Menu

Common App: Optional Questions

I have searched old threads, but can't find info about this. (Please feel free to direct me to a link. )

Some of the optional questions are irrelevant for homeschoolers. I was going to leave them blank, but when I do a preview, it feels unfinished to have unanswered questions. (Some questions don't appear on the preview if you don't answer them, but some do.)  I'm trying to decide about listing number of APs available and max number that can be taken. Same for honors. If anyone actually answered this, what was your approach? If you left it blank, I'd be interested in knowing that as well. 

I know this probably won't make a difference either way, but I just want to make sure I've thought through everything. (ad nauseam)

The way I answered it was to say that the number of APs available equaled the number that she has taken! She started homeschooling as a junior, and started after the beginning a year so jumping into a designated AP class wasn't really an option for her. And this year she's taking 2 AP designated courses and self-studying for one other - so the number available I'm putting down is "2".

You're absolutely right that the question doesn't fit, but I felt that answering it any other way would do her a bit of a disservice.

• Like 2

I vaguely remember that question, but I know I left it blank. In my school profile, I included a small section about how difficult  (close to impossible) it is to actually take an AP test here (as the local school doesn't offer them, in general - although they have given the AP Stats & Calc AB test in the last five years - but have no syllabi on file w/The CB in that timeframe). So, I figured I covered the topic already.

I did not answer many optional questions on the CA.

• Like 2