Menu

Anyone's child an RA?

DawnM

My son is home for Fall break.  He is telling me that he would like to apply to be an RA for next year.  Applications are due Oct. 15th.  That seems really early but they say they take 4 months to interview and decide.  They will let them know in the Spring.

Anyway, any tips for the application process or the interview?

I have no idea how competitive it is.  

My dd20 is an RA starting this fall.  Not sure of the details of the process - she did everything herself.  I seem to recall her applying in the fall sometime (don't think it was as early as Oct though) - I'm guessing that's when she also got recommendations? - and then in the spring she had to take some kind of an RA course, so she must've known she was in before spring semester started.  I also am not sure how competitive it was.  She was on her previous dorm's house council or something, had good grades, and I know she got a recommendation from her RA then; I'm not sure from who else she got them.  

I am not sure his current RA knows him well enough right now.  Yes, he needs all 3 recommendations now, and a resume.  He is asking me to show him some sample resumes and help him a little with that (look it over, give suggestions, etc....)

I have no idea what the interview entails.  I am assuming talking about his character, what he would do scenarios, questions about his leadership abilities, etc.....