Menu

How are you doing on your bucket list?

mommyoffive

On 10/10/2018 at 2:40 PM, Lori D. said:

I'm more of a "carpe diem" person than a "bucket list" person. Probably because the further in life I've gone, the more I find that expectations (like, bucket list life goals) are more often than not "disappointed expectations" -- ie., don't happen, can't be "forced" to happen, or are unexpectedly not so great after all if they do happen. In contrast, I'm finding that making the most of the opportunities that present themselves each new day, being grateful for unexpected blessings, focusing on pouring out on others, and saying "yes" to all kinds of things that pop up in life unexpectedly has made for a lot of joy -- or at least a bit of a fun roller coaster ride out of daily life. (:P

I want to like this ten times over.

Due to my illnesses, I do not really have a bucket list.  THere were things I had planned on but cannot do now and I try to not focus on that so not to get depressed.  I get happy by the dumbest stuff now-  actually being able to do something normal- like set up a bank account or help dd with taxes.  There are lots of places and things I would like to do and go to.  But I am usually happy noticing things like my lorepetalum blooming now (usually blooms in early Spring) or a dogwood blooming now (like I also saw yesterday). 

I do want to finish visiting all the states - I have not visited Alaska, Hawaii, and North Dakota.  I also want to visit a number of cities in the US I haven't visited or want to see more of it.  I want to see more gardens.  I want to see more Art but fortunately, my local art museum, of which we are members, has changing art as do other art museums we go to at times.  My dh is always trying to visit all National Parks, monuments, etc  and we actually have the map mostly filled up due to going to lots of them while we moved with military or were stationed near them then.  I have birds I want to see in the wild.  The one place outside of the US I really do want to go to is Norwegian fjords.   It was my mom's dream and something I would like to see.   But I am super happy with lots of stuff-----and one thing I am always trying to do is encourage people with disabilities and illnesses to keep experiencing life in whatever way you can.

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 3

On 10/19/2018 at 11:13 AM, KungFuPanda said:

I’m not a bucket list person, but I am a bit like a border collie. If I don’t have something to work on I get dissatisfied. I need to have something to learn and work on that consumes my brain and body. It can be big or little.

I'm the same. I'm simply driven to try new things and set goals. it's in my DNA and has never stopped and will probably never stop for my entire life. 

Personally, I dislike the expression "bucket list" and never watched the entire movie. I think a "bucket list" of HUGE, larger than life things is personally dissatisfying to me. I'd rather try a variety of neat and interesting things around me all the time. I don't need to travel far away or spend a ton of money. I don't have to be limited by someone else's definition of "bucket list," either.  

I've done a whole bunch of things that some people would include on a "bucket list," but the things that are the most satisfying over a longer period of time are those I can fit in any time and any day close to home. And I can look for new and exciting things in the same woods I've walked a million times. Today it was a search for lichens. It was the most fun hike I've had in years!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm the same. I'm simply driven to try new things and set goals. it's in my DNA and has never stopped and will probably never stop for my entire life. 

Personally, I dislike the expression "bucket list" and never watched the entire movie. I think a "bucket list" of HUGE, larger than life things is personally dissatisfying to me. I'd rather try a variety of neat and interesting things around me all the time. I don't need to travel far away or spend a ton of money. I don't have to be limited by someone else's definition of "bucket list," either.  

I've done a whole bunch of things that some people would include on a "bucket list," but the things that are the most satisfying over a longer period of time are those I can fit in any time and any day close to home. And I can look for new and exciting things in the same woods I've walked a million times. Today it was a search for lichens. It was the most fun hike I've had in years!

Have you tried Letterboxing? That kept me interested for about a year. 

I have lists of "Things I'll Never Get To Do" and "Unfulfilled Desires".

Like a few others have said, it takes time and money. I envy those people who have sufficient quantities of both and are able to do things they desire. I don't begrudge them those opportunities. Personally, I look back at the things the younger me wanted to do and experience and it depresses me. None of those things have come to fruition. Other life choices and circumstances have superseded or negated 85% of those dreams. The other 15% is due to an increasing lack of self-esteem and self-efficacy; traits I thought would come with age and experience. It's actually a vicious cycle, without self-esteem and self-efficacy there are few experiences from which growth can occur. Now, I try to help others achieve experiences on their lists and I find I must be content with living vicariously. Along the way, my list has changed and become less sophisticated, less adventuresome, and...well...just less.

My dream of thru-hiking the AT (which I almost did three years ago) has now morphed into researching about hiking a regional 150 mile trail.

Climbing Kilimanjaro has now become climbing the Manitou Incline.

Traveling to New Dehli has become reading about India.

And now I'm sad so it's off to brew some chai...

• Sad 2