Menu

If one wanted to travel the world full time

Excelsior! Academy

I watch a cute Air Force couple on youtube (Gott Love) who are wanting to be full-time vlogging travelers. Kyle is just about to end his AF career and they are taking off for a 6 month road trip. They have several sponsors and they saved a lot of money to go with. So I'd say start saving, of course, and then perhaps think of some way you could produce video or online written content (there are hotel review bloggers/vloggers, food vloggers, etc.) and secure a sponsor. (They are sponsored by Gorilla Pod, for starters.) I think they do have a video about traveling and saving--but I don't have a link. Mark Wiens is another travel vlogger who might have some suggestions. 

• Like 1

Software engineer 

ETA: I’m responding as I sit on a pizza place waiting for him to arrive from the airport. I’m serious though. A customs agent told him a couple of weeks ago that he’d never seen a passport “quite like this.”

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

how would one begin and fund said endeavor?

I made DH pay for it ?

jauntsandjollities.com

I’m neither jaunting nor jollying now though as I’m back to working 80hrs a week. This side effect of my travels was most unexpected ?

there is a worldschoolers Facebook group and the most asked question is “how do you fund this?”. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Train to be a travel agent / guide / related.  Sell the house and put the money in multiple different banks.  Important papers in a deposit box somewhere (with electronic copies on my laptop and backup drives).  Get some kind of job that travels - travel guide or related position, some kind of worker on a cruise ship or airline.  Pack up and go.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

If the life I currently live could support this life once my kids are adults, this is what I would do

http://aboardtheworld.com/

I would absolutely live on a cruise ship full time.  If I won the lottery I would do it.  

It requires money that I cannot acquire without making sacrifices I am not willing to make at this time.

Travelling costs money.  There are choices to be made when one wants to travel like that.  What choices would the OP be willing to make?

My 90 yo neighbor did actually win the lottery and that is what she did with it after giving each of her kids a windfall.  She used the same ship and went on pretty much all of their cruises, knew the crew etc.  The ship was retired by the cruise line a few years ago and she retired with it!

• Like 3

Finding places around the world to live that is cheaper than the USA. Lots of expats saved for 2 years or so and sold homes, cars and whatever. 

Living in a cheaper area makes a big difference. 

Figure out how to work online if you don't already. Or teach English so many places want native teachers. But also realize if you are American you get blessed with taxes ? so plan for that too. 

• Like 1

I met a lovely woman and her daughter a few years ago who travel the world by house sitting.  Apparently there is a whole formalized network/websites for arranging this, so they go from place to place and spend a decent amount of time in each spot -- usually a month+ from what I can see.  I met her when they came to Dubai to house-sit for a few weeks and posted in one of our homeschooling network groups -- her daughter is the same age as mine, so the four of us met up.. I really enjoyed hearing about her travels, I had never known something like that existed..

Edited by Kate in Arabia
  • Like 5

I know a husband-wife team who teach ballroom dance and occasionally get hired by cruise lines to do nice, long, exotic voyages. So (and it's a long shot) if you have a specialty skill or can develop one, there are some pretty sweet deals out there in the cruise world.

I also know English teachers, especially in Asia, and people who translate legal documents, which you can do online from anywhere. Sometimes I wish I had put effort into my foreign language skills after high school. I've heard translation pays well once you build up a reputation and client base. Great for SAHM and/or world traveler!

• Like 2

One friend who travels part of the year is a travel writer and does social media management. Other people I know of who manage it either do things like blogging/vlogging or they are virtual assistants or run IT businesses that don't require them to be in a specific location. One friend house sits, not full time but that seems a good option.

Become an Airline Pilot or Flight Attendant or work for an airline in some capacity.  Join the U.S. Navy.  

FYI travel can become extremely stressful and many people "burn out" if it is required for their job.  We had a neighbor in our subdivision who traveled internationally, almost every week.  I think he retired because that was so stressful.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Lanny said:

FYI travel can become extremely stressful and many people "burn out" if it is required for their job.  We had a neighbor in our subdivision who traveled internationally, almost every week.  I think he retired because that was so stressful.

Travelling for work is a totally different ball game. DH has been to London many more times than we have, but little DD has been to the British museum more times than he has. ? the flip side of it is that his China experience and our China experience were also vastly different experiences, like night and day or like we visited two different countries. I’ve conspired with his Chinese colleague to let DH do his next China trip solo?

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

When my husband retires from the Air Force, even our youngest should be pretty close to graduating college.  That will leave us without a whole lot of obligations...

I imagine we will both need and want to work after he retires, but this thread is making me think it would be brilliant to travel for a year or so before we get stuck back into a mortgage and the other things that tie you to a place.

Edited by WendyLady
  • Like 5

I follow the Bucket List Family on YouTube - a young couple with 3 kids who traveled the world continuously for 2-3 years now. They started out by selling everything they owned and planned on going for  just 6 months, but gathered so many followers that now airlines, hotels, and corporations sponsor them to come stay there, fly on their airline, etc. They did recently buy a house in Hawaii so I think they’re settling down now, but they post weekly videos about their adventures that are fun to watch and live vicariously (and their kids are adorable!)

Edited by PinkTulip
Typo
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

I follow the Bucket List Family on YouTube - a young couple with 3 kids who traveled the world continuously for 2-3 years now. They started out by selling everything they owned and planned on going for  just 6 months, but gathered so many followers that now airlines, hotels, and corporations sponsor them to come stay there, fly on their airline, etc. They did recently buy a house in Hawaii so I think they’re settling down now, but they post weekly videos about their adventures that are fun to watch and live vicariously (and their kids are adorable!)

I watch them too.  He did sell an app for 55 million or something like that too. 

But yeah there are tons of ways to do it.  They were all listed here that I have seen posted in magazines. 

12 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

It’s lots easier with only young ones. It doesn’t sound like it should be, but it is. No schedule conflicts, cheaper tickets, easier to share space...

So no surprised they are likely thinking they need to settle in somewhere as a homebase.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

It’s lots easier with only young ones. It doesn’t sound like it should be, but it is. No schedule conflicts, cheaper tickets, easier to share space...

So no surprised they are likely thinking they need to settle in somewhere as a homebase.

Hmm i disagree. I thought I’d have issues dislocating a teen, but it was my 6 year old that was really not on board with a lot of the stuff...

My only tips:

Travel sans kids and sans husband if you can. Solo travel cuts costs. Or go with a friend who pays for their own portion.

Buy tickets 9-12 months in advance.

Buy tickets last minute.

Eat local foods.

Have a hobby that connects you to events of interests and people who share them.  Scuba divers know all the best places and cost saving helps.  Into knitting? There’s a huge deal in Vancouver, BC and you can “chat” with other knitters to find out the best places to stay nearby and tips on navigating the city. 

This is what I’ve done and it’s still not cheap to me, but it sure isn’t nearly as expensive as some people might think either.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Hmm i disagree. I thought I’d have issues dislocating a teen, but it was my 6 year old that was really not on board with a lot of the stuff...

Which would make sense if I was commenting on who wants to do what rather than how to reduce costs.

What kind of traveling the world do you have in mind?

How often do you feel it would be realistic for you to be gone on a trip and how long for each trip?

What would be your must do type things or things you are sure you don’t want to bother doing?  Do you have friends who travel? What’s your husband or grown kids think of trips?

How much are you willing to sacrifice to travel?

Asking myself these questions really helped create a doable plan of action for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

What kind of traveling the world do you have in mind?

How often do you feel it would be realistic for you to be gone on a trip and how long for each trip?

What would be your must do type things or things you are sure you don’t want to bother doing?  Do you have friends who travel? What’s your husband or grown kids think of trips?

How much are you willing to sacrifice to travel?

Asking myself these questions really helped create a doable plan of action for me.

Yes, I think one needs to ask oneself some very specific questions like these. Along with: 

How old are you and how's your health? Any on-going health issues are going to potentially be very difficult to deal with abroad.

Travelling alone or with someone else?

What's your passport(s) and does this cause any limitations of places to visit. When do you need visas, how will you sort that out as you travel?

I have a few relatives who have travelled around the world and managed to do this for extended periods of time, then returned to their homeland. They were flight attendant, nurse on a cruise ship, and pig/chicken farmer. The farmer travelled around the world on 2 separate occasions. He sold all his stock and he and his wife did a world tour by plane stopping at various destinations. Then they returned home to their farm, bought more stock and went on with life until a few years later when they travelled again. 

• Like 1