Menu

October Frugalistas

Soror

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I’m so frustrated. This month has been tight and dh said use the credit card if necessary. Well I was grabbing clothing for laundry and saw his receipt from eating out with his buddy. My jaw dropped and honestly I thought maybe he footed the whole bill since they went out on Sat to celebrate dh’s birthday (dinner & movie and friend paid most of not all) and the theater caught on fire and they were offered a rain check. So the second outing I thought maybe dh offered to pay. But no, $67 was *just* for dh’s order/tip. They got appetizers, meal & alcohol. I’m like wow, you can’t read prices? We ate there for my birthday and I know the prices were visible on the menu. Good golly. I know dh told his friend he can’t eat out like that again but he’s also told me similar things and it happens again. I told him before if they hang out it should be dinner *or* a movie because they are foodies and go overboard with the eating out. Sigh.

To not be a flake I went out of my way to tutor last night since I thought I could not Wed. Aside from the person running the program I was really the only tutor there. Suddenly dh is offering to take dd with him (he has to leave town again) and drop her off at his mom’s during part of this conference thing. I said ok if they are all on board. So I *could* tutor tonight technically now but I don’t think I will bend over backwards for less than half his dinner bill as it would require me to keep ds out late (he’d come with me). 

Having to juggle my work because of dh’s schedule just makes me feel justified in not working full time. Not worth the headache. 

So basically I’m discouraged and annoyed but I’ll take that out on the yard. When dd leaves town I’ll try to finish mowing the yard. And maybe I can google how to use the trimmer. We have string for it but no idea how to change that out and operate the thing. 

I'd be frustrated too.

I think you *should* tutor, and you should put the money aside for yourself in a rainy day fund that is untouchable to dh.  I don't normally advocate for such things, but this would fall into the exceptions category for me.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'd be frustrated too.

I think you *should* tutor, and you should put the money aside for yourself in a rainy day fund that is untouchable to dh.  I don't normally advocate for such things, but this would fall into the exceptions category for me.

This is what I would do.  DH and I actually have separate savings accounts that are currently designated "hobby funds".  (Years ago we joked that mine was an 'escape fund' ? ) They're at the same bank as our joint accounts which makes it easy to move money into and out, but they are unseen by the other person.  It makes gift shopping for each other easier, but we really do enjoy the privacy of those separate accounts.  I would absolutely funnel money into it if dh was not meeting me over the budget.  I'd rather have that bit of security than a mind of stress.

Our news here......
DS was almost out of luck with a Halloween costume.  I couldn't find a yellow rainslicker anywhere in stock.  DH worked his magic and found one originally marked $72, on clearance for half that, and then another 15% taken off for some discount and another percentage for a military discount.  All done, it will arrive today for less than $30 shipped.
I saved $10 by darning his hockey socks myself.  They were part of his very low cost program ($100 for full gear, bag, stick, and 4 weeks of lessons) and I was loathe to drive out and find a pair his size again. 
DH has spent the month working nights and thankfully is almost done.  I don't enjoy the months where he's on that shift because everything falls to me to do.  I run out of time and energy and start trying to fit tasks in crazy holes in my schedule - like today when I was up cleaning the bathrooms at 5am because otherwise I would be in the bedroom while he's sleeping.  However, I have managed to keep our grocery budget low (a little over $80 this week) by doing a lot of crockpot and extended cook meals.  I didn't plan quite right, though.  I bought corn tortillas for tacos this week but they don't travel well once cooked.  DH didn't like the flour ones I bought, either, and ended up making pizza for his dinner last night. 
We did manage to fit in a field trip to Salem, MA: visited two of the museums and some of the free sites.  DS's one souvenir he took home was a stamp in his National Parks passport.  It was a great day and definitely worth it.  I will be going back in the spring when it's calmer.

• Like 1

I think we found our next house!  Dh and I looked at it with our realtor and her business partner today.  It fits the needs of our family and my parents, it's priced well, and has good bones (can I just tell you I hate that term but it is the only way to express what I mean about it.)  Biggest concerns are possible electrical issues and no central air on the top floor.  Our realtor is looking at the comps and deciding what we should offer with those issues in mind. I'm a big ball of nerves right now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I think we found our next house!  Dh and I looked at it with our realtor and her business partner today.  It fits the needs of our family and my parents, it's priced well, and has good bones (can I just tell you I hate that term but it is the only way to express what I mean about it.)  Biggest concerns are possible electrical issues and no central air on the top floor.  Our realtor is looking at the comps and deciding what we should offer with those issues in mind. I'm a big ball of nerves right now

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I'm not quitting tutoring, but it's just such a headache that I think extending myself to more work hours would just be a nightmare. Dh would like me to work days (find a job like on his campus or something), but I won't try it. Not now. Dh's coworker asked for Halloween night off. That's a Wednesday and normally dh is home that night. I normally tutor on Wed. Well this week I worked on Tues. because dh had to leave town today. Now, I'm going to have to work next Tues. as well since he will be working and I'll need to be home to watch the kids. It would not make any financial sense to have a sitter watch the kids while I tutor. I make $15/hr and according to my babysitting thread, I should be paying a sitter about $12/hr. I only tutor once a week because it's 30 min. away. I just try to combine it with other stuff like grocery shopping afterwards. Last night I didn't feel well and came straight home. Since dd left with dh (last min. decision) I didn't bother to buy orange juice when we were out today (went to pumpkin patch thing so we were out). Ds and I will probably just make do with what we have here. I was going to buy eggs but I didn't have much time. When I got home dh handed me some eggs from the neighbor's chickens!! That was a pleasant surprise. It's not that I have a huge preference on days of the week to work, but I hate telling someone I work for, "oh I can work this day, but not this one. Oh next week is different. Oh nevermind." I always feel so foolish. The same thing happened when I worked days at the local newspaper!! Dh said, "you can work the mornings I go in at noon" so I told them that. But then when a new semester started it was like, "oh I have to work mornings before the students come back" so I had to be home with dd. Summers he works days so I was like, "I won't be able to work summer days..." and there you go, I'm a flaky employee. But things didn't pan out there as they realized they really wanted an afternoon employee and not to do graphic design so it was a very short-lived job and I spent my earnings on a toddler carrier I would have otherwise probably not bought.

Right I'm only bringing home like $100/mo. for tutoring. It should be going toward medical bills I'm paying off, but yes I do spend some money on myself. It's just that my spending hasn't changed much with the job. I would have probably bought those things, anyway (ie. supplies for my upcoming sewing class). I can't open a separate bank account without it being a thing I think. Dh said okay at one point, but they will run our credit in order to open one and I don't want a hit on our credit. I don't know if it'd pull our credit score down. We're trying to build it back up. It's not awful, but it's not great right now. As it is now, I try to save up swagbucks and use those gift cards to offset my spending. Like, I'll cash out for Sam's gift cards and use that on grocery shopping. Today I said, "screw it" and I took dd to the pumpkin patch and used the credit card. The patch didn't cost much at all, but the gas is where a lot of our money goes.

I'm not sure I'm following. Do you mean if you worked FT you would eat out on your lunch hour or the family would eat out more because you wouldn't have time to prepare as many meals?

Sorry I wrote the all odd.  2 different thoughts

I hate going to eat because when we spend $100 on a meal out I think to myself, that was at least half or more of our weekly budget for food at the store. 

Then I was relating to you scheduling issues with having a part time job and dealing with your dh's job.  That has been my excuse all the time.  Of course my pt job wouldn't be as important as his job.  So if he had a meeting that went late or had to travel, it would be me that would have to figure out how to handle my pt job. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Thank you.  Keep crossing them.  I just sent the realtor the go ahead to draft up the offer.  So, we should be signing it and having your send it to their realtor tomorrow.  

Good luck!  It is moving so fast. 

Can you all explain Ibotta to me?  Do you  have to use the app to get the savings? 

Well we have a lot to think about and do before making an offer. Our realtor drafted everything, we were prepared to sign and send it over, and then the seller's agent dropped a bombshell on everything.

They revealed that their had been a previous offer that fell through because of an inspection. The inspection reveal $5000 in random repairs, these we had already anticipated and the original offer reflected that. However $7000 worth of termite damage was also discovered!

We're waiting on the previous inspection so we can look it over thoroughly, then we're going to walk through the house again, then we're gonna consider an even lower offer or to keep searching. My biggest fear is that the termite damage is more extensive but hidden in the walls.  

We could potentially get the at a ridiculously good price and create some good equity. But we have to be very thorough, smart, and detatch emotionally from the house.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Well we have a lot to think about and do before making an offer. Our realtor drafted everything, we were prepared to sign and send it over, and then the seller's agent dropped a bombshell on everything.

They revealed that their had been a previous offer that fell through because of an inspection. The inspection reveal $5000 in random repairs, these we had already anticipated and the original offer reflected that. However $7000 worth of termite damage was also discovered!

We're waiting on the previous inspection so we can look it over thoroughly, then we're going to walk through the house again, then we're gonna consider an even lower offer or to keep searching. My biggest fear is that the termite damage is more extensive but hidden in the walls.  

We could potentially get the at a ridiculously good price and create some good equity. But we have to be very thorough, smart, and detatch emotionally from the house.

Keep that in the front of your mind.  I am so glad you found out before it got to far.  Good luck deciding.  

• Like 2

We got the inspection report and it is so much worse than we thought.  Our realtor estimates there is 50K worth of repairs that need to be done, not all immediately but things that all change the value of the house drastically.  The structural, electrical, and hvac issues are immediate though.  We are currently researching construction loans while our realtor and her partner discuss a new asking price if we want to move forward.  We're not running away from the house yet as there is a lot of potential to get exactly what we are looking for at a good price but lots of numbers need to be crunched first.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We bought a house this year that needed work. We did so because comparable houses around us were $200k higher. Don’t underestimate the amount of time and mental energy such things take. We are 9 months in and still working on things.

Homeschooling families, by nature, have a ton of demands on their time already.

Well,  if we go forward we would be getting a renovation loan and have everything but cosmetic work done by other people.  Right now we are just trying to figure out that sweet price where we'll be ok with the risk and hassle.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Well,  if we go forward we would be getting a renovation loan and have everything but cosmetic work done by other people.  Right now we are just trying to figure out that sweet price where we'll be ok with the risk and hassle.

I think you misunderstand.... Picking out contractors, getting multiple bids, scheduling them out, coordinating between contractors, picking colors (shingles, light fixtures, whatever) and materials (researching between brands of HVAC) is still a cr*p ton of work. 

I have essentially had a contractor a week here since mid-February. Next week I am getting the TXV valve replaced in my HVAC (part finally came in!) and hopefully by the week following my new microwave will be off backorder and ready for install.

I have had HVAC, electrical, plumbing, appliance repair, roofing, gutters, handyman (dry rot in trim), painters, garage door repair people, and a long steady stream of others through here....most have had to make additional trips as we have dealt with issues beyond the known ones. 

Get the best home warranty plan you can (even if you pay for it yourself) as it has saved us about $6k at this point—yes, that number is up since I lasted posted. ? 

My point is give serious consideration to the hassle. Financially, this has been worth it...and we are ending the structural repairs I hope so I can start the painting and keep upgrading light fixtures...but if you are relatively new to home renovations, I wanted to toss out a heads up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I think you misunderstand.... Picking out contractors, getting multiple bids, scheduling them out, coordinating between contractors, picking colors (shingles, light fixtures, whatever) and materials (researching between brands of HVAC) is still a cr*p ton of work. 

I have essentially had a contractor a week here since mid-February. Next week I am getting the TXV valve replaced in my HVAC (part finally came in!) and hopefully by the week following my new microwave will be off backorder and ready for install.

I have had HVAC, electrical, plumbing, appliance repair, roofing, gutters, handyman (dry rot in trim), painters, garage door repair people, and a long steady stream of others through here....most have had to make additional trips as we have dealt with issues beyond the known ones. 

Get the best home warranty plan you can (even if you pay for it yourself) as it has saved us about $6k at this point—yes, that number is up since I lasted posted. ? 

My point is give serious consideration to the hassle. Financially, this has been worth it...and we are ending the structural repairs I hope so I can start the painting and keep upgrading light fixtures...but if you are relatively new to home renovations, I wanted to toss out a heads up.

Gotcha,  oh I'm sure it'll be a hassle if we go that route. Thankfully, we won't have to live in the house while stuff gets done.  We'll be walking through the house again next week, so we can make a decision.

• Like 3

I saved a lot of money this week because I just didn't make it to the store.  I should go today, but now I don't feel good. 

Grocery store $780 out of $800 (includes all food for 7 and dog, plus paper, and everything else).   We have a few meals, but I may/should shop today. 

I spent a bit on gas this week , but that is normal. 

We are not going to go to the ballet today.  Saved $230 (that is only for 4)  Argh

Got tickets for one of the 10 shows of Nutcracker that my kids are in.  Dh bought nicer seats than I wanted.  Plust $10.  But by buying in person instead of online we saved the $6 per ticket fees, plus you can only buy a lap child ticket in person.  Which is $2 instead of $55.  And they gave it to him for free since there was an issue.  So total we saved $69.

Got ds a winter coat.  I could have gotten him a puffer from Macy's for $13.99 this week, but then he would have needed a lighter weight coat too.  I don't let them wear the big coats in the car for safety reasons.  So I went with the 37.99 3-1 coat at  Costco.  It should last him 3 years.   If he doesn't have a huge spurt.  

I think a huge medical bill is going to end up half of what we thought it was going to be.  Hopefully no more. 

Two of the kids and myself are bit sick.  I am glad I bought the elderberries already, I made some yesterday.  Hopefully they get better quickly, we have an even busier week than usual.  I should have napped yesterday, but I didn't start feeling sick until the night.  Nap today!

Still need to figure out if the dryer can be fixed or if we have to get a new one.   I have not seen any good deals on a gas dryer.  They are so expensive.  If anyone sees one let me know. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

I'm hilariously over-budget on everything this month.  Everything.  I forgot that every year, once the first freeze of the season hits, I want to bake and roast all the things.  Last night I made avocado brownies (avocados were $0.49/each at Aldi) and banana chocolate chip muffins, and right now I have a pork butt ($0.99/lb this week) slow roasting in the oven for dinner tonight.  It smells so, so good in here right now.  Apple cider donuts (recipe from a GF donut cookbook) is on the schedule for this week.

We have a fully stocked freezer and pantry, I finally found hunting boots for DS10, sports and field trip seasons are almost done (less gas), and I'm done with buying all the much-needed storage for the basement.  Here's to a less spendy November... except for Christmas shopping.

On this week's menu:
 - Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Baked Beans, Roasted Potatoes/Carrots/Celery
 - Leftovers (it's a 7lb roast, we better have leftovers!)
 - Taco Tuesday
 - Cheese/Ham/Crackers/Raw Veggies, Chorizo Cheese Dip and Chips (Halloween night, the kids are always too hyped up to eat much)
 - Chili 3-Way, Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin (brussels sprouts are on sale at Aldi this week), and Brazilian Cheese Bread
 - Zuppa Toscana Soup, leftover Brussels Sprouts and Cheese Bread
 - Frozen Junk Food (won't be home, the kids and spouse are on their own)
 - Chickpeas and Rice, more Brussels Sprouts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Soo far behind.

I'm over budget in various categories too. 

Groceries. I've bought more snacks and haven't planned out meals as well as I should. BUT we've kept with not eating out so that is something.

Went way over on clothes (didn't really have much of anything in the budget). Took dd1 winter shopping I had found her a few things at Goodwill but not enough and I don't get hand me downs for her. So, spent about $57 on a jacket, a hoodie, a couple of long sleeve tops, and pair of jeans. 

Dh has spent more on auto repairs maintenance but that was a necessary evil. He is getting his old truck ready to sell (he is looking to buy his dad's old truck to replace his as it is much nicer and 10 yrs newer). Well, a couple of months ago it stopped shifting past 2nd gear- which could have been very, very bad but luckily it was not a huge repair- $75 and it is fixed. Now, he has to do some odds and ends to get it spruced up (nothing else mechanical) and it will be ready to FINALLY sell. His mom wants it in our name by the end of the year for taxes, so all of the funds from selling the old one will go towards it and the rest of the amount will come out of our tax refund. So, it is imperative that it gets fixed so it has plenty of time to sell. She doesn't want all the money now and the sale of old truck will cover more than half of the cost until we can finish paying it off a couple of months later. (because I'm not ready to hit our slowly building short-term savings for something that is not a necessity and leaving us vulnerable)

Kids had impromptu sleepover which led to some unplanned snack buying, kept it pretty simple but it wasn't free.

took the kids to the pumpkin patch and we had a great time $35

the kids have belt testing in TKD that I've not paid for yet, I think that is $120 for all 3 (half the cost of the old school)

I made the LAST braces payment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got to schedule a consult for me, so that will be in Nov's bills but it needs to be done, I've been saying I would for months but now it has been 6 months since I've had labs done, it is time.

My budget goals were attainable if I was really on the ball but I've not been lately, I'm just kind of with it, still learning to juggle all these changes in my life. But maybe perhaps I'm getting a little more used to things, bit by bit. At least having the goals kept it reined in some, it could be much worse. This month started out HELLA busy but it has calmed way down. Maybe I'm optimistic but I think next month will be much better. To my credit, I cleaned out an organized my frig, freezer, and all but 1 of my lower cabinets. My kitchen has been a bit of a wreck as of late making it hard to be as organized as I want with the cooking. I need to tackle my baking and canned cabinets now and I'll be all set. Maybe I can actually write down menus BEFORE shopping for the whole month. I did that for months but it has been very sporadic as of late, it really saves me time in the long term planning it all out but it just hasn't been happening every week. Too much of the time I've been hitting my fall back meals, which works but it is more time and mental energy then if I planned it out.

I'm ending out the month with VIPKID a bit over $1200, $100 more than last month. I'm hoping to do at least as good in Nov, we'll see. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, soror said:

Soo far behind.

I'm over budget in various categories too. 

Groceries. I've bought more snacks and haven't planned out meals as well as I should. BUT we've kept with not eating out so that is something.

Went way over on clothes (didn't really have much of anything in the budget). Took dd1 winter shopping I had found her a few things at Goodwill but not enough and I don't get hand me downs for her. So, spent about $57 on a jacket, a hoodie, a couple of long sleeve tops, and pair of jeans. 

Dh has spent more on auto repairs maintenance but that was a necessary evil. He is getting his old truck ready to sell (he is looking to buy his dad's old truck to replace his as it is much nicer and 10 yrs newer). Well, a couple of months ago it stopped shifting past 2nd gear- which could have been very, very bad but luckily it was not a huge repair- $75 and it is fixed. Now, he has to do some odds and ends to get it spruced up (nothing else mechanical) and it will be ready to FINALLY sell. His mom wants it in our name by the end of the year for taxes, so all of the funds from selling the old one will go towards it and the rest of the amount will come out of our tax refund. So, it is imperative that it gets fixed so it has plenty of time to sell. She doesn't want all the money now and the sale of old truck will cover more than half of the cost until we can finish paying it off a couple of months later. (because I'm not ready to hit our slowly building short-term savings for something that is not a necessity and leaving us vulnerable)

Kids had impromptu sleepover which led to some unplanned snack buying, kept it pretty simple but it wasn't free.

took the kids to the pumpkin patch and we had a great time $35

the kids have belt testing in TKD that I've not paid for yet, I think that is $120 for all 3 (half the cost of the old school)

I made the LAST braces payment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got to schedule a consult for me, so that will be in Nov's bills but it needs to be done, I've been saying I would for months but now it has been 6 months since I've had labs done, it is time.

My budget goals were attainable if I was really on the ball but I've not been lately, I'm just kind of with it, still learning to juggle all these changes in my life. But maybe perhaps I'm getting a little more used to things, bit by bit. At least having the goals kept it reined in some, it could be much worse. This month started out HELLA busy but it has calmed way down. Maybe I'm optimistic but I think next month will be much better. To my credit, I cleaned out an organized my frig, freezer, and all but 1 of my lower cabinets. My kitchen has been a bit of a wreck as of late making it hard to be as organized as I want with the cooking. I need to tackle my baking and canned cabinets now and I'll be all set. Maybe I can actually write down menus BEFORE shopping for the whole month. I did that for months but it has been very sporadic as of late, it really saves me time in the long term planning it all out but it just hasn't been happening every week. Too much of the time I've been hitting my fall back meals, which works but it is more time and mental energy then if I planned it out.

I'm ending out the month with VIPKID a bit over $1200, $100 more than last month. I'm hoping to do at least as good in Nov, we'll see. 

Last braces payment!  Sweet.     We are going to be going down that road soon and looks like every kid is going to need them. 

Awesome work on Vipkid.  I am really thinking of doing it.  I am at this point just trying to think where I could work in our house.  My kids are loud. 

Dh and ds got the dryer working!  Yeah.  I don't know how long it will last we shall see.  But hey that makes laundry so much easier. 

Bought some dance things for the kids $89.  I might give some of it for Christmas.   Looking at surprising them with tickets to go see Misty Copeland for Christmas.  Just trying to figure out where we want to fly to see her. 

• Like 1

I am new to these posts, but want to join in!

This month we have done pretty well on all budgets except our eat out. I was pretty sick this month and there were a few nights of Little Ceasers. I love their $5 pizzas!

My husband fixed our dishwasher (again, I am pretty sure the only original part left on it is the shell) saving us $250 for a repair call.

We were going to have company over for the first time in a long time, so wanted to spruce up a little. I cleaned the bathroom, then moved a picture in their from another room and soaked the label off of the hand soap pump we have been using for years. Just the act of soaking off the label and having a clear bottle there made it look nicer. Dumb I know, but it felt nice anyway.

Keeping up the menu planning and other frugalness that happens around here.

One hit we are taking is that I quit my part time job and we left our church. I just couldn't keep working for my boss anymore. My husband was totally on board and as my notice is winding down, he has set up an ebay account and an amazon account so that I can start selling online. Hopefully after some trial and error, I can make a little money at it! Our local library just called me today to say they had a bunch of books donated and did I want to come go through them to see if I want to sell any online! Yay!

Our menu this week, as it is the end of the month, involves using up lots of little bits in soup and casseroles. Not everyone's favorites, but a pattern they are used to. Trick or treat looks like a wash out this year, which means I have to provide dinner. Usually my husband takes them in town and one of the churches offers hot dogs and chips. I usually serve something for lunch loaded with veg and call it good, but this year I guess I'll be making the hot dogs!

I hope everyone has a successful month next month and that Christmas doesn't derail anyone's plans!

• Like 3

Made a last minute $200 watching a friends high maintenance dog for about 36 hours.  It is a family emergency and I told them I wouldn't charge them but they are insisting.  So woohoo, to a last minute $200 that replaces the cancelled job from last week.

Everything else this month is ending in budget.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I wanna dogsit for pay! I only ever do it for free! Hmmm. 

Getting paying clients is pretty easy, just let the people you currently sit for that you are starting to do it for pay  and see if they'll spread the word if they know anyone is looking. Most of my clients have been referrals from other clients. I get enough business from referrals that I don't need to advertise anymore. 

Plus, some of the people who you watch their dogs for free will feel weird not paying you if they know you are doing as a side job 

The only people I don't ever charge are family members. Incredibly close friends get a discount but most I charge my regular rates. These particular friends I offered to do it for free because it was the unexpected death of a young relative and their dog has serious issues so I knew they'd have trouble finding a sitter. Under the circumstances I didn't want to cause any additional stress, since they also have to travel across the country unexpectedly. But still they chose to pay me.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, saraha said:

I am new to these posts, but want to join in!

This month we have done pretty well on all budgets except our eat out. I was pretty sick this month and there were a few nights of Little Ceasers. I love their $5 pizzas!

My husband fixed our dishwasher (again, I am pretty sure the only original part left on it is the shell) saving us $250 for a repair call.

We were going to have company over for the first time in a long time, so wanted to spruce up a little. I cleaned the bathroom, then moved a picture in their from another room and soaked the label off of the hand soap pump we have been using for years. Just the act of soaking off the label and having a clear bottle there made it look nicer. Dumb I know, but it felt nice anyway.

Keeping up the menu planning and other frugalness that happens around here.

One hit we are taking is that I quit my part time job and we left our church. I just couldn't keep working for my boss anymore. My husband was totally on board and as my notice is winding down, he has set up an ebay account and an amazon account so that I can start selling online. Hopefully after some trial and error, I can make a little money at it! Our local library just called me today to say they had a bunch of books donated and did I want to come go through them to see if I want to sell any online! Yay!

Our menu this week, as it is the end of the month, involves using up lots of little bits in soup and casseroles. Not everyone's favorites, but a pattern they are used to. Trick or treat looks like a wash out this year, which means I have to provide dinner. Usually my husband takes them in town and one of the churches offers hot dogs and chips. I usually serve something for lunch loaded with veg and call it good, but this year I guess I'll be making the hot dogs!

I hope everyone has a successful month next month and that Christmas doesn't derail anyone's plans!

Good luck with the selling.  There are a lot of vlogs on youtube about people selling and how to do it.  Also what to sell.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Getting paying clients is pretty easy, just let the people you currently sit for that you are starting to do it for pay  and see if they'll spread the word if they know anyone is looking. Most of my clients have been referrals from other clients. I get enough business from referrals that I don't need to advertise anymore. 

Plus, some of the people who you watch their dogs for free will feel weird not paying you if they know you are doing as a side job 

The only people I don't ever charge are family members. Incredibly close friends get a discount but most I charge my regular rates. These particular friends I offered to do it for free because it was the unexpected death of a young relative and their dog has serious issues so I knew they'd have trouble finding a sitter. Under the circumstances I didn't want to cause any additional stress, since they also have to travel across the country unexpectedly. But still they chose to pay me.

Do you think doing it through Rover is a better way to go?  More protection for the sitter? 

I made a big Amazon order.  Some of it was for my kids' Christmas, my sister's 50th birthday, and my foo foo coffee and vitamins.  Some of it was underwear that my kid keeps asking for (it's only been like 4 years since I bought her some).  But most of it was for Operation Christmas Child.  I bought goodies for 50 boys and 50 girls.  Several small toys, socks, toothbrushes, and school supplies.  As some of the items come in quantities of 12 or 72 or whatever, I will have some left over for the school's "Candy Cane Shop."

New expenses coming up.  1 Cheerleading outfit ~70 and 1 gymnastics performance outfit ~40.  These are one-time expenses, assuming no growth spurt.

Other than that, things are pretty quiet around here.  I do need to find out what outrageous things my kids will want for Christmas and for the birthday immediately following.

Oh, and I may need to buy Miss Bigfoot some winter boots.  ?

Edited by SKL

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you think doing it through Rover is a better way to go?  More protection for the sitter? 

Well they take a 20% cut of your pay, which can be quite a bit. Plus, you still need to buy your own insurance because I don't believe their insurance covers if you as the sitter gets hurt, or if you board a dog in your house and they destroy something/something happens. But I'm not positive on that. I'd also be inclined to believe that in financial disputes they'd be more likely to side with the animal owner because if needing to please their customers. That is my experience with other services set up that way. Also, competition can be a lot stiffer on those apps as opposed to advertising in a different manner.

It wouldn't be a bad way to get used to the way things run. But at a 20% lose of rates I wouldn't want to do it. Finding pet sitting clients on your own can be really easy with free or cheap advertising.

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

Well they take a 20% cut of your pay, which can be quite a bit. Plus, you still need to buy your own insurance because I don't believe their insurance covers if you as the sitter gets hurt, or if you board a dog in your house and they destroy something/something happens. But I'm not positive on that. I'd also be inclined to believe that in financial disputes they'd be more likely to side with the animal owner because if needing to please their customers. That is my experience with other services set up that way. Also, competition can be a lot stiffer on those apps as opposed to advertising in a different manner.

It wouldn't be a bad way to get used to the way things run. But at a 20% lose of rates I wouldn't want to do it. Finding pet sitting clients on your own can be really easy with free or cheap advertising.

What kind of insurance do you buy on your own to do that? 

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

What kind of insurance do you buy on your own to do that? 

To protect yourself from injuries you can purchase workman's comp insurance. I choose not to do it because I don't pet sit for a  living and my regular medical insurance will cover injuries. It just won't cover lost income. 

Additionally, I wouldn't trust a middleman to fight for any issues that come up if a claim has to be filed. I'd feel more secure carrying my own pet sitter's insurance instead of having Rover handle that.

19 hours ago, hjffkj said:

To protect yourself from injuries you can purchase workman's comp insurance. I choose not to do it because I don't pet sit for a  living and my regular medical insurance will cover injuries. It just won't cover lost income. 

Additionally, I wouldn't trust a middleman to fight for any issues that come up if a claim has to be filed. I'd feel more secure carrying my own pet sitter's insurance instead of having Rover handle that.

Do you get that from your normal home insurance company? 

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you get that from your normal home insurance company? 

No, not from them. There are companies that specifically handle pet sitter's insurance. To be insured and bonded costs under $300/year if I recall correctly. It is on auto pay so I can't remember off the top of my head.

• Like 1

We walked through the house we wanted to put an offer on before hearing about all the issues again today. And I think we are moving forward with it. We're going to talk to our lender about an fha203k loan as the house needs roughly 50k of work. We'll likely make a 120k to 130k offer and hope they realize the extent of the work that needs to be done and that most people won't want to touch the house. So, we'll see how that all goes.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, hjffkj said:

We walked through the house we wanted to put an offer on before hearing about all the issues again today. And I think we are moving forward with it. We're going to talk to our lender about an fha203k loan as the house needs roughly 50k of work. We'll likely make a 120k to 130k offer and hope they realize the extent of the work that needs to be done and that most people won't want to touch the house. So, we'll see how that all goes.

Wow.  Fingers crossed for you. 

• Like 1