstock since. 

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

So I’ve got $700 worth of shoes sitting in my cart, lol!

just have to order.

zappos & kuru both do the free returns ?

fingers crossed!

Do come back to this thread to let us know what ends up working for you.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MomsintheGarden said:

This thread also enabled me to by a pair of Alegria boots on close out.  ?  In shoe shopping solidarity ....

• Like 1

I am more like a 10 1/2 narrow which means I have to shop for an 11. I love Naot shoes. They are naturally more narrow. I have had three foot surgeries after a tendon rupture, and I have walked 15,000+ steps in these shoes a day while traveling this summer. I wear them to school; I wear them around the block; I wear them to church... you get the idea. 

Regardless which shoe you select. Please know that it will take some time for you to find the perfect fit - just like in Cinderella - but it is worth it. 

Edited by lmrich

After many orders and returns from Zappos & a few other places, the current winners are:

Alegria Kayla clogs  (in black, but I’m going to order another pair in a fun color too)- they are sort of like Danskos. I really loved the look of the patterned Mary Jane they make but the fit was off for me compared to the clog.

and a running store also helped me out with a very supportive pair of sneakers that I’ve been wearing every other day (not dressy at all, but whatever). Turns out I need a lot of support and just using Superfeet inserts wasn’t enough 

I also started wearing a pair of wool Birkenstock like clogs I’d forgotten I had, for around the house.

my feet are much happier ?

thanks all!

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 8

If you have an abeo dealer nearby, it is worth going in.  They will check you feet by having you walk across a pad, and then stand still on the pad, to see how your feet carry your weight both in walking mode and standing mode.  Then they'll give you the proper insole or direct you to the shoes that suit your needs.

I have the same foot problems as you (need arch support to help my heel spur and plantar fasciitis).  I have used Superfeet for 10 years, and they're great, but lately, the balls of my feet hurt all the time, as well as the center of my heels (not on the spur).  

These shoes are amazing.  I have always hated shoes in the house, but these are so comfortable, I leave them on all day long!  They provide the arch support and supported heel cup like Superfeet, but they're also cushioned on my heel and the ball of my foot, so they distribute the weight in those areas.  I love them.

They have many styles, different heel heights, and they all fit differently.  I had to try on several because my toes are so wide.  But it was worth it.  

https://www.abeofootwear.com

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

If you have an abeo dealer nearby, it is worth going in.  They will check you feet by having you walk across a pad, and then stand still on the pad, to see how your feet carry your weight both in walking mode and standing mode.  Then they'll give you the proper insole or direct you to the shoes that suit your needs.

I have the same foot problems as you (need arch support to help my heel spur and plantar fasciitis).  I have used Superfeet for 10 years, and they're great, but lately, the balls of my feet hurt all the time, as well as the center of my heels (not on the spur).  

These shoes are amazing.  I have always hated shoes in the house, but these are so comfortable, I leave them on all day long!  They provide the arch support and supported heel cup like Superfeet, but they're also cushioned on my heel and the ball of my foot, so they distribute the weight in those areas.  I love them.

They have many styles, different heel heights, and they all fit differently.  I had to try on several because my toes are so wide.  But it was worth it.  

https://www.abeofootwear.com

This sounds awesome. None near me but maybe next time I’m travelling.

thanks!

• Like 1