Menu

Lost Tools of Writing Invention question

I tried a search and didn't find an answer to this on here or on the Yahoo group.

We decided to use "The Gift of the Magi" for our source material for our ANI.  We were using the common topics for Invention, (in this case, comparison) and I was looking at their example questions in the curriculum. This is one of them:

How is Della (from our story) like Jane Eyre?

I am so lost on this. We are comparing our character in a short story to a character in a novel. In this case, a novel we have not read.  Why would they compare Della to Jane Eyre? Is it normal to compare a character in a story to a character in a totally different story?  Can we really assume in an essay that our reader has read both?  Am I missing something here? It makes sense if we are doing history to compare one historical leader to another, but this comparison of characters is confusing me. 

Maybe they mean that as an example and you put your own example in there. Like, how is Della like Lucy (Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe)? I'd just try to think of characters in other books read to compare her to for that ecample. In that short story, it isn't like there are a lot of characters to compare her to.

I can't stand The Gift of the Magi or the Pearls short story everyone uses, although the female characters in those are very different and could be used as contrasting characters. 

• Like 1