Menu

moto G5 plus camera not working well....help!

kfeusse

Over a year ago it was  recommended on a thread I started that I buy a Moto G5 plus tracfone. I was looking for a phone with a good camera  and good storage.  This one fit the bill and for the most part I love it.  But just recently, the camera is malfunctioning and I was wondering if anybody could help me.  What happens is that I tap on the camera app and I get this message "Camera error...please restart camera"....at first when I "restarted it"...it would work right away...but now I am restarting the camera over and over again...last night I think it was about 10 tries before it actually worked.  

Can anybody give me some advice?  I really wasn't ready to buy a new phone yet...but I rely on this camera for work and personal use.  

thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I have this same phone...and the same problem! My dh (tech guy) fixed it for me. It had to do with the apps having access to the camera. You need to find the apps camera permission setting and decline permissions for all apps you truly don't need to have permission to use the camera. It has to do with older versions of apps not being compatible with newer updates on phone.

• Like 2

OP hopefully changing the settings for Apps will cure that, as suggested above. You would be surprised at which Permissions many Apps request (or require).   Some of them, it is very hard to figure out why they might need to use that particular function in the phone.

If that does not work, I would suggest backing up the phone and then doing a "Factory Reset".

I got a new Motorola phone, 2 weeks ago and I rarely take photos. In my previous phone, a Samsung, I had installed a Free, Open-Source App, "Open Camera", which can be either very powerful, or, if you need very simple, as I do, it is very easy to use. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera

I did have issues with my old Samsung phone where it couldn't start the Camera, but it was an almost 4 year old phone at that time.

I have a Moto g5 plus, too. I've never had issues with the camera, but I did have an issue with not being able to access my sim card or my network or something (I can't remember exactly what, but I couldn't make calls or text). I think it was about 4-6 months after I got it. I tried everything, and finally went online and filed a work order under the warranty. It was super easy. I paid around $20-30 for shipping to get the replacement phone shipped to me first without waiting for them to receive my old phone, but I didn't have to do that. So if all else fails, maybe you could try that.

I do like my Moto phone, though! I think Lanny was the one who turned me in that direction after my Samsung fiasco. (Thanks, Lanny!)

• Like 1