Menu

airplane food suggestions . .

gardenmom5

we're flying out at 6am . . . four hour flight.  anyone have favorite foods that aren't salty?   adults and a teenager.  we'll eat a meal when we get there, but since we're leaving home at 3;30 AM!!! we really don't want to pay airport food prices . . .

even if it's just something we eat after we get through security.  (I don't know why - but we showed up again on tsa precheck.  huurah!)

Bagels with cream cheese or peanut butter are my must have, and for fruit I prefer grapes because there isn’t anything to throw away, like an apple core or banana peel.  I do sometimes bring a sandwich with meat if I need more protein to hold me over. And always my empty zojirushi bottle to fill after going through TSA. 

I don’t bring boiled eggs because some people are offended by the smell. Same with tuna. 

• Like 2

We usually do sandwiches or bagels w/ cream cheese for early morning flights.    If we're getting up super early for a flight, I make a green smoothie for all of us to drink at home, then pack snacks like nuts and/or chickpeas. 

Edited by Starfish

Avoid any foods that need to be consumed within 1-2 hours of being removed from refrigeration, or foods that need to sit on an ice pack. Neither a bag of ice cubes or an ice block will make it through security.

Once you are through security, you can purchase a yogurt cup at a terminal shop, and add granola that you bring. Bagels already spread with cream cheese, or cheese and cracker packet, or a sandwich (depending on the filling) should be fine without refrigeration for several hours.

I usually do something like a couple of Kind bars or a baggie of unsalted pecans & almonds & raisins, a banana or apple slices, and some cut up veggie sticks (celery, carrots, pea pods, bell pepper strips, etc.). And an empty clear plastic water bottle that can be filled with water to take on the flight.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

thank you for everyone's suggestions.

2ds brought his own snacks, and said he'd buy food at the airport.   then he found out what time our plane takes off . . . . (considering I'm not sure vendors are open at those hours - and yes, I've been in airports  recently and vendors were closed.) he said he doesn't eat breakfast anyway.)

I planned on protein bars for dudeling, and me.   I have to have protein or I can have problems.

I realized how much I enjoyed the salami, hard cheese, and crackers.  so I'll do that.  I can cut everything up ahead of time, and put it together as I eat it.

dh likes bagels &crm cheese and grapes.

and then I must have chocolate.   (and I'll bring enough to share.  or my family would be mad at me.   - though with five of us on the same plane - we're sitting in three different places. 1ds is taking a later flight. he gets in at midnight . . . It will be me picking him up . . . )

trail mix is too salty for me.  (much as I love it, and it used to be a staple for flying.)

actually - everyone else can be fine with just a snack before lunch. . . . . me . . . . not so much.

28 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

trail mix is too salty for me.  (much as I love it, and it used to be a staple for flying.)

I dislike sweet/salty combinations so I just make my own trail mix with unsalted nuts.  Not that you want to run out and buy ingredients at this point but it's pretty easy to throw together whatever combination of dried fruit, seeds, nuts, or chocolate chips you like.  

• Like 2