Menu

Opinions on TT Algebra 2 (currently using VideoText)

DS is at the end of Module C for VideoText. He has been chugging along without asking for much help and seems to understand it, but lately is getting stumped on word problems. So I am thinking about trying out Teaching Textbooks since I'm thinking something just isn't getting explained well enough. I have always heard the opinion that TT is "too easy" but then found some reviews saying their kids who used it are studying math at college and doing great. 

What is your opinion on TT Algebra 2 for a student who will go on to higher math? Is it too easy (whatever that really means) or is it solid?

Or if you use VideoText any thoughts on pushing through the remaining modules?

Thanks

• Like 1

We have used part of Pre-Calc and use Geometry.  I do know that Alg 2 is missing about four chapters of topics that they don't cover until their pre-calc.  My cover school said I can do what I want, but she is very very hesitate to call it Algebra 2 until the kids have gone another 5 chapters into their Pre-Calc program.  

TT is definitely not as rigorous in some ways.  The problems seem to lack some of the depth of other programs. ON the other hand I know of several people who used exclusively TT and scored a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT which is no small feat.  

My biggest issue with using the online version, is that it has been a fight to get my daughter to SHOW HER WORK.  So, we definitely had that discussion last week and after talking to a TT rep, I decided she did not have to show her work for the Practice Problems (obviously if she needs to write it out that is a good thing) but that she has to show ALL her work, line by line for all of the Problem Sets, every day.  This week has been going along smoothly and she is following through.

My daughter absolutely loves TT.  She loves the independence, the clear but not boring explanations, the friendly colors, fonts and layout, and even the voice of the author. She loves the idea of the buddies, but the new ones are weird to her.  She loved the old ones though.  ?

How about hiring a tutor to meet with a few times per month to work on the harder VIdeotext word problems?

• Like 1

My gifted math student used Teaching Textbooks for Alg 2 (and prealg, Alg 1, geometry), and followed up with Derek Owens precalc the next year. She has always excelled in all her math courses, and is currently in the top 1/8 of her engineering class in her junior year of a challenging university program. Teaching Textbooks is fine.  Really. It won't be the perfect fit for all students, but if it is working for yours, feel comfortable using it.

• Like 6

Have you watched the videos in VT that explain the word problem analysis process with him to see if he's understanding the process correctly? I've found that the process that VT uses to teach word problems is actually better explained than most programs. With that said, there's no reason not to switch to TT if that's what works. I just would be hesitant to jump ship on an expensive program if re-watching and re-viewing the relevant lessons might fix the problem.