Menu

Soup! Because it’s October! Post your faves :)

mmasc

I love soup all year, but especially when it’s fall and winter. I’d love some new recipes to try this year. One of my favorites came off a box of Barilla pasta. ? It’s called Barilla Ditalini Soup with Barley & Potato. 

Here’s a link to someone who has already typed up the recipe, so I’ll just link it. (Otherwise, I know nothing about this blogger!)

http://mishapcooking.blogspot.com/2012/10/barilla-ditalini-soup-wbarley-potato.html?m=1

This recipe really shines with that drizzle of good quality EVOO and fresh parm shaved on top, so don’t skip it!

Now post your favorites!

• Like 4

We like Portuguese Sweet Potato, Sausage, Kale Soup. 

My husband makes a low sodium Italian pork sausage substitute (instead of turkey); he also uses two cloves of garlic (instead of six), less of the red pepper than is called for, and sometimes uses fresh kale instead of frozen.

We serve it with fresh baked bread and butter. It gets better with time.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2

Cooking with Trader Joe: Chicken Taco Soup is the current favorite here. It only takes about 40 minutes, start to serve! We esp. like it topped with chopped avocado, cilantro, and shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese.

The only things I do differently:
- use roasted frozen corn rather than regular frozen corn
- sometimes I add a zucchini, cut into chunks
- cut the meat off of the thigh bones and cut into pieces before putting into the soup (cooks faster, and I hated having to pull the hot thighs out of the soup and try and shred the meat off, burning my fingers all the while) -- I do throw the thigh bones in for added "stock" flavor while cooking, and ladel them out just before serving.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

Ooooo...these all sound so good! I had a butternut squash soup one time at a ladies’ thing that was delicious, but I remember looking up the recipe at the time and thinking ‘I’m so glad I got to eat it and not cook it! So much work!’ ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I made a nice vegetable beef barley soup tonight.  It was really good.  I don't really have a recipe though as I throw in left over beef, gravy, veggies, etc and then add in seasonings, broth/stock, some barley, extra veggies, a can of diced tomatoes, a dash of steak sauce, some garlic, etc.

• Like 3

I like this one from Minimalist Baker:

https://minimalistbaker.com/tomato-and-vegetable-white-bean-soup/

It's basically a can of tomatoes, two cans of white beans, a can of tomato sauce, onions, garlic, basil, oregano (or whatever else you like in the way of spices), and whatever veg. you have available.  Recently that's been squash but it would also be good I think with kale or zucchini or carrots or maybe even turnips.  I like it because it always gets eaten and can always be made from what you have on hand, as long as you have a couple of cans of beans and a couple of cans of tomatoes in the pantry.  

• Like 1

Golden Coconut Lentil Soup from Budget Bytes. I serve it with this coconut rice.

Best Soup Ever by 7 Day Vegan/Zen Habits. It has pasta but I prefer it without as (to me) the pasta gets too soft.

Dakota Smashed Pea and Barley Soup (like the California Pizza Kitchen soup). I use only a little salt in this recipe, maybe 1 Tbsp at most.

Lisa's Lovely Lentil Stew. Simple but tasty every time.

• Like 1

Easy & fast - that's how I like it:

Heat up chicken stock (make chicken stock if you can - this takes a little longer but it's worth it IMHO. I make stock on the weekend when I have more time)

Whisk 2 eggs together and drop into the hot stock. 

Serve (I am not joking)!

If you do want to make things more complicated, put a few (or more) drops of soy or tamari sauce into the stock - then it's called Asian Egg Drop Soup. :laugh:

ETA: If anyone is looking for soup inspiration, I like "Ladled" by Kimberly Harris.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

Most of my family loves soup! Last week I made an "everything" soup because I needed to clear out old veggies. It had onions, carrots, celery, garlic, red bell peppers, summer squash, acorn squash, granny smith apples, a late jalapeno from my garden, and some homemade chicken broth. All blended together. The apples and jalapenos really brought it to new tart and spicy level, and it was good hot or cold. No recipe, just eyeballing it.

We also like cream of mushroom soup, tomato soup, lentil soup (everything from a smooth and plain red lentil soup to a chunky and meaty brown lentil soup), leek soup, veggie soup, squash soup,  minestrone...all the soups!

I kind of inherited a chestnut tree. It belongs to the neighboring property, but the new neighbor built a fence and excluded the tree because it would be awkward to build around. Since those prickly things land on my property and there's now a fence between us, I decided they're mine. No one's going to fight me for them except the squirrels. Anyway, getting back to soup, I really want to make a cream of chestnut soup. I'm getting about ten nuts per day, so any day now I can roast them and put them into a soup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LucyStoner said:

Our favorites:

vegan potato leek

zuppa toscana (sausage, potato and kale)

minestrone with basil pesto 

curried lentil 

Do you have a recipe for the minestrone with basil pesto? That sounds yummy!

17 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Do you have a recipe for the minestrone with basil pesto? That sounds yummy!

I make most of my soups without a recipe because that’s how I learned to cook as a kid.  Adding basil pesto to your fave minestrone recipe will get you a great soup and you can tweak it to your taste.  

• Like 3

This one, though I don’t follow this recipe.

jusg one egg, I make it with quinoa and fresh parsley is a must. https://www.thespruceeats.com/greek-egg-lemon-chicken-soup-1705784

butternut squash/ leek /potatoes soup

(no recipe, I throw it together). 

I also love Bosnian veal soup but can never make it. I have to eat out for that one. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

We are soup lovers in my household too! Here are a couple favorites:

Red, White, and Bean Minestrone: https://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/recipe/red-white-and-bean-minestrone

Chipotle Chicken and Corn Chowder:https://www.browneyedbaker.com/chipotle-chicken-and-corn-chowder/

Does anyone have a good Mach Choux recipe? The local Cajun restaurant makes a great one but I’d love to make it at home. I think they use some sort of cheese in their version but I’m not certain. 

• Like 1

It will be a while before we have soup weather but I love soup. I'll put some of my soups in a separate post.

17 hours ago, Kareni said:

This looks a lot like the turkey, sausage, and kale soup I get at the Publix deli. I've been thinking of making it at home and will give this a try. 

15 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I made a nice vegetable beef barley soup tonight.  It was really good.  I don't really have a recipe though as I throw in left over beef, gravy, veggies, etc and then add in seasonings, broth/stock, some barley, extra veggies, a can of diced tomatoes, a dash of steak sauce, some garlic, etc.

I love beef barley soup, and I also rarely use a recipe for soup. I rarely use recipes for most dishes because I just learned to cook at my mother's side and she didn't use recipes. 

15 hours ago, MrsMommy said:

I've shared all of my family's favorite soups on my website. Now if only it would actually cool off, so I wanted to make them...

Your pasta e fagioli looks very similar to my family's but your minestrone is different. Minestrone and pasta fagioli are like pasta sauce. Everyone has their own way of making it.

10 hours ago, madteaparty said:

jusg one egg, I make it with quinoa and fresh parsley is a must. https://www.thespruceeats.com/greek-egg-lemon-chicken-soup-1705784

I love Greeek lemon chicken soup! Going to try this one.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Since many of my soups aren't from recipes I found the closest I could online.

This is escarole and beans, which we always called scarole and beans (pronounced shkarole while rolling the R). I will sometimes add Italian sausage or chicken. If I do, I brown and partially cook it with the onion and garlic. http://www.3italiansisters.com/escarole-beans-zuppa-di-scarola-e-fagioli/

I make a white bean, spinach, and sausage soup similar to this one. https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/white-bean-spinach-and-sausage-soup-416069

For these next two I follow a recipe.

I wanted to make pumpkin soup one year when I grew a bunch of Seminole pumpkins but all the recipes I found had curry in them. We love curry but didn't want it in the soup. I found this and we all like it. It can be made with either fresh or canned pumpkin. It's good with toasted croutons on top. I use an immersion blender to smooth it but it isn't necessary. http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/pumpkinsoup.php

This chicken chili came from my dil by way of one of our nieces (dil made a few changes). It uses a lot of canned items but it's really good. Ds loves it and requests it often throughout the winter. I finally taught him how to make it because he wanted to bring it to a covered dish thing last year. It makes a full pot and freezes well.

1.5-2 lbs. ground chicken, or turkey
16 oz. chicken broth
1 (16oz) jar mild or medium salsa
48 oz. Great Northern Beans, undrained
1 (8oz) package pepper jack cheese, shredded
2 tsp. ground cumin
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 med. onion

Brown meat in saucepan over med-high heat, stirring until it crumblesIn a large pot stir in remaining ingredients. Add shredded cheese a little at a time and allow each addition to melt before adding more. Simmer over medium-low heat for about 1 hour.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

For these next two I follow a recipe.

I wanted to make pumpkin soup one year when I grew a bunch of Seminole pumpkins but all the recipes I found had curry in them. We love curry but didn't want it in the soup. I found this and we all like it. It can be made with either fresh or canned pumpkin. It's good with toasted croutons on top. I use an immersion blender to smooth it but it isn't necessary. http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/pumpkinsoup.php

Ok, first, you guys know how to make soup without a recipe, but now...growing your own pumpkins for it?!!! That’s just going too far...?I’m both impressed and jealous at the same time ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrsMommy said:

I've shared all of my family's favorite soups on my website. Now if only it would actually cool off, so I wanted to make them...

supposed to be near 90 and humid here this week. 

Having said that....I like Pioneer Woman slowcooker chicken tortilla soup. 

Gluten Free Instant Pot minestrone: https://dontmesswithmama.com/instant-pot-minestrone-soup-gluten-free-real-food/

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Ok, first, you guys know how to make soup without a recipe, but now...growing your own pumpkins for it?!!! That’s just going too far...?I’m both impressed and jealous at the same time ?

Well, I didn't grow them just for soup. I wanted to grow them for Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. ? Pumpkins don't grow well in Florida but Seminole pumpkins are a native squash that taste like the pumpkins we're all familiar with. They kind of took over the yard that year. I had enough for 2 pies as well as plenty of cooked pumpkin to freeze. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Well, I didn't grow them just for soup. I wanted to grow them for Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. ? Pumpkins don't grow well in Florida but Seminole pumpkins are a native squash that taste like the pumpkins we're all familiar with. They kind of took over the yard that year. I had enough for 2 pies as well as plenty of cooked pumpkin to freeze. 

I have a yummy (not-healthy-at-all-uses-crisco) recipe for pumpkin muffins that uses canned pumpkin. Now I want to grow them instead!

• Haha 1

I harvested my first butternut squash last week. I love it in soup. I just steamed my squash in the oven, then added it to a pot where I’d already sautéed some onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. I cooked it all in chicken broth with some fresh herbs (sage and parsley mostly) then puréed until smooth. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I harvested my first butternut squash last week. I love it in soup. I just steamed my squash in the oven, then added it to a pot where I’d already sautéed some onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. I cooked it all in chicken broth with some fresh herbs (sage and parsley mostly) then puréed until smooth. 

I *love* butternut squash cut into cubes and roasted in the oven with just olive oil, S&P. Yum! Mine would never make it to the soup!?

6 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I *love* butternut squash cut into cubes and roasted in the oven with just olive oil, S&P. Yum! Mine would never make it to the soup!?

I grew a lot of butternut squash. I love it roasted too, but I was in a creamy soup mood that day. I’m the only one here that likes it, so I’m going to have it every way til I’m sick of it. Did I mention that I didn’t even PLANT squash? Everything else suffered from excessive rain, but the squash (that I didn’t plant) thrived. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't have links either because they're mostly in my head, but we love soup!

Sausage, butternut squash roasted and pureed, corn, and rice
Chicken tortellini - a basic chicken noodle soup but with frozen tortellini noodles and basil and oregano and some cream and parmesan cheese
Sausage zucchini tortellini - a very savory tomato based soup with beef broth and red wine - yum!!!
Taco soup - black beans, ground beef, corn, lots of chili powder and cumin
Cheesy ham and rice - wild rice, brown rice, chicken stock, diced ham, cheddar cheese
Sausage, kale and potato
Cheesy bacon and potato - lots and lots and lots of cheese! with some bacon thrown in for good measure lol

• Like 1

https://www.aspicyperspective.com/vegan-creamy-golden-vegetable-soup/  

zuppa toscana soup, like Olive Garden serves

Trying to love squash, and liked this one:  https://damndelicious.net/2014/12/10/roasted-butternut-squash-bacon-soup/

creamy wild rice soup

hamburger vegetable soup-- don't forget the cabbage, per ds  ;)

cheeseburger soup https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheeseburger-soup/  I think this is the recipe I use

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

This is a low FODMAP soup for people with tummy troubles. Quinoa, carrot, and collard green soup. This soup is really very, very good!! It's great topped with a bit of parmesan or mozarella cheese. Editing to add: I would advise to use the chili powder to taste, as it could end up too spicy. I just add a tiny bit and add more at the end if needed. I also mix in a small pinch of cayenne pepper in my bowl just before eating. Just enough to give it a bit of flavor but not hot. So be careful not to add too much cayenne or chili powder. I think the recipe asks for too much, IMO.

https://eathealthyeathappy.com/low-fodmap-soup-recipe/

I liberally sprinkled the sliced beef for pepper steak with cayenne instead of paprika a month ago.  Luckily it was old cayenne. lol  Dh did actually eat the leftovers, too! haha

21 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

This is a low FODMAP soup for people with tummy troubles. Quinoa, carrot, and collard green soup. This soup is really very, very good!! It's great topped with a bit of parmesan or mozarella cheese. Editing to add: I would advise to use the chili powder to taste, as it could end up too spicy. I just add a tiny bit and add more at the end if needed. I also mix in a small pinch of cayenne pepper in my bowl just before eating. Just enough to give it a bit of flavor but not hot. So be careful not to add too much cayenne or chili powder. I think the recipe asks for too much, IMO.

https://eathealthyeathappy.com/low-fodmap-soup-recipe/

Will it make me enjoy collard greens?  ;)  Think I'll give it a try.  thanks!

Here are a few favorites:

Northwoods Bean Soup: Super easy, quick, healthy. It seems weird to blend up some of the soup to thicken, but the texture is fine when eating it.
Pioneer Woman's Potato Soup
Tomato-Basil-Parmesan Soup: It says it's for the slow cooker, but I've always made it on the stove and just let it cook for an hour. Another easy, cheap, healthy soup.
Chef John's Mushroom Soup: Worth the work; I never use whipping cream but I sub with evaporated milk or half and half.

And my very favorite, Butternut Squash Soup: I've found it easiest to buy two boxes of frozen pureed squash or two bags of frozen cubed squash, and I only use one brick of cream cheese. The best part is that no one else in my house eats it, so I get it all!

I started making bread to go with my soup. After baking this bread, I bought the cookbook. It's fabulous!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

Here are a few favorites:

Northwoods Bean Soup: Super easy, quick, healthy. It seems weird to blend up some of the soup to thicken, but the texture is fine when eating it.
Pioneer Woman's Potato Soup
Tomato-Basil-Parmesan Soup: It says it's for the slow cooker, but I've always made it on the stove and just let it cook for an hour. Another easy, cheap, healthy soup.
Chef John's Mushroom Soup: Worth the work; I never use whipping cream but I sub with evaporated milk or half and half.

And my very favorite, Butternut Squash Soup: I've found it easiest to buy two boxes of frozen pureed squash or two bags of frozen cubed squash, and I only use one brick of cream cheese. The best part is that no one else in my house eats it, so I get it all!

I started making bread to go with my soup. After baking this bread, I bought the cookbook. It's fabulous!

Thank you so much for posting the bread recipe too! I’ve had a no-knead Dutch oven bread pinned for *months* intending to make it, but I can never remember to get it started the day before I’m having soup! That’s just too much planning. I am not a bread maker at all!? But this recipe looks like one I can maybe be successful with. ? Plus it looks yummy. I have everything on hand, except I just have one Pyrex that is the correct size. 

We just had a soup dinner gathering for our women's group at church so I brought:

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup (for my 15yo newly vegetarian dd who is also lactose intolerant & was afraid that every other vegetarian soup would be cream based)

Chicken Meatball Minestrone that I made for myself as I am doing another Whole 30.  I threw together chicken meatballs that I had made 2 weeks ago with on sale ground chicken, some veggies, a jar of compliant marinara sauce, a container of bone broth and seasonings.  What really made it was the small container out of my freezer of pureed roasted sweet potatoes.  It gave it a sweet taste to balance the acidic tomatoes and a velvety mouth feel.  

We had to make cards for each crock-pot with allergy info.  Mine said gluten-free, dairy free, soy free, sugar free, egg free, shellfish free.  I did list the almond meal I used in the meatballs.  One sister read the card and said, "What's in it, then?"

It was one of the few crockpots that was completely emptied!

I might have to make some more for my lunches this week.

Amber in SJ