Menu

My next unintended challenge - UPDATED In 1st post

Ginevra

Small update for those following along: MRI came back with no surprises. No additional areas of concern and showing lymph nodes of a normal, tiny size, suggesting they are not affected (only biposy will definitively answer, though). 

I met my treatment team today and got my genetics test on the schedule for next week. My oncologist is also (very thoughtfully and proactively, IMO) adding on a hematology component to investigate the lab claim from 2004 that I have Protein S Deficiency which theoretically caused my 2003 placental abruption. I think it shows great thoroughness that he wants to comb through this history. 

It is expected I will have lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy at the end of this month. Forward motion! It feels good. 

• Like 22

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I have a surgery date. Oct 30. They will do a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy. I don’t have the genetic test info back yet; that should be coming next Wed. It feels good to be moving forward. 

In a weird, partially-related plot twist, my mom, who kicked out BC five years ago, turned up with high cancer markers in her last check. Drs. are suspicious of some lumph nodes in her chest. She is having a biopsy on Oct 29. ? Something to be thankful for, though: I’m enormously glad my sister has moved back to the area because now there are two sisters here to help out. I was my mom’s “secretary” during her breast cancer treatment and if she has to go fight another round, we need reinforcements. 

• Like 35

Cancer completely sucks...but I'm glad you got one of the best possible kinds to fight.  Your post reminded me that I'm due for my 6 month post-breast MRI mammo, so thanks for that.

May God and the Universe send you awesome doctors and nurses that steer you through this with zero complications, and may you find an army of friends and supporters to help you through. ❤️ 

Edited by umsami
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Quill said:

UPDATE: I have a surgery date. Oct 30. They will do a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy. I don’t have the genetic test info back yet; that should be coming next Wed. It feels good to be moving forward. 

In a weird, partially-related plot twist, my mom, who kicked out BC five years ago, turned up with high cancer markers in her last check. Drs. are suspicious of some lumph nodes in her chest. She is having a biopsy on Oct 29. ? Something to be thankful for, though: I’m enormously glad my sister has moved back to the area because now there are two sisters here to help out. I was my mom’s “secretary” during her breast cancer treatment and if she has to go fight another round, we need reinforcements. 

I am glad to hear you have a surgery date set.  I will be sending lots of prayers your way that day.  I am so sorry to hear about your mom.  I will sending lots of prayers her way.  I am glad you have more family around to help out. 

• Like 1

On October 3, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Quill said:

Your wish is my command! ?

Initial pathology is very good. For those who like the technical details: Stage 1, Grade 1, ER+ and PR+, HER2-. For the layman: early, slow-growing, most common profile, 95% remission outlook. 

Still on the docket: sentinal lymph biopsy, MRI, genetic workup. Of these, the genetic workup is the slowest report and treatment partially hinges on that. That is a two-week-wait and it hasn’t been done yet. IF those workups don’t reveal unpleasant surprises, I can skate out of this with a lumpectomy and radiation. I’m hoping for this outcome; I do not want to go double mastectomy and reconstruction route unless the baddies lurking in my genes strongly suggest that route. 

Lots of appointments coming up! Feeling positive though and and SO relieved to hear the “slow-growing” and “early” parts of this report. 

Quill I am happy for the good news in this report.  I am wondering if one of the genetic tests you are waiting on is the one that gives you a score of 1-50....1 being a reoccurrence as unlikely.  My sister had bc about 6 years ago and her tumor was .1 over the size where they recommend chemo.  When she told them she wanted only the lumpectomy and radiation but no chemo they gave her a hard time....finally a doctor said well there is a test we can do......her number came back as a 2.  It annoys me they didn't offer the test until  she refused chemo.  Anyway she is doing very well--6 years cancer free.  

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Quill I am happy for the good news in this report.  I am wondering if one of the genetic tests you are waiting on is the one that gives you a score of 1-50....1 being a reoccurrence as unlikely.  My sister had bc about 6 years ago and her tumor was .1 over the size where they recommend chemo.  When she told them she wanted only the lumpectomy and radiation but no chemo they gave her a hard time....finally a doctor said well there is a test we can do......her number came back as a 2.  It annoys me they didn't offer the test until  she refused chemo.  Anyway she is doing very well--6 years cancer free.  

Yes, that is called Oncotype DX and they do that testing on the tumor after surgery. Fortunately this was offered to me as standard of care. There are also brand-new study results on this out in June 2018, that make the numbers more accurate than ever before if one scores in the ambiguous range. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Quill said:

Yes, that is called Oncotype DX and they do that testing on the tumor after surgery. Fortunately this was offered to me as standard of care. There are also brand-new study results on this out in June 2018, that make the numbers more accurate than ever before if one scores in the ambiguous range. 

That is good to know.  I have been hearing lately that since the tests are more precise, they are recommending fewer people need chemo. I mean, if one new chemo, then they need Ibut I think there was a lot of over medicating for a while there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

That is good to know.  I have been hearing lately that since the tests are more precise, they are recommending fewer people need chemo. I mean, if one new chemo, then they need Ibut I think there was a lot of over medicating for a while there. 

I agree. If chemo is the best course of action, then, well, okay - I will face it. But if I am well in the range of “not well recommended for chemo” then I will happily excuse myself from it. I have seen the effects of chemo up close and personal and I would much rather leave that a challenge uncronfronted if possible. 

• Like 6

Because I am on here so sporadically I am just seeing this.  I am sending all my good thoughts, prayers, positive energy your way for you to be surrounded by clear minded medical professionals, that you and your family will be have peace and that all will go well with the best results possible.

For what it's worth, my grandma had a very similar diagnosis of a very small, slow growing tumor on one side in her early 50s.  She had it removed and a small amount of radiation treatments and has had nothing reoccur.  She is now 94 :)

Amber in SJ

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

Put it in my calendar so I remember to send good thoughts for your surgery. Keep going! You'll get through it. Things are going to be OK>

Awesome! You reach Oct 30 a looooong time before I do, so I have like a whole day of good thoughts preceeding my surgery! ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE on genomic testing: NO GENETIC INVOLVEMENT! ? So “the girls” will be staying put although Lefty gets a penalty (lumpectomy). Also very happy that this will not be passed on to my kids! 

• Like 40

1 minute ago, texasmom33 said:

That. Is. Awesome. Way to go BooKS! ?Sorry about the penalty though. Hopefully its as uneventful as possible. 

Still radiation too, correct? 

Yes, radiation is a definite. Chemo depends on testing the tumor and lymph nodes. Looks like I might get to pass chemo, but we can’t be sure until the microbiology sings. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Quill said:

UPDATE on genomic testing: NO GENETIC INVOLVEMENT! ? So “the girls” will be staying put although Lefty gets a penalty (lumpectomy). Also very happy that this will not be passed on to my kids! 

That is great news!  Your family history of BC sounds very similar to mine.  I have a mother, grandmother, and great grandmother who all had breast cancer, (and from limited medical records it is believed my grandmother had ovarian cancer), but no genetic involvement.  Both my mother and I have been tested.  However, doctors are convinced that we have some genetic condition because of the family history:   either a particular gene that is yet to be discovered, or something in our family makeup that makes us more prone to getting BC.  So, your girls should assume they are more likely to get it than the general population and should be diligent.  (I don't mean to scare you or be a downer;  being diligent and on top of it is what's most important!  I always felt that knowing that stuff ahead of time is one of the best tools in my box.)

It does seem to be a slow-growing kind with all of my family as well.  They all survived it and lived to old age.  (My mother is 90!)  You'll be fine!!

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, J-rap said:

That is great news!  Your family history of BC sounds very similar to mine.  I have a mother, grandmother, and great grandmother who all had breast cancer, (and from limited medical records it is believed my grandmother had ovarian cancer), but no genetic involvement.  Both my mother and I have been tested.  However, doctors are convinced that we have some genetic condition because of the family history:   either a particular gene that is yet to be discovered, or something in our family makeup that makes us more prone to getting BC.  So, your girls should assume they are more likely to get it than the general population and should be diligent.  (I don't mean to scare you or be a downer;  being diligent and on top of it is what's most important!  I always felt that knowing that stuff ahead of time is one of the best tools in my box.)

It does seem to be a slow-growing kind with all of my family as well.  They all survived it and lived to old age.  (My mother is 90!)  You'll be fine!!

Yes, I agree with you on this. There was one “variance of uncertain significance” in my report, though it is not (currently) believed to relate to BC; it is related to colon or stomach cancer. When new information is discovered, I will supposedly be contacted. 

It is very important for any person to be vigilant about their healthcare. 

• Like 3

I'm a bit late to the party, but that's great news, Quill. 

I had enough familial history of the ovarian/breast/pancreatic triad, complicated by the paucity of females in the family--there were not enough women involved to trigger insurance to pay for it--that I had to pay for mine out of pocket! I was so relieved to have a "clean slate" on the genetics, otherwise, we've have done a double and gotten it over with.  I'm glad, more than anything else, to know that my sons and dd don't have that hanging over their head.  I would have always wondered.  

Will wait with you to hear the results of the testing on the bugger itself.  

{{Quill}}

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 3:13 PM, Quill said:

Crappy news ahead. I put up a post a bit over a month ago about cysts in the breast because I had a hard spot on Lefty. Well, the hard spot didn’t go away and, if anything, was getting more “organized” in the way it felt. So - in for mammo, which was due anyway. Also a breast ultrasound of Lefty. Then that sucky moment when the radiology doctor comes in to discuss images - never a good sign. He said, “I feel very certain this is not a cyst.” So I scheduled a needle biopsy, which I had last Thursday. Then the anxious weekend, waiting for a report. 

Call came today, on my 24th wedding anniversary and the first day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. (I have impecable timing.) I have Breast Cancer, friends. I will know more after my meeting Wednesday. Thanks for your prayers and healing thoughts. I am prepared to do battle. 

UPDATE: surgery on the calendar Oct 30. I updated at the end of the thread, too, but we don’t have post numbers anymore. 

Oh Quill!! 
I am so sorry to read this!  :(  It's so hard to believe when unbelievable things happen. :(  Praying things go spectacularly well on the 30th.  I'll be thinking of you.
~Kelly

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 8:38 PM, Quill said:

HUGE.  Relieved to see this at the very least - that genetic piece can weigh so heavy on a mom.  <3 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just catching up on all of this, Quill, as I'm at my mom's and have extra time on the 'net.  Wishing you well tomorrow... We'll be on the road, but I will definitely try to check back in to see how it's all going.  Between you and family, you have a lot going on.  May it go well for everyone.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, creekland said:

Just catching up on all of this, Quill, as I'm at my mom's and have extra time on the 'net.  Wishing you well tomorrow... We'll be on the road, but I will definitely try to check back in to see how it's all going.  Between you and family, you have a lot going on.  May it go well for everyone.

Yes, this.  Sending up prayers and I will light a candle for you tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Thinking of you today... wishing you a totally uneventful procedure and easy recovery.  If you haven't picked out some sort of mental reward for afterward, it's still my suggestion to do so.  You can give yourself permission.  I'm sure the Hive would vote 100% on that if you did a poll.  ?

• Like 2