Menu

(Blank) put/shoved/placed/hid a (blank) in (blank).

unsinkable

My son shoved a perler bead up his nose at that age.  There was no blowing it out.  You couldn't see it in there at all but you could feel it on the outside and it was 3/4 of the way up to the bridge.  I went to urgent care first and the doctor was like "Are you sure there is something up there, I don't see anything".  Then I told him to feel the outside of his nose and he no longer doubted me.  We had to go to the ER because the urgent care doctor didn't have the tools.  Long story short, 7 doctors, 3 rounds of anesthesia/sedatives type medicine, a tiny camera and several different type of balloon syringe thingies and it finally came out.  DS said it was a black perler bead and that's exactly what it was. I was just surprised he was so sure of the color. I was far more traumatized than DS.

Different DS stuffed his mouth full of push pins (like over 20 of them).

• Like 1

2yoDD put my car keys inside a cloth book about cars and shoved it under the couch. (I got an extra put/shove in there, lol)

This was when I still had a job. I spent 2 hours looking over the house for them. Had to cancel work for the day (was a 4 hour shift, already missed 2...). Park of the problem was that since the keys were cushioned and hidden in the book, they didn't jingle or shine when I was originally checking underneath the couch. 

Upside was my house was extremely clean and now I make touching keys into a Big Teaching Point when kids are little. My now 1yoDD even knows that if keys are found they are brought immediately to mom, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

2yoDD put my car keys inside a cloth book about cars and shoved it under the couch. (I got an extra put/shove in there, lol)

This was when I still had a job. I spent 2 hours looking over the house for them. Had to cancel work for the day (was a 4 hour shift, already missed 2...). Park of the problem was that since the keys were cushioned and hidden in the book, they didn't jingle or shine when I was originally checking underneath the couch. 

Upside was my house was extremely clean and now I make touching keys into a Big Teaching Point when kids are little. My now 1yoDD even knows that if keys are found they are brought immediately to mom, lol. 

Bonus points for extra put/shove!

(Maybe your DD is awarded the bonus points? I have to check with the judges. LOL) 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

My son shoved a perler bead up his nose at that age.  There was no blowing it out.  You couldn't see it in there at all but you could feel it on the outside and it was 3/4 of the way up to the bridge.  I went to urgent care first and the doctor was like "Are you sure there is something up there, I don't see anything".  Then I told him to feel the outside of his nose and he no longer doubted me.  We had to go to the ER because the urgent care doctor didn't have the tools.  Long story short, 7 doctors, 3 rounds of anesthesia/sedatives type medicine, a tiny camera and several different type of balloon syringe thingies and it finally came out.  DS said it was a black perler bead and that's exactly what it was. I was just surprised he was so sure of the color. I was far more traumatized than DS.

I'm cringing more at the nose bead than the mouth full of push pins. And I don't know why...

Edited by unsinkable

16 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I hit the heart reaction, because there was no ?

• Like 1

Ds 6 at the time got his arm caught in between the automatic sliding doors at a local store. He was screaming in pain . Everyone sat around with their mouths open doing nothing. I wrenched that heavy door off the track and left it for them to put back on - mama bear adrenaline in action.   Fortunately he never did something like that again. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I broke a Qtip off in my ear canal when I was a kid. Doctor had to fish the cotton out with super-long tweezers. 

DD#1 filled the paper tray of the printer with library books. We didn't find them for months as the printer was a spare one. We always have spares as DH is a computer repairman.

DD#2 buried the TV remote in the bottom of the massive Mega Blocks/LEGO bin. Also not found for a long time.

DD#3 fed the Hungry, Hungry Hippos board game peanut butter and cheerios. Yeah, not fun to clean...

• Like 1

Dd, being you youngest, and, at that time, the only girl in the family, got everyone's hand-me-down little purses.  And that little stuffmeister loved to put stuff in them. 

One time, she put all the dice from various games in one of said little purses.  Including the dodecahedral die from the math manipulatives kit.  Nobody could play any board games until we found them, along with all the cherries from Hi Ho Cheerio.  She said that they were for her tea party (??  go figure.)   After that, I searched all 8 or 9 of those little purses and found lots of missing things.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Oldest DS, when he was 2.5 or so, put the key to the place where I worked into a kitchen cabinet. I was supposed to do Saturday duty, which is why I had the key. On Monday, I couldn't find the key to turn in. We looked *everywhere.* It was one of those "do not copy this key" type of keys, so big bucks to replace, so work just hobbled by with one less key until I found it, weeks later (it was a cabinet we didn't use much). 

I can't recall middle DS ever putting stuff in places, though he got into all kinds of other fun situations (he fell in the water, often; three or four times immediately spring to mind of him going face-first, around age 2, into bodies of water. Always when we were in arms reach and able to scoop him out immediately, but still....)

Youngest DS put all kinds of things in all kinds of places. A bean up his nose (luckily we were able to help him blow it out).

Toys shoved under the tiny gap under the wall on the balcony, where they'd fall to the ground 11 stories below, and the groundskeeper/gate guard guy would collect them and give them back to us. He did this so often that the guards began saving up the Legos and building cool stuff before they'd give it back. 

The most infamous one, though, was youngest DS, about age 2.5 or 3. We were in from Brazil for a visit to some dear, dear friends and pulled an all-nighter playing a strategy game (Twilight Imperium?). The older kids all sensibly went to sleep, but not little DS. He was still nursing (oh, so, he must have not been three yet), and so was back & forth between me, the living room, etc. He was BUSY on a level I've not witnessed before or sense in a kid his age. The big kids had set him up with toys before they went to bed....he found a way to, somehow, stuff Lego guys into our friend's speaker (I think the sub woofer? the really big, tall one...). Our friend even, in desperation, gave him the "No One Touches Ever" box of special gaming dice.....DS stuffed a vast majority of those also into the speaker. Friend still as recently as a year or so ago has emailed me to say "we found another "guy" in the speaker when we moved it..." -- DS is 13.5 now, so for the past *decade* they've still been randomly discovering lego "guys" and gaming dice, even though we all figured out relatively quickly where he'd stashed them all and they attempted to rescue them. Kid never did fall asleep, I don't think......(he still hates bedtime). 

• Haha 2

one of the kids, I don't really remember which one, put a piece of salmon in my work printer

DS10 used to put my mom's tennis shoes, when we were living with her, wayyyy under her bed where only he could crawl

he also put mustard on her cat, and shampoo in the cat's food bowl, and etc.

• Haha 2

When my middle dd was a toddler, she found dh's college ring sitting where he'd left it and helpfully brought it to him.  He told her to put it back, and off she toddled.  Only the ring didn't get put back.  And she wasn't able to tell us what she did with it.  (If you asked her, "Did you put it <here>?", no matter where <here> was, she'd nod yes and toddle over there to look.)  We tore the house apart looking for it, and eventually gave up on ever finding it.  But then months later, I was cleaning out the giant clean laundry pile from the crib in preparation for ds's birth, and toward the bottom I picked up something and heard a clunk.  I looked to see what made the noise, and lo and behold!  There was the ring! 

Our best guess is that dh must have thought better of sending off the ring with the toddler and stashed the ring in a pocket of the shorts he was wearing.  Somehow the pocket never got checked in the huge search, the ring went through the wash, and that pair of shorts remained at the bottom of the clean laundry pile all winter till I dug it out in late spring.

• Haha 1

At least 2 of my kids have put beads up their noses.  I was always able to fish them out.  I don't think youngest dd ever did, but she managed to put something in her ear that looked like folded up wad of paper.  That had to be removed by the ER.  I think I could have gotten it out but we weren't certain what it was and she was complaining of an earache, and dh is deaf in one ear so didn't want to take any chances. 

Youngest dd still likes to shove things in nooks and crannies.  Whenever I clean her room I find the most random stuff in the most random places.  

One of my kids threw his Finding Nemo Underpants into the toilet and flushed them -- because all drains lead to the ocean. (Remember we are 1000 miles inland LOL)

That one required a plumber.

Same child managed to pour chocolate syrup in a heating vent. LOTS of chocolate syrup.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Haha 6

Once, my firstborn hid a sippy cup of milk deep down under the couch cushion between where the arm section meets the seat base. She wanted to “save it for later,” unbeknowst to me. Well, it did manage to remain hidden for much later, even as I kept catching whiffs of spoiled milk but could never figure out where it was coming from. Not until I almost literally turned the room inside-out did I discover the cottage cheese milk hidden in there. ?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

At least 2 of my kids have put beads up their noses.  I was always able to fish them out.  I don't think youngest dd ever did, but she managed to put something in her ear that looked like folded up wad of paper.  That had to be removed by the ER.  I think I could have gotten it out but we weren't certain what it was and she was complaining of an earache, and dh is deaf in one ear so didn't want to take any chances. 

Youngest dd still likes to shove things in nooks and crannies.  Whenever I clean her room I find the most random stuff in the most random places.  

ALL HAIL THE BEAD FISHER!

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Once, my firstborn hid a sippy cup of milk deep down under the couch cushion between where the arm section meets the seat base. She wanted to “save it for later,” unbeknowst to me. Well, it did manage to remain hidden for much later, even as I kept catching whiffs of spoiled milk but could never figure out where it was coming from. Not until I almost literally turned the room inside-out did I discover the cottage cheese milk hidden in there. ?

AND THE RANCID MILKY CHEESE SNIFFER!!!

• Haha 4

Okay, it's been over 55 years, but this is still embarrassing. I shoved my bedroom doorknob into my mouth (well, shoved my mouth over the knob, which was still on the door).  I must have been about 5yo (whatever the height needed to walk up to a doorknob and wrap my mouth around it).  I couldn't get free, and the more upset I got, the tighter my jaw clenched around that knob!  I was also old enough to be way too embarrassed to call out (if anyone would even have heard me).  I finally realized that I needed to calm down and relax my jaw muscles.  I remember my thought process, reminding myself that I had gotten the knob in there, so it had to come out.  I stopped crying, took a deep breath through my nose, relaxed, and dropped my jaw enough to get my teeth back over that stupid knob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

Okay, it's been over 55 years, but this is still embarrassing. I shoved my bedroom doorknob into my mouth (well, shoved my mouth over the knob, which was still on the door).  I must have been about 5yo (whatever the height needed to walk up to a doorknob and wrap my mouth around it).  I couldn't get free, and the more upset I got, the tighter my jaw clenched around that knob!  I was also old enough to be way too embarrassed to call out (if anyone would even have heard me).  I finally realized that I needed to calm down and relax my jaw muscles.  I remember my thought process, reminding myself that I had gotten the knob in there, so it had to come out.  I stopped crying, took a deep breath through my nose, relaxed, and dropped my jaw enough to get my teeth back over that stupid knob.

That must have been SO scary!!!!

• Like 2

DH's grandmother flushed a sandwich down the toilet. Or at least tried to.

Grandma was in the beginning stages of dementia but was still living alone, so DH's aunt would go over at lunchtime and make sure she had something to eat. On this particular day, Aunt went back to work before Grandma was finished eating, and when Grandma decided to flush her lunch, the toilet overflowed.

Then she ran outside and yelled to the neighbor that she was drowning.

That was the end of her living alone.

This same Grandma liked to stuff tissues up her sleeve. Her granddaughter pulled 28 Kleenex out of there one day.

• Like 1

My son shoved dandelions (usually just one or two at a time) in his diaper when he'd play outside. My uncle got a piece of banana up his nose but no one knew until it started to rot and smell. My brother put EVERYTHING in the toilet--from apple cores to a lit flashlight. 

I put the baby down for a nap one day and woke up to a loud whispered conversation between my 4yo twins in the bathroom next door.

"I don't know!"

"It won't flush away!"

"Don't wake up mom!"

You can bet I was up like a shot! The end of the roll of toilet paper had gotten into the toilet and I guess the rest of the roll just followed it. Took me a while to deal with that.

• Haha 1

Ds1 placed a piece of bologna in the DVD slot in a desktop computer when he was a wee lad.  We found it when mold started growing out of the slot.  Same child fed quarters into the CD slot in the minivan and destroyed it.  Both were when he was less than 3 years old.  

Ds3 didn't want a meal when he was a preschooler, so he put his entire plate under the couch. We found it some while later when the ants gave it 5 michelin stars and made it a destination.  

How I managed to raise a family in which no child experimented with the fascinating powers of the potty is an example of undeserved grace.

One more, just for fun.  Ds1 and ds3 shared a room.  They may have been about 14 and 9.  It was a very large, irregularly shaped room with plenty of space, but eldest son still wanted to be undisturbed by his little brother. He knew that little brother had an aversion to raisins, so he put a line of raisins across the doorway into the room, spaced about six inches apart on the floor. I found out years later that ds3 wouldn't cross the line of raisins.  How I missed that at the time, I have no idea. Why no one tattled, I have no idea.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Storygirl said:

This same Grandma liked to stuff tissues up her sleeve. Her granddaughter pulled 28 Kleenex out of there one day.

Did she happen to attend Catholic school when she was a girl?  I've known a number of older Catholic ladies who learned from the nuns to keep their tissues in their sleeves - the nuns did it because they didn't have pockets in their habits.  

Edited by klmama

3 hours ago, Storygirl said:

DH's grandmother flushed a sandwich down the toilet. Or at least tried to.

Grandma was in the beginning stages of dementia but was still living alone, so DH's aunt would go over at lunchtime and make sure she had something to eat. On this particular day, Aunt went back to work before Grandma was finished eating, and when Grandma decided to flush her lunch, the toilet overflowed.

Then she ran outside and yelled to the neighbor that she was drowning.

That was the end of her living alone.

58 minutes ago, klmama said:

Did she happen to attend Catholic school when she was a girl?  I've known a number of older Catholic ladies who learned from the nuns to keep their tissues in their sleeves - the nuns did it because they didn't have pockets in their habits.  

I call it the useless pocket syndrome.  My mom and my grandma used to stuff tissues up their sleeves.  My sisters and I used to secretly make fun of mom for doing that.  Until I had a bad cold and pants that had useless pockets and I needed a place to put my kleenex.  Lo and behold, the sleeve turned out to be a very useful thing.  

• Like 3

Just now my 6 year old woke me up requesting tweezers. He shoved toilet paper up his nose for a bloody nose and it got stuck. 

My younger brother got a kitten’s head stuck in a toy barn that had shapes cut in the roof. My mom was super patient oiling that poor cat trying to pull it out again. 

My husband happened to be near the first aid station at an event when a teenager came for help removing blinking magnets he had put up each nostril. They clamped together! I never heard how those were removed. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

Just now my 6 year old woke me up requesting tweezers. He shoved toilet paper up his nose for a bloody nose and it got stuck. 

My younger brother got a kitten’s head stuck in a toy barn that had shapes cut in the roof. My mom was super patient oiling that poor cat trying to pull it out again. 

My husband happened to be near the first aid station at an event when a teenager came for help removing blinking magnets he had put up each nostril. They clamped together! I never heard how those were removed. 

That poor kitten!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, klmama said:

Nope! But my mom taught me to tuck tissues in my sleeve when I was little and didn't have pockets, and we were not Catholic either. I wonder if it was a generational thing, because so few clothes for women included pockets back then (which is still the case today, unfortunately).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rachel said:

Oiling a cat!!!! Oh dear! ?

• Haha 2

I stuck a pebble up my nose at Kindercare when I was two or three. Had to go to the doctor to get it out. My mom told me once that she was called to testify about me putting the pebble up my nose because apparently a family was suing the childcare center  because their son put a pebble in his ear and was now deaf in that ear. 

• Sad 2

We never had beads up noses, but ds was about 10 when he went swimming in a friend's pool. Somehow a spider crawled in his ear down near his ear drum where he could hear it walking around. Thankfully the friend's dad was a doctor, looked in his ear, saw the spider, and shined a flashlight into the ear so the spider would see his way out. It's a funny story to tell, but I wouldn't want a spider walking around in my ear!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3

I gave DD vitamins everyday, that apparently she did not like taking.  When we moved and it was time to move her bed which was up against a wall, we discovered maybe hundreds of vitamins that she had dropped in the crevice between her bed and the wall. ?  Vitamins are expensive darn it!!  She swore that happened "when she was littler"  but I dunno...

• Haha 2

When I was about 4 or 5 we were walking as a family down the street to get ice cream. We had the family dog, a golden retriever, with us.

Try to picture this: I was walking and stiffly swinging my arms like I was in a parade. The dog was walking right in front of me. All of a sudden I got a little to enthusiastic with my arm swinging and my thumb went right into the dogs butt and then popped out again. And I do mean into his butt .... like the actual hole. The poor dog did a kinda hop-skip jump and then went right on with his walk.

I was horrified because my thumb had been up the dogs butt, but I didn't want to tell my mother for fear she would yell at me and not let me get ice cream. So I kept it quiet and ate my cone without my thumb touching anything (yes, my thumb smelled bad!)

That is a story that still makes my family cry with laughter no matter how many times I tell it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

When dd19 was 2.5 she put a paper to-go carton,  quart size,  of clam chowder from a restaurant,  in a lunch box in the pantry.....That was fun to find. YUCK! Worst part was that we knew it was somewhere in the house, but had no idea where she put it.  We knew it was rotting somewhere and just waiting for someone to stumble across it. 

Years ago, two grocery store coworkers got in a practical joke war.  One person put a fresh shrimp in the heater vent of the other coworkers office.  Due to it being a grocery store, odd smells often waft around, so it took a while for the victim to realize the horrid smell was coming from inside her office.  They declared a truce and a victor  ?was announced. LOL 

5 hours ago, wilrunner said:

We never had beads up noses, but ds was about 10 when he went swimming in a friend's pool. Somehow a spider crawled in his ear down near his ear drum where he could hear it walking around. Thankfully the friend's dad was a doctor, looked in his ear, saw the spider, and shined a flashlight into the ear so the spider would see his way out. It's a funny story to tell, but I wouldn't want a spider walking around in my ear!

I am going to have nightmares for a week because of this!!!! :ohmy:

17 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

How I managed to raise a family in which no child experimented with the fascinating powers of the potty is an example of undeserved grace.  

Amen, amen, amen!

5 hours ago, Home'scool said:

When I was about 4 or 5 we were walking as a family down the street to get ice cream. We had the family dog, a golden retriever, with us.

Try to picture this: I was walking and stiffly swinging my arms like I was in a parade. The dog was walking right in front of me. All of a sudden I got a little to enthusiastic with my arm swinging and my thumb went right into the dogs butt and then popped out again. And I do mean into his butt .... like the actual hole. The poor dog did a kinda hop-skip jump and then went right on with his walk.

I was horrified because my thumb had been up the dogs butt, but I didn't want to tell my mother for fear she would yell at me and not let me get ice cream. So I kept it quiet and ate my cone without my thumb touching anything (yes, my thumb smelled bad!)

That is a story that still makes my family cry with laughter no matter how many times I tell it.

I almost peed my pants laughing while reading this! My kids had to run downstairs and see what was wrong with me and then they all got a kick out of it too :laugh:

• Like 1

In addition to a peas up the nose situation around 18 months old (thankfully the blow it out method worked), DS decided to feed the CD player in my car dimes. Lots of dimes. I had to take it to the repair shop and they all got a good laugh out of it. They were able to get the dimes out and the CD player continued to work, so that's good!

2 hours ago, Donna said:

When oldest ds was about 18 months old, he shoved all his Cheerios into the opening for the DVD player.

My youngest shoved a hot wheel car into the vcr and ruined it. Fortunately it was a vcr/dvd combo and vhs was on the way out anyway so we weren’t too inconvenienced. 

• Like 1

My cousin shoved a valentine candy heart up her nose. I remember my grandma trying to get her to snort black pepper. The idea was that she would sneeze it out. I had to get on the school bus and can't remember how that ended.

One of my kids put a school library book in a suitcase right before it went into attic storage. We found it a few months later when we needed the suitcase for an overnight trip. Luckily right before the bill for it was due.

I once found more than twenty pens and markers shoved down a vent.

Don't even get me started on my kids and potties...

It's always a bead in the nose, right?

My brother shoved a RED bead up his nose when he was a toddler. The daycare people became convinced that he had some sort of scary blood clot and made my mother come get him. She took one look and was like, um, is that a bead?