Menu

Strep and cleaning bite guard

Rachel

I recently got a bite guard due to grinding my teeth in my sleep and now I think I have strep. I know the advice is generally to throw away toothbrushes after strep, but my bite guard isn’t disposable. 

How do I clean it? I was told not to use bleach, alcohol, or peroxide based products. I usually brush my guard with kids toothpaste but I doubt that kills strep germs if I do in fact have strep. Even if I don’t have strep, I have something going on and don’t want to reinfect myself later. 

Call the dentist and ask them. They may be willing to send it through one of their disinfectant baths or something. I don't know, I made that up. But, I do think that your dentist's office has probably dealt with this before and would know how to direct you.

• Like 1

I agree with calling the dentist.  But I do know my kid's retainer can be brushed with Dawn dish soap.  Whatever you do, don't heat it, lol!  We were at the orthodontist once and a woman was having a new retainer made because she put her former one in boiling water to disinfect it which of course ruined it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

I agree with calling the dentist.  But I do know my kid's retainer can be brushed with Dawn dish soap.  Whatever you do, don't heat it, lol!  We were at the orthodontist once and a woman was having a new retainer made because she put her former one in boiling water to disinfect it which of course ruined it.  

The plan is to call the dentist this morning.

I have to soak mine in hot water before I put it in every night to get a proper fit, it’s such a pain! They told me to use coffee hot water, but I’m always nervous I’ll get the water too hot.

can you boil it?   what is the reason for not using alcohol?  (something frequently used to sterilize equipment  - but it would have to be thoroughly cleaned before you could use it as the alcohol could make you ill.)

I would want something I know would kill any strep germs, and I doubt that is a regular cleaner of any kind.

• Like 1

I have just used dish soap with hot (not boiling) water, followed by Listerine Zero, followed by a good rinse in cold water.

ETA: to answer the others' question--boiling would have ruined my appliance. It would have deformed.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

can you boil it?   what is the reason for not using alcohol?  (something frequently used to sterilize equipment  - but it would have to be thoroughly cleaned before you could use it as the alcohol could make you ill.)

I would want something I know would kill any strep germs, and I doubt that is a regular cleaner of any kind.

I’m not sure why you can’t use alcohol, I assume it must degrade the plastic over time. 

The dental assistant I spoke with said to use antibacterial soap. I’ll have to make sure I rinse well, I don’t want to taste the soap!

On 9/30/2018 at 9:27 PM, happi duck said:

It might be good to keep disposable guards on hand for times you're sick.  I like Plackers Grind No More.

They are great and available on Amazon. Considerably more comfortable than my very expensive custom guard!