Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
FairProspects

Digital Book Tools - Learning Ally

Does anyone know if Learning Ally includes digital book tools? Say the ability to search and mark up the text? Both boys are at the point where this would be extremely helpful and I'm not quite sure how to teach this skill with digital rather than print text. If I want them to find a textual quote from the character Nat, for example, that demonstrates evidence of Nat's personality (indirect characterization), can they search for the word "Nat" in chapter 2 to find all his dialogue? It will be extremely difficult for them to skim the physical text with their dyslexia, and it seems like there has to be a more efficient way for them to accomplish this skill.

That is a great question. I don't know the answer, though! It's so true that tech tools are great, but they aren't a cure-all. They can be very difficult to use, and usually don't work the way you want them to work ? 

Lakeshore Learning has (had) kits of close reading bookmarks and book tabs. You could have him follow along with a printed text while using the audio (old-fashioned immersion, haha), and tell him AHEAD of time types of things you want to notice so he can mark as he goes.

https://www.lakeshorelearning.com/products/language/reading-comprehension-fluency/close-reading-discussion-clips-nonfiction/p/PP869  These are non-fiction, but I know I picked up fiction as well. They were on clearance, so who knows.

Edited by PeterPan

We quit LA 5 years ago; however, both the Kindle and Voice Dream apps allow the user to search, highlight text, and export the highlighted text.  Bookshare books are compatible with Voice Dream, and DS used both apps in high school on an iPad.

Edited by Heathermomster
clarification

1 hour ago, Heathermomster said:

We quit LA 5 years ago

Can I have a laugh and say I thought you meant you quit LANGUAGE ARTS 5 years ago... I was like dude, how'd she get away with that, what a score! LOL But nah, you just meant Learning Ally, lol.

Back to LA (language arts) and math here, lol.

2 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

We quit LA 5 years ago; however, both the Kindle and Voice Dream apps allow the user to search, highlight text, and export the highlighted text.  Bookshare books are compatible with Voice Dream, and DS used both apps in high school on an iPad.

Ok, awesome, so it looks like I will just have to teach them to do this in Voice Dream. That probably means Learning Ally will add this feature in another 2 years. They always seem to be about 2 years behind the current technology, but they eventually get there.

• Like 1

Voice Dream can sometimes be persnickety, but not often.  DS uses it on his Android phone and old iPad. 

Here's a link to the Voice Dream Reader's User Manual.  Voice Dream reads all kinds of files.

• Adobe PDF (.pdf)
  • DRM-free EPUB eBooks (.epub)
  • DAISY text or audio books (.zip)
  • Plain Text (.txt and .text)
  • Microsoft Word (.doc and .docx)
  • Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt and .pptx)
  • Apple Pages (.page)
  • Apple Keynote (.key)
  • HTML (.html and .htm)
  • Rich Text Format (.rtf)
  • Audio (.mp3, .mp4, .m4a)

And not that anyone asked, but here I go:  the newest iPad with the Bluetooth stylus is a super useful device.  The regular sized iPad, which I believe is 9.7", works perfectly.  I have edited many of my son's papers using the Notability app and emailed them back with hand written corrections.

• Like 1