Menu

Best late elementary online writing class?

FairProspects

My kids were in private school for the last two years. I don't know what they were teaching at the elementary level, but academically it was a waste. My older son is doing very well this year (the middle school was great) but I am struggling to get my younger son over a writing hump. I'm a secondary writing teacher, but his 11 y.o. emotional stage is driving me crazy and I need him to be working with or accountable to somebody else for at least a bit.

He is not ready for WWS. He needs to learn general late elementary paragraph writing skills. If I could just find a class or teacher to get him past some of these basic issues such as topic sentence or background information, what to include or leave out with graphic organizers, one idea per sentence, etc., then I can take back instruction and teach him going forward. Obviously, I am still going to have to be involved. I'm considering Home2Teach because they have 6 week classes. Are there any other classes I should look at that can teach basic paragraph writing skills? I'm not looking for extensive instruction or writing different types of paragraphs, just teaching how to string sentences together into a semi-cohesive paragraph instead of staring at a blank page and whining. Thanks!

We have not done any online classes at that age except for WWS, but Time 4 Writing might be an option. Or what about taking him through Treasured Conversations? Not an online class,  but I found it super easy to teach, it's well laid out and gets an upper elementary school student up to speed on paragraph writing painlessly. I have used it with my kids in 4th and 5th grades, but wouldn't hesitate to do it with a behind in writing 6th grader -- you can move through it quickly or not . . . (we sped through the first 6 weeks).

8 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

We have not done any online classes at that age except for WWS, but Time 4 Writing might be an option. Or what about taking him through Treasured Conversations? Not an online class,  but I found it super easy to teach, it's well laid out and gets an upper elementary school student up to speed on paragraph writing painlessly. I have used it with my kids in 4th and 5th grades, but wouldn't hesitate to do it with a behind in writing 6th grader -- you can move through it quickly or not . . . (we sped through the first 6 weeks).

This isn't a bad idea. I do have Treasured Conversations somewhere. I'll have to look at it again.

Actually, in case anyone is curious, we did not end up signing up for a class with Home2Teach. I consulted some of my teacher boards/groups and went with a paragraph of the week writing resource from TpT. I was looking specifically for writing only, not grammar, and I needed a resource that is very scaffolded and broken down piece by piece. We have just started it, but so far it has worked well for us because the expectations are so specific and bite size that ds does not feel overwhelmed.

• Like 1