Menu

Funky pencil grip and older kids

I recently realized that my 10 year old (11 next month), has a funky pencil grip. I know he hasn't been doing it forever, because I taught him the correct way and monitored it for several years. My best guess is that he started doing it in the past year. Instead of sliding his middle finger under the pencil and letting the pencil rest on the side of his finger, he puts the tip of his middle finger on the pencil. I've had kiddos with a weird grip before and had to get them to change it, but they were younger. He's not the neatest writer, but it's not bad for a 10 year old boy. He does get tired writing and doesn't have good writing stamina. I let him pick out some new pencil grips. Of course he's balking at the new grip and having to try something new, crying etc... How hard to I push him to hold a pencil correctly? 

Edited by mamakelly

At that age, I wouldn't try to change it. It's an exercise in frustration for everyone. Around that age, we had DS14 evaluated by the schools, and the OT said that handwriting and pencil grip are mostly set by then.

If you google "pencil grasp," you can read articles and see pictures of acceptable alternative grasps. It sounds to me as if what he is doing is not wrong, just an alternate way.

9 hours ago, mamakelly said:

I recently realized that my 10 year old (11 next month), has a funky pencil grip. I know he hasn't been doing it forever, because I taught him the correct way and monitored it for several years. My best guess is that he started doing it in the past year. Instead of sliding his middle finger under the pencil and letting the pencil rest on the side of his finger, he puts the tip of his middle finger on the pencil. I've had kiddos with a weird grip before and had to get them to change it, but they were younger. He's not the neatest writer, but it's not bad for a 10 year old boy. He does get tired writing and doesn't have good writing stamina. I let him pick out some new pencil grips. Of course he's balking at the new grip and having to try something new, crying etc... How hard to I push him to hold a pencil correctly? 

If his hand is getting tired when he writes, and his penmanship is not good (even boys can have good penmanship), then yes, work on the pencil grip. And also consider giving him a fountain pen.  He won't have to press hard when he writes, which is often what goes along with incorrect grip. And have him write as much as possible, because that builds stamina.

Your son's grip sounds like my husband's grip. I think it looks horribly awkward and uncomfortable, but he has much better handwriting than I do and doesn't get especially tired writing, even during long handwritten exams. Has it caused your son's handwriting to get worse? Is his hand hurting, or is it taking longer for him to write?

Thanks for the input. He says his hand doesn’t hurt. I think his writing is ok, it’s not great, but it’s not terrible either. I sent a picture of him writing to several elementary teacher friends. One commented that he looks double jointed which is why his grip doesn’t hurt him. Another though his handwring looked good for a 5th grade boy. Sooo I’m just going to let it go. It was way more emotional drama to try and get him to change it.