Menu

College App Blues...when will it be over???

SA Homeschooler

Well, probably I am at fault, for DD being behind the Timeline for this.   In retrospect, she should have had the Letters of Recommendation quite awhile back. And she should have been working on the Common App much sooner.  I think students in Brick and Mortar schools probably have a much better "feel" for what needs to be done, and when, than Home Schoolers or Distance Learners do,  because all of their classmates are doing the same tasks, Lots of stress, but everything will get done.  Hang in there and don't give up the ship! 

• Like 4

Last year I thought we were done early. Ds knew where he wanted to go. Applied there along with three other safety options and was accepted to all four with automatic merit aid in September I think. Put down a housing deposit on Oct 1. Easy peasy!!!

Mid December he changed his mind and applied to two more schools. One was 700 miles away where he applied to a special program and had to fly for a scholarship weekend in March. Squeezed in a visit over his spring break to the other school- a mere 500 miles away. He ended up at the close one. Lol. 

Lesson learned. It’s not over until it is over. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Ugh - so tedious.  Really schools, do you really think kids want to wax poetic about the finer points of each school through multiple essays!?  Yes, seems like a good fit along with a bunch of other schools.  Show me the money and I'll happily deliver an eager student.    I don't mind the single essay on "Why School X".  It's when there are 2 or 3.  Not to mention my kid is applying to music programs.  So you apply on the common app.  Get a music portal.  And then there's all sorts of hoops and writing to do on those too?! Plus prescreens and auditions.  So ridiculous and tedious.  There are not enough bottles of wine I tell you.  LOL.  I was hoping kid would apply to 10-12 schools.  He's at 6 right now.  That's looking like a good number.  ???  We will see!  I do suspect there's a couple more he'd like to get out but I made him do the safest schools first.  One of his safety schools has the worst and most ridiculous hoop jumping application processes.    I'm a full time secretary right now.  

Don't even get me started on the homeschool end of things.  LOL.

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

When will it all be over? Maybe May 2nd.

But then a whole new adventure awaits . . .

[I tell myself that I only have to update/tweak my school profile for the next four kids. Course descriptions are almost all completely different between child #1 & #2, but I try to do some every year so I don't have to crank them all out at the end. That counselor letter was the hardest part.]

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Honestly? It’s like a pregnancy.  Common App opens August 1st.  National Decision Day is May 1.  That’s nine months.  You know how excited you are when you find out you are expecting?  And everyone is so excited for you?  And you talk and talk and talk about how exciting it is?  And it’s so fun at first thinking about names and nursery stuff and cute baby clothes??  Then, you get big and retain water and have to tinkle all the d#mn time and you get so. sick. of. talking. about. it.  No one cares anymore except you and your gyno/doc/midwife.  And people constantly keep asking you, “You haven’t had that baby yet???” (“S/he doesnt’ know where s/he’s going to college yet?”). Yeah - it’s like that. 

And, I didn’t have anywhere NEAR the level of WORK that y’all are having to do since ds was in B&M high school.  So, I admire ALL of you greatly.  Hang in there!!  Hugs to all of you! Indulge in wine, coffee, chocolate, retail therapy. Whatever it takes!  

This, too, shall pass.

• Like 8
  • Haha 11

Right? so over it. The one application he's already finished required two essays.....for one of them they used a standard, vague coalition app prompt, so that he could use the essay he'd been working on. Except their word count limit was half what the common app's limit is. So he had to either drastically edit his existing essay or start from scratch with a new one based on essentially the same prompt, just for this one school. It's as if they're just trying to find ways to make things more difficult. 

• Like 2

DS17 was finally able to record the second two of his four pieces this afternoon, thank goodness. Now I get to piece together video and audio so he and his teacher can decide which takes are acceptable (DS is very non-techy so I'm helping with this). One essay is in good shape thanks to a colleague of mine who gave it a review and pointed out inconsistencies and bits that didn't make sense, which DS has now fixed. Common App essay still needs work and don't get me started on the other essays. Favorite snack? Really? Does anyone care? I don't even know what DS's favorite snack is. 

Music deadlines are all different and don't match up well with regular deadlines. And DS hasn't settled on his early school yet either, so is working toward having three apps ready by the early deadline so he can pick at the last minute.

DS12 has been hearing so much about college lately that he is discussing with me where he will apply early, and what's the difference between ED and EA ....

So I agree with the general sense of argh. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, saw said:

DS12 has been hearing so much about college lately that he is discussing with me where he will apply early, and what's the difference between ED and EA ....

DS13 asked me this week whether or not he should participate in a karate demo in a few weeks so that he could add it to his transcript! ?

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, saw said:

DS17 was finally able to record the second two of his four pieces this afternoon, thank goodness. Now I get to piece together video and audio so he and his teacher can decide which takes are acceptable (DS is very non-techy so I'm helping with this). One essay is in good shape thanks to a colleague of mine who gave it a review and pointed out inconsistencies and bits that didn't make sense, which DS has now fixed. Common App essay still needs work and don't get me started on the other essays. Favorite snack? Really? Does anyone care? I don't even know what DS's favorite snack is. 

Music deadlines are all different and don't match up well with regular deadlines. And DS hasn't settled on his early school yet either, so is working toward having three apps ready by the early deadline so he can pick at the last minute.

Oh nice, we're doing music too.  We are recording pre-screens in a couple weeks.  My son is auditioning for voice programs (but has other musical interests/skills too).  

The music deadline/portal business is definitely crazy making!  We started an acceptd account for him today and I wish they all used that portal.  Almost like a common app!  

• Like 2

My DD is moving at a glacial pace. She is comfortable writing by herself but editing has been tough. She did have a breakthrough last night. She finally had a good enough feel of the editing process to make a big stab at editing two essays by herself. How many years has she been writing essays????

B&M doesn't guarantee smooth sailing. DD's dual enrollment program actually complicated the reference and counselor portion of the Common App. The Common App pulled in the public school counselor but her counselor is with the dual enrollment program. In addition, the school district uses Naviance to facilitate the college app process. Unfortunately, it only pulls from the list of public school teachers and not the CC teachers which, of course, every student in the dual enrollment program is going to use.

From what I have observed is that the college application process really depends on the school in question. Some schools really assist their students and some are incredibly hands off and some have no idea what they are doing (that is my DD's dual enrollment program due to a change in leadership). Granted I am not writing the counselor's letter, school profile, transcript, or course descriptions but we have also handed over control and timing of those items also.

Based on the way the dual enrollment program is going, I may be taking the reins in two years as DS may dual enroll as a homeschooler next year. Then I will really need your help.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2018 at 7:38 AM, saw said:

Little essays:  one admissions rep called these popcorn essays. They aren't intended to be prize winning pieces of rhetoric,  but rather a vehicle to get something of the kid in his or her own voice with less overthinking. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2018 at 4:57 PM, SA Homeschooler said:

Oh goodness,  I have to say that I am just so over this whole college app thingy.  Could this be any more tedious?  Sorry...just a bit of whining.  This has prob been the most overwhelming part of homeschooling!! School profile, counselor's letter...etc.  I'm so tired of generating content. Anybody else?

My D is finished with her apps.  The teacher recommendations have also been submitted.  I thought I was done, but one of D's non-common app schools wants two essays from the guidance counselor - each essay has a 5000 character limit.  I am telling myself that it shouldn't take me too long as I am just going to modify some of the stuff I have already written.  It is just a matter of getting the motivation to sit down and crank them out.  This is D's top choice, which is just adding to my stress level and my procrastination problem.    Ugh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I thought I'd done well by helping ds get his apps done in August, but now there are scholarship apps, honors college apps, housing info, tours, etc.  I am tired of keeping an eye on things to make sure all the boxes are checked and no important opportunities/deadlines are missed.  I still need to complete the FAFSA.

It was all very exciting in the beginning, but yes, I am over it!  (And 8 schools is starting to feel like way too many.  Hats off to those of you who are doing more!)

• Like 3

I'm finding it difficult to click submit. (Actually, I haven't even brought myself to click the scary review and submit button yet.) I wish it weren't so final. If she adds schools with a different vibe, will I wish I had taken a different approach? Would it matter either way? 

We've passed our self-imposed deadlines for submitting.  Now the actual early action deadlines are looming...  *Keep Calm and Click Submit*

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Little essays:  one admissions rep called these popcorn essays. They aren't intended to be prize winning pieces of rhetoric,  but rather a vehicle to get something of the kid in his or her own voice with less overthinking. 

Really...DD has one school with 3 - 25 word statements plus 2 100 - 250 essays. To be so succinct requires a lot of thought on DD's part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Yep. Except I did the review (of the review-and-submit button) about 5 times with several changes in between each. :ph34r:

Me too! And each time, I unchecked the "certifications" or whatever they were in the profile, so that the review and submit option would disappear. I was so afraid it would submit somehow while I was making corrections.... 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Woodland Mist Academy said:

I unchecked the "certifications" or whatever they were in the profile, so that the review and submit option would disappear. I was so afraid it would submit

Glad to know I'm not alone!  I refuse to check those little boxes...knowing that I could accidentally submit makes me crazy!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, SA Homeschooler said:

Glad to know I'm not alone!  I refuse to check those little boxes...knowing that I could accidentally submit makes me crazy!!

Me too! I'm a little less nutso now that I realize I actually have to type my name before the document crosses the Rubicon. It would take more than a random accidental click, which was my big fear. Still, I've unchecked them for now. I want to review everything again tomorrow morning before the final submit on the second part. (300 times through just isn't enough, apparently.)

Could you imagine a horror movie about a computer virus that randomly submits the Common App while someone is working on it. *shudders*  I'd not sleep for days... 

• Like 2

I haven't recovered fully from last year's application cycle and accompanying drama for my older daughter. I've been dragging my feet a little on the process for my younger daughter. She has just started planning school visits and looking at application deadlines. Looks like she has narrowed her search down to the Netherlands like her sister so that simplifies things a lot. They have one place online  where you can apply to four schools and that's it. Most are rolling admissions so you can potentially hear in two weeks after hitting submit. Then you have to play the game of wondering which one will come through first and should you accept it or wait a bit. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Woodland Mist Academy said:

Well, I didn't exactly *keep calm* (at all...:blush:), but I did review and submit and then for realsies submit the counselor recommendation. 

(I may or may not have made a dozen changes in-between the two clicks.)

LOL I did this also! After proofreading by several people over and over I still found a few places that needed revision at the last moment. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kirag714 said:

LOL I did this also! After proofreading by several people over and over I still found a few places that needed revision at the last moment. 

Yes! Isn't that crazy?!

Besides finding awkward wording we had previously overlooked, I am almost certain some things I had corrected multiple times somehow uncorrected themselves yet again...stubborn brutes.  The same apparent reverting happened with my daughter. Thankfully we caught it. That happening was enough for us to decide to do yet another round of proofreading. I'm not sure if we didn't hit save, but thought we had or if it's a glitch or we're just getting to the point that we're not seeing things clearly or what....

My dh was ?...just submit it! Then when I made him look through it first, there he was finding things to change. ?

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Arch at Home said:

Really...DD has one school with 3 - 25 word statements plus 2 100 - 250 essays. To be so succinct requires a lot of thought on DD's part.

I thought this had some good advice on the essays.  Top two  pullouts:  Aim for Good (not perfect or publishable), and Be Authentic.

http://uvaapplication.blogspot.com/2018/07/2018-2019-uva-application-essay-advice.html

• Like 2

I just found three -- count 'em THREE --- errors on the transcript! One was an area that looked unfinished without a line, another was a line that kept bolding only when made into a PDF with the program I was using (I switched programs, and it is now fine) and the third was a typo that was missed by multiple people, multiple times. *bangs head* (I miss that emoji.) 

I have already sent the transcript to one school, but thankfully hadn't submitted that portion of the common app yet. I found the errors when I was getting ready to submit it. I am *so done* reading over all this. Taking a break, then going over it once more. Honestly... bolded, not bolded, not even there....I'm sure lines on the transcript aren't going to make or break the application. Still, all these years of work... It feels like the transcript represents that. Such rubbish! What nonsense! Those years were so much more than what's on the transcript.  Why is this process so filled with emotion? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Woodland Mist Academy said:

I just found three -- count 'em THREE --- errors on the transcript! One was an area that looked unfinished without a line, another was a line that kept bolding only when made into a PDF with the program I was using (I switched programs, and it is now fine) and the third was a typo that was missed by multiple people, multiple times. *bangs head* (I miss that emoji.) 

I have already sent the transcript to one school, but thankfully hadn't submitted that portion of the common app yet. I found the errors when I was getting ready to submit it. I am *so done* reading over all this. Taking a break, then going over it once more. Honestly... bolded, not bolded, not even there....I'm sure lines on the transcript aren't going to make or break the application. Still, all these years of work... It feels like the transcript represents that. Such rubbish! What nonsense! Those years were so much more than what's on the transcript.  Why is this process so filled with emotion? 

I just had to tell myself it is what it is and hit submit and then let it go. Seriously, you will drive yourself batty. 

It is filled with emotion bc it is your homeschool and so much of it is tied to the choices you have made.  You see your child's future hinging on those choices.  Just know that it isn't as daunting once you start receiving acceptances. You will know it isn't as hard as many people make it out to be. ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Woodland Mist Academy said:

Honestly... bolded, not bolded, not even there....I'm sure lines on the transcript aren't going to make or break the application. Still, all these years of work... It feels like the transcript represents that. Such rubbish! What nonsense! Those years were so much more than what's on the transcript.  Why is this process so filled with emotion? 

Yes, I found something similar right before I submitted--not as many--but at least one. I finally decided just to hit submit & then not to look at the transcript again until it is time to update it with mid-term grades. Luckily, other things in life have been a bit crazy so I haven't looked back. I think we, as homeschool parents, put a lot of self-worth into how our children do later in life. Standardized test scores, getting into college, scholarships, getting a good job . . . I realize this isn't about my life at this point--it is theirs. But, I do still have (probably too much) of a stake in how eldest does in this whole college application process. I figure I'll let go just in time for #2 to get started... :blush: 

I was telling a group of homeschool moms last night that I'm a lot more relaxed about what-my-kid-knows-at-a-certain-age than I used to be. I think I'll eventually be more relaxed about the whole college application process once it is all done (with each kid). I know the next step will be the "how does my child know which school to pick?" question...

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Yes, I found something similar right before I submitted--not as many--but at least one.

I'm a typo making overachiever...  ?

I found two more tiny typos in the zillion page course description document, corrected those, then hit submit. 

It is finished!

Funny... already I'm thinking, that really wasn't that bad... ?:laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

It is filled with emotion bc it is your homeschool and so much of it is tied to the choices you have made.  You see your child's future hinging on those choices.  Just know that it isn't as daunting once you start receiving acceptances. You will know it isn't as hard as many people make it out to be. ?

Yes! This is my third time through the college application process, but my first time with a homeschooler. I remember being stressed with the first two, but I didn't feel as responsible for the outcome.

Time for me to join this conversation! As of yesterday, all of the letters of recommendation have been uploaded, and I am breathing again. Waiting on people over whom I have no influence is not easy for me ? Now that we only have to rely on ourselves, I think that DS and I are in a good place. His first hard deadline is November 1. 

He has an interview tomorrow for a school that he has not visited (regional rep will be in our area), and a visit scheduled next week. He needs to set up one more interview, and that should wrap up that part.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 2

On 10/7/2018 at 8:04 PM, FuzzyCatz said:

Oh nice, we're doing music too.  We are recording pre-screens in a couple weeks.  My son is auditioning for voice programs (but has other musical interests/skills too).  

The music deadline/portal business is definitely crazy making!  We started an acceptd account for him today and I wish they all used that portal.  Almost like a common app!  

Right there with you FuzzyCatz and Saw. My son wants a BFA in tech theatre. This whole apply to each school twice - once for academic admission and then again for the fine arts program - plus putting together a portfolio, the acceptd account, the interviews - it's making me crazy.  Bring on the chocolate! 

• Like 3

On 10/6/2018 at 4:57 PM, SA Homeschooler said:

Oh goodness,  I have to say that I am just so over this whole college app thingy.  Could this be any more tedious?  Sorry...just a bit of whining.  This has prob been the most overwhelming part of homeschooling!! School profile, counselor's letter...etc.  I'm so tired of generating content. Anybody else?

I am so over the Common App too, and I just started working on it. Had I known ds wanted to apply to a school that only took the Common App, I would have started back in August. Now I am really under the gun to get the whole RIDICULOUS  thing done. The school profile section is such a joke for homeschoolers. Who do they make us do that? But it was the distilling all the info for his 17 outside classes down to only 1000 words that just about pushed me over the edge. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mom2boys said:

I am so over the Common App too, and I just started working on it. Had I known ds wanted to apply to a school that only took the Common App, I would have started back in August. Now I am really under the gun to get the whole RIDICULOUS  thing done. The school profile section is such a joke for homeschoolers. Who do they make us do that? But it was the distilling all the info for his 17 outside classes down to only 1000 words that just about pushed me over the edge. 

do you mean in the homeschool supplement? I'm planning to just use that for some basic information about the places he's done outside classes; the actual course descriptions for those classes I'm putting in the long course descriptions document that I'm uploading as one of the 4 documents allowed under "transcripts."

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, kokotg said:

do you mean in the homeschool supplement? I'm planning to just use that for some basic information about the places he's done outside classes; the actual course descriptions for those classes I'm putting in the long course descriptions document that I'm uploading as one of the 4 documents allowed under "transcripts."

I did exactly this!! I just gave minimal info on the two college course that he took.  And I just pointed to the submitted pdf school profile.  Thanks for pointing that out!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Yes, I mean in the homeschool supplement. You are writing course descriptions for all of your son's classes? I didn't do that. I'm just uploading a standard transcript.

11 minutes ago, Mom2boys said:

You are writing course descriptions for all of your son's classes? I didn't do that. I'm just uploading a standard transcript.

If you ask my friends and my kids, I've been planning this process since my eldest was 3. Yes, some of us wrote course descriptions for every one of our kid's classes (or copied the online or college provider's descriptions). There are multiple threads where we tear our hair out over what tense to use, how to list books (by author's last name or by title?, include ISBN or not, etc) or whether to include the teacher's educational credentials. (Or maybe all those discussions just happened in my head.)

My transcript document went into the first transcript slot. My course description document went into my second slot on the Common App. Was it absolutely necessary? Probably not, but I've already started one for my sophomore.  . . 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Mom2boys said:

Yes, I mean in the homeschool supplement. You are writing course descriptions for all of your son's classes? I didn't do that. I'm just uploading a standard transcript.

Yes, I wrote up a paragraph or so for each one (or cut and pasted descriptions from his college's website for DE classes) along with a list of texts and resources used and reading lists. I have no idea if anyone will actually read them, but some colleges he's applying to request something like that from homeschoolers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mom2boys said:

So for the teacher recommendations, is there a way to see if they have been uploaded to the Common App? If so, where would one find that information?

From the student's version, you can click on each school's "recommender" place and see if it says "not started", "started" or "completed". (I don't know if it is "completed" because we don't actually have one that says that yet.)

There's a way to see it on the recommender's account, too, but I think it is easier on the student one....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2018 at 8:45 PM, FuzzyCatz said:

Ugh - so tedious.  Really schools, do you really think kids want to wax poetic about the finer points of each school through multiple essays!?  Yes, seems like a good fit along with a bunch of other schools.  Show me the money and I'll happily deliver an eager student.    I don't mind the single essay on "Why School X".  It's when there are 2 or 3.  Not to mention my kid is applying to music programs.  So you apply on the common app.  Get a music portal.  And then there's all sorts of hoops and writing to do on those too?! Plus prescreens and auditions.  So ridiculous and tedious.  There are not enough bottles of wine I tell you.  LOL.  I was hoping kid would apply to 10-12 schools.  He's at 6 right now.  That's looking like a good number.  ???  We will see!  I do suspect there's a couple more he'd like to get out but I made him do the safest schools first.  One of his safety schools has the worst and most ridiculous hoop jumping application processes.    I'm a full time secretary right now.  

Don't even get me started on the homeschool end of things.  LOL.

Good luck with the app's and auditions!  I went through the same thing with my son.  We traveled over 6,000 miles to 8 schools for auditions (by car!) and the work that went into the supplemental music stuff was enough to make us nuts--one school wants a repertoire list, one wants a music resume, one wants a pre-screening video, etc., and then tell us why this school? why this music program?  I remember driving home from the last audition (which was about 10 hours away) on the verge of a nasty illness and wanting nothing more than to get home and collapse, preferably with a glass of wine in my hands.  It all seemed worth it when he was accepted to all 8 schools and passed all his auditions, even his musical 'reach' school--the one he hoped and dreamed for, because it had a combined major program.  He got in, but the financial aid package just wasn't enough.  He was upset, but had other decent choices and went off to school that August.  By October, he was rethinking his career plans and decided to transfer into another non-music program at another institution (that had the major he planned to combine with music at his dream school).  It was a difficult decision for him, after SO many years of dedication and hard work at his piano studies.  It has turned out for the best, though, and I don't regret one minute of that 6,000 miles we traveled together.  It was such a cool time for me, spending so much one-on-one time with him before he was preparing to live away from home.  It was good for him, too, validating all his hard work and his talent.  But I can tell you, I did not feel that way back then!  Ugh! 

• Like 3

I am in awe of those who homeschooled high school and have to do course descriptions, counselor recs, etc. Just going through the app process when DS18 attends a B&M school has been tedious. It is a very small school, and the person who wears the "college counselor" hat only does that part time and is overloaded. When it was time to write the counselor letter, she insisted I sit with her and give her ideas although she would "use her own words" - this despite the fact that sees and talks to my son almost daily. DS and I have to track all supplemental materials and deadlines, then remind her of things, often multiple times. Fortunately, he has two great recommenders who pay attention to the requests and deadlines sent from the Common App and individual colleges.