Menu

We asked for better emojis...and we got them...or not?

Liz CA

Thank you, powers that be! Or so I thought because I could see larger and different emojis than before. (I am not drinking or doing other funny stuff!)

Anyone else see different ones than before?

Ask and you shall be given.  ? ?

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Acorn said:

?

I don't see any new ones either. The one above (if that's an emoticon) looks like a box with an X in it on my phone; on my laptop it's nonexistent.  The ones in the first post on my laptop are still black and white and ugly. They're in color on my phone, but that's always been true, and they're the same ones we've had since the switch. :mellow:

Edited by Matryoshka

I think all of the new ones are at the very bottom. I haven't done much emoji exploring since the board change though so I'm not sure what was there before vs what is new.

I don't see the old ((hug)) emoji, but there is a hug one now (though it doesn't feel as friendly/loving as the old one)

Edited by Petrichor
typo

20 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

I think all of the new ones are at the very bottom. I haven't done much emoji exploring since the board change though so I'm not sure what was there before vs what is new.

I don't see the old ((hug)) emoji, but there is a hug one now (though it doesn't feel as friendly/loving as the old one)

Okay, where is there a hug emoji?  Paste it, please?  

The black-and-white ones to me are virtually unusable.  They look decent on my phone, but like total crapola on my desktop.  If it's one of the black-and-white ones, I'll never be able to find it unless I'm on my phone (and I post less from my phone because it's a pain to type in posts generally from there...) 

Can other people see colored emojis from their laptop/desktops? (other than the ones under "Default" at the way bottom - those work everywhere for me, like the old ones did).

For example, this is how the OP looks from my desktop: 

image.png.4ba648fc6502edecae9799e370c5c0c1.png

How are those good emojis?? :sad:

Edited by Matryoshka

12 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

The black-and-white ones to me are virtually unusable.  They look decent on my phone, but like total crapola on my desktop.  If it's one of the black-and-white ones, I'll never be able to find it unless I'm on my phone (and I post less from my phone because it's a pain to type in posts generally from there...) 

Can other people see colored emojis from their laptop/desktops? (other than the ones under "Default" at the way bottom - those work everywhere for me, like the old ones did).

sorry, should have quoted you in the previous post. I don't see any black and white emojis... unless you mean yellow and black? like these ---> ???

9 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

sorry, should have quoted you in the previous post. I don't see any black and white emojis... unless you mean yellow and black? like these ---> ???

This is what those look like on my laptop: image.png.26a88923b26497af01b80765a07f5380.png

Here's a screenshot from your post with the 'hug' - it's not even there!

image.png.19104d6ab20358b9e9674aa554ab4627.png

I do see them all in yellow and black (including the otherwise invisible 'hug') on my phone, but that's always been true.  Those are the same ones we've had since the switch-over.   The only ones that work are under "Default" - like this one: :angry:  which is how I feel about having so few decent emojis.  (I miss toe-tapping one too!)

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

This is what those look like on my laptop: image.png.26a88923b26497af01b80765a07f5380.png

Here's a screenshot from your post with the 'hug' - it's not even there!

image.png.19104d6ab20358b9e9674aa554ab4627.png

I do see them all in yellow and black (including the otherwise invisible 'hug') on my phone, but that's always been true.  Those are the same ones we've had since the switch-over.   The only ones that work are under "Default" - like this one: :angry:  which is how I feel about having so few decent emojis.  (I miss toe-tapping one too!)

Oooh interesting. Do those types of emojis (the ones that are showing up black and white for you) work in other applications from your computer? Maybe in your email or on facebook?

13 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

Oooh interesting. Do those types of emojis (the ones that are showing up black and white for you) work in other applications from your computer? Maybe in your email or on facebook?

The emojis I have available on Facebook and Email don't look like those (though they seem to have similar categories) and look the same whether on laptop or phone.  The ones that show up in black-and-yellow on my phone look exactly (I mean, exactly) like the ones I have for my SMS text messages, but of course I only see text messages on my phone, so the point is moot.

All the emojis are available from inside an particular program - I can't paste the ones from WTM into my email or FB or vice versa.

Edited by Matryoshka

2 hours ago, TechWife said:

Hmmm, exploring now.

I don’t see them. Where are they. Which ones? Maybe I’m not seeing them because I’m not looking for the same emojis you would look for. 

Well...maybe it was a display issue??? The ones I used to see where super tiny. I hardly used any for fear it could be something else than what I thought. Now they are larger and there appears to be more variety. There seem to be new ones to, like the groups of people - we could possible make a group hug out of those. I had never seen those before.

You can also access some of our old ones. For me, I have to scroll to the bottom to see them.

?‍?‍?

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

For example, this is how the OP looks from my desktop: 

image.png.4ba648fc6502edecae9799e370c5c0c1.png

How are those good emojis?? :sad:

Well, I may have spoken too soon. This is way beyond my understanding of emoji software but it seems some people only see black and white - and in that case I agree it's not an improvement. I see mostly yellow on the face emojis, the groups of three people are still tinier than I would like but they have various colors of "clothing", then there are the usual fruits, food etc, some symbols but all have color on my display.

I see about 20 mostly yellow emojis, in addition to a baziliion black and white ones that render very tiny on my screen.  

The one I miss, I dream about, and I've wished to have outside this board 1000 times, is the green mohawk emoji that guffaws while pounding a fist on the table.  If only I had that one for everyday use!  

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

I use Chrome, and 90% of the emojis are black and white. I still see a blank box for a lot of them. Default are the only ones in color.

Try safari and see what happens?

Never mind, I just tried Chrome and it worked fine there for me. I'm on a MacBook. 

Edited by Ktgrok

1 hour ago, beckyjo said:

I use Chrome, and 90% of the emojis are black and white. I still see a blank box for a lot of them. Default are the only ones in color.

I use Chrome, too, and they are fine.  Would the version of Windows we use make a difference?

4 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Wow, how crazy! Those ones that look black and white to you look normal to me, and the ones you can't see, I can see. 

Wonder if it is a browser issue? I'm using Safari?

4 hours ago, beckyjo said:

I use Chrome and seem to be able to see everything in color. They also look slightly larger than previously.

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

,Hm. That's a good question.  I am still running Windows 7... :blush:

Oh perhaps this has something to do with it. I just switched to Windows 10 and noticed afterward that they looked bigger. Just didn't occur to me that it could be a Windows issue.

What a dunce I am...posting all in excitement about new emojis and it likely turns out it's a windows display factor.  ???

Edited by Liz CA

On 10/11/2018 at 12:22 AM, Petrichor said:

?

It doesn't really look all that much like a hug to me unless you already know that's what it's supposed to be, but when you type "hug" into the search bar it pops up.

This is the hug emoji?? I always thought it was someone doing jazz hands! Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1