Menu

My next unintended challenge - UPDATED In 1st post

Ginevra

7 hours ago, Eliana said:

Oh, love.  

This feels so unfair... I'm sad and angry and disappointed for you.   I know you can do this, but I really wish you didn't have to.   (((Danielle)))

As you gird up and prepare to fight through this, I want to encourage you to have the strength to be selfish now... to put yourself first, probably for the first time ever.  You've been giving and caring and tending and feeding and accommodating... and you've been beyond amazing.   For this season, I hope you can let (even demand with your nearest and dearest) others care for you.   Be tough on cancer, but really gentle with yourself.  You deserve it.  

Eliana worded this better than I could have. So I'll add that I'm keeping you in my prayers, Quill and I wish I lived closer so I could be there for you in person!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Quill said:

Your wish is my command! ?

Initial pathology is very good. For those who like the technical details: Stage 1, Grade 1, ER+ and PR+, HER2-. For the layman: early, slow-growing, most common profile, 95% remission outlook. 

Still on the docket: sentinal lymph biopsy, MRI, genetic workup. Of these, the genetic workup is the slowest report and treatment partially hinges on that. That is a two-week-wait and it hasn’t been done yet. IF those workups don’t reveal unpleasant surprises, I can skate out of this with a lumpectomy and radiation. I’m hoping for this outcome; I do not want to go double mastectomy and reconstruction route unless the baddies lurking in my genes strongly suggest that route. 

Lots of appointments coming up! Feeling positive though and and SO relieved to hear the “slow-growing” and “early” parts of this report. 

This is what we were hoping for - if it has to happen in the first place - at least it's a good initial report! Praying for no lymph node involvement and no genetic markers indicating reason for concern.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nicholas_mom said:

So sorry to hear this.  DH's sister is Chief Pathologist.  If you want a second opinion as you go forward, let me know, we get her phone number for you!

I pray that this is another misdiagnosed thing............

Thanks! I’m sure this goes without saying but as I know you IRL, I’m sure you will notice this is not common knowledge in our community yet. I’m not quite ready to face all the people. ? 

(Irony: when you tell the world wide web something you haven’t told the lady next door...) ?

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, Quill said:

Initial pathology is very good. For those who like the technical details: Stage 1, Grade 1, ER+ and PR+, HER2-. For the layman: early, slow-growing, most common profile, 95% remission outlook. 

Still on the docket: sentinal lymph biopsy, MRI, genetic workup. Of these, the genetic workup is the slowest report and treatment partially hinges on that. That is a two-week-wait and it hasn’t been done yet. IF those workups don’t reveal unpleasant surprises, I can skate out of this with a lumpectomy and radiation. I’m hoping for this outcome; I do not want to go double mastectomy and reconstruction route unless the baddies lurking in my genes strongly suggest that route. 

Lots of appointments coming up! Feeling positive though and and SO relieved to hear the “slow-growing” and “early” parts of this report. 

I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes because I feel so relieved for you. I know that sounds so weird considering that you just got diagnosed with something nobody wants and that nobody wishes on their worst enemy, but this is the very best possible news you could have gotten today, and the genetic report seems to be the only real question mark right now. Do you have any family history that would make the genetic aspect more likely?

I’m so glad you didn’t ignore this and that you got it checked out before it had a chance to grow. I’m hoping there’s no lymph node involvement because you caught it so early.

I’ll keep praying for you every day and sending lots and lots of positive thoughts. (And I won’t even argue with you about purses, I promise!!! ? )

You know we are all here for you whenever you need us for anything. 

Edited by Catwoman
Typos, as always!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Quill said:

Thanks! I’m sure this goes without saying but as I know you IRL, I’m sure you will notice this is not common knowledge in our community yet. I’m not quite ready to face all the people. ? 

(Irony: when you tell the world wide web something you haven’t told the lady next door...) ?

Don't feel obligated to tell anyone unless you want them to know. Everyone here on this forum knew all about my dh’s liver transplant, but most of the people we know IRL didn’t know a thing until after he’d had the transplant and we knew he was okay. We just didn’t feel up to dealing with a lot of unsolicited advice and scary horror stories, so it was easier to keep everything to ourselves and only tell a very few select people.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes because I feel so relieved for you. I know that sounds so weird considering that you just got diagnosed with something nobody wants and that nobody wishes on their worst enemy, but this is the very best possible news you could have gotten today, and the genetic report seems to be the only real question mark right now. Do you have any family history that would make the genetic aspect more likely?

I’m so glad you didn’t ignore this and that you got it checked out before it had a chance to grow.

I’ll keep praying for you every day and sending lots and lots of positive thoughts. (And I won’t even argue with you about purses, I promise!!! ? )

You know we are all here for you whenever you need us for anything. 

It does make them nervous because my mother and maternal gm both had breast and my gm had ovarian. Other great-aunts and different people I think also had it but I think they were not direct bloodline people. However, my mother did have genetic profile done when she had BC five years ago and she does not carry the BRCA mutations. (Still, that is not all there is to it...) we just won’t know for certain until that is done. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

It does make them nervous because my mother and maternal gm both had breast and my gm had ovarian. Other great-aunts and different people I think also had it but I think they were not direct bloodline people. However, my mother did have genetic profile done when she had BC five years ago and she does not carry the BRCA mutations. (Still, that is not all there is to it...) we just won’t know for certain until that is done. 

It’s definitely a point on your side that your mother didn’t carry the mutations. I know it takes time to do the testing, but I wish there was a way for you to get the test results sooner, preferably yesterday! Worrying about the unknown sucks. 

Edited by Catwoman
I can’t type at all today!
  • Like 1

Just now, Catwoman said:

It’s definitely a point on your side that your mother didn’t carry the mutations. I wish there was a way for you to get the test results sooner, preferably yesterday! Worrying about the unknown sucks. 

True, but honestly, the BEST thing of all I heard today was “Grade 1 - show-growing” because I have some pains in my breast and my imagination was having a field day with that. I was feeling very fearful that we have no time! Hurry up! Kwim? It is a relief to know it’s not going on a rampage in there! 

• Like 16

1 minute ago, Quill said:

True, but honestly, the BEST thing of all I heard today was “Grade 1 - show-growing” because I have some pains in my breast and my imagination was having a field day with that. I was feeling very fearful that we have no time! Hurry up! Kwim? It is a relief to know it’s not going on a rampage in there! 

Definitely!!! I’m sure you’re just wanting to get the show on the road and get it out of there! It’s creepy to think there’s something inside you that shouldn’t be there. Knowing for sure that it’s grade 1 is very encouraging, but the slow-growing part is the most important thing!

• Like 1

That is such a good report! I’ve been paying attention lately to some of the reporting on breast cancer and they said that a lot of these smaller cancerous just don’t need aggressive treatment. That what you were talking about is something that could have gone undetected for a very long time if you weren’t so aware of  your body. Sounds like your care plan is spot on! 

Oh, and I would highly suggest you get a second opinion once you have all the results. With another oncologist. This isn’t the kind of thing where you go with whatever the first person says. For instants, with radiation I believe you can’t have it again in the same spot. So you really want to make sure that is the very best route before you do it.

14 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Oh, and I would highly suggest you get a second opinion once you have all the results. With another oncologist. This isn’t the kind of thing where you go with whatever the first person says. For instants, with radiation I believe you can’t have it again in the same spot. So you really want to make sure that is the very best route before you do it.

You are not the first person to say this but I have decided to do this only if certain complications arise. I feel very confident with this surgical oncologist and her philosophy of treatment. I don’t want the delays and/or fihting with insurance that could happen if I go for a second opinion. 

I will go this route, though, if genetics or lymph node involvement turns out a certain way and we’re talking double mastectomy with reconstruction and chemo. Or if something doesn’t sit well with me as we move forward. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Quill said:

You are not the first person to say this but I have decided to do this only if certain complications arise. I feel very confident with this surgical oncologist and her philosophy of treatment. I don’t want the delays and/or fihting with insurance that could happen if I go for a second opinion. 

I will go this route, though, if genetics or lymph node involvement turns out a certain way and we’re talking double mastectomy with reconstruction and chemo. Or if something doesn’t sit well with me as we move forward. 

I can understand that - mental health matters too and if you just need it OUT ASAP, that makes sense. Maybe just do some research on various protocols? 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2018 at 12:54 PM, Quill said:

What a relief that is.   Hope all the other reports are as positive.  

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 9:54 AM, Quill said:

I am very sorry to read this news, Quill, but yes, your pathology is super positive. My sister was dx at age 39 with stage 3, ER+. No family hx or other obvious risk factors, so it came out of nowhere for us. She has been in remission for over a year. It is amazing how good the treatments are these days. I know it is scary, but you've totally got this. I don't know what state you live in, but cannabis really helped my sister with nausea and pain. Don't try to be a martyr. There are meds that can help with side effects. I am thinking of you, sending love, and will pray for a speedy and complete healing.   

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 3