Menu

What's with the ads?

HollyDay

Christmas shopping?

For the first time EVER, I've not already started Christmas shopping.  Usually, I start in July.  I get one or 2 things a paycheck and put them away.  I've ALWAYS had a detailed list by the time school starts.  I have NO list whatsoever.

And I have no idea why not. 

Anybody else having troubles?

I never am able to start shopping early.

My kids birthdays are September, October, November and December.  In addition, most years, DH and I have hosted Thanksgiving.  SO early Christmas shopping just DOESN'T happen.  I am too busy handling birthday crap.

• Like 3

Are you over stuff? When my children were little, they were excited about presents and that was a lot of my focus. Now, we are all sick of “stuff” and we have switched to focusing on experiences and time together.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Are you over stuff? When my children were little, they were excited about presents and that was a lot of my focus. Now, we are all sick of “stuff” and we have switched to focusing on experiences and time together.

You know, I think this might be it.  Every year Christmas has been a big deal in our home.  Lots of everything....food, gifts, decorations, music.  Even when money has been tight, we still made homemade gifts to give one another and friends, cookies,etc. 

But, this year, oldest dd is 22 and away at college. She wants different things.  She has asked for a printer for her room, help paying for her class ring (which is way more expensive than I expected it to be), makeup.  She is not asking for the "usual" books, games, etc.

Youngest birthday is next week and she has asked for a couple movies, a few books, a hoodie.  Again, nothing like in years past.  They are growing up.  Their interests are much more "stable" now.  They are not outgrowing the things they are interested in like they did when they were younger.  The times of Playmobile and Barbie are gone.  What they liked last year is pretty much what they like this year. 

I have more decorations than I could ever want.  Almost 30 years of marriage and adding an ornament or nutcracker every year has added up to a festive home.

We are all gluten free this year which is new.  I'm not planning on baking like I usually do. 

But, I still want to have gifts for dh and dc. 

• Like 1

We only do one big collective gift and then stockings, so that really cuts down on the list. I haven't bought anything yet, but my ideas are:

Big gift: Step2 Extreme Roller Coaster (we'll keep it in our playroom)

In the stocking for the almost 5yo DD: Spotit, Uno, Old Maid, Tannagrams, glowsticks, a light up Christmas bulb necklace 

Stocking for the 21 month DD: Melissa and Doug pull back cars, Melissa and Doug ice cream set, glowsticks, Christmas necklace 

I'm thinking lottery tickets for both of us. Maybe a new iphone for me (the XR?). Apple airpods for DH and maybe something else to compensate for my new phone.  Then miscellaneous treats (cashew brittle, pecan delights, peppermint bark). 

• Like 1

I usually start in October, but this year I have a feeling it will be November.  I'm thinking of doing a simpler year this year... we'll see.  We've kind of changed things around though over the years, so my kids (who are all young adults now) have no specific expectations -- that makes it easier!

This is the first year I've started before November/December! I guess I had a couple of babies in the fall and got in the habit worrying about Christmas after all the baby stuff. And I have to work around those fall birthdays as I plan Christmas; sometimes it's easier to get through one gift occasion at a time. But I feel so on top of things this year! 

I'm at a loss at what to get the oldest this year.  He's that inbetween age: not an adult, not a kid, not a lot of room for *things*, and not out on his own so no use of stuff for that.

Oh don't talk with me, lol. I finished my mother and brother in one fell swoop on my trip to Florida. I got them a canopy for the beach and some chairs, boom. Got my stepfather a snazzy wreath and lightup pumpkins so he can be festive when it's 95 out, hahaha.

I always have to deal with ds' b-day before I can tackle Christmas. It's in October. Once I do that, then I transition. But we don't buy a lot of presents for people, really. Huge extended families, but neither side does gifts. Makes it kind of boring but easy. Remember, you can always post your hardest person and get ideas! I love the gift ideas threads, hehe. This year with have the BOYFRIEND thing to deal with, woo-woo... Not sure what I'll do there. For dd, I'll probably just start buying her dishes and then give her something personal. She's really maxed out in her dorm room anyway.

the boys are college students - they want money.  which is boring.

I ordered my first item last night, and have an idea about another.   I too have usually started by now. I have one with an oct. birthday, and another with a nov. birthday. .. . then I just did baby.. .

For the first time ever, I am really dreading Christmas shopping. We fly to my parents house for Christmas and then have to get everything back. Plus this year we may be moving around the first of the year, so I don’t want to get a bunch of extra stuff. My kids already have enough. But, my kids have already started making lists, so we will see what happens. They still have things they want. My 6yr old wants more stuffed animals even though he probably has 100

22 minutes ago, lovinmyboys said:

For the first time ever, I am really dreading Christmas shopping. We fly to my parents house for Christmas and then have to get everything back. Plus this year we may be moving around the first of the year, so I don’t want to get a bunch of extra stuff. My kids already have enough. But, my kids have already started making lists, so we will see what happens. They still have things they want. My 6yr old wants more stuffed animals even though he probably has 100

Sounds like a year to have a trip or an event or something and then just do little stuff.

• Like 3

I have a few ideas and have started a list but money is the big issue.   I think some in our extended family might be a little disappointed this year but it is what it is.  

I love giving gifts.  

I'm bored of the stress of it and having more stuff. We are doing one present for all of us that will replace something we already own and then stockings. I don't buy much for extended family so I'm taking the opportunity to keep it simple. 

• Like 3

Haven’t started, and frankly - haven’t a clue what to give anyone.

I’ve got a DS 14, a DD 7, and a 77 yr old mom that have me stumped.

DH and DS 26 are easy(ish).

...and then we have 4,000 extended family members for while I must find *something*.  Any ideas for mass producing homemade gifts that are on the high end side of homemade gifting but don’t require sewing or yarn?!  Aaaah, the yearly agony.

Looking forward to New Year’s!

I really don’t know what to do this year. Boys are 20,18, and 15 and want nothing. They aren’t even into a lot of special snack foods or treats. Last year I went all out and really they didn’t like half the stuff I got them. They aren’t rude about it but it is a waste just so I can have that feeling of having gifts to open. I cannot think of even one item for each boy.

My 10yo dd has interests but is very particular. She sews and crafts but would want to choose her own materials. She has her own ideas about clothes and even hair accessories. 

I guess we are getting to doing cash only? I don’t know. That is way outside my comfort zone and family culture. We could take a short trip while college kids are home on break. We might do that but again I need to get okay without stuff to open under the tree. 

In the past I have bought things just to satisfy that need for myself even though it didn’t mean much to the kids. I’m trying hard not to do that this year. Such a waste of money when we have other boring needs.

28 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I really don’t know what to do this year. Boys are 20,18, and 15 and want nothing. They aren’t even into a lot of special snack foods or treats. Last year I went all out and really they didn’t like half the stuff I got them. They aren’t rude about it but it is a waste just so I can have that feeling of having gifts to open. I cannot think of even one item for each boy.

My 10yo dd has interests but is very particular. She sews and crafts but would want to choose her own materials. She has her own ideas about clothes and even hair accessories. 

I guess we are getting to doing cash only? I don’t know. That is way outside my comfort zone and family culture. We could take a short trip while college kids are home on break. We might do that but again I need to get okay without stuff to open under the tree. 

In the past I have bought things just to satisfy that need for myself even though it didn’t mean much to the kids. I’m trying hard not to do that this year. Such a waste of money when we have other boring needs.

This is totally me! I agonize over every little gift and then it mostly doesn't matter.

I have been thinking about Christmas this year and am trying really hard to make myself be OK with cash or gift cards for everyone. I don't know why I find it so difficult to go that route when the past couple of years have been like teachermom described? I need to let go of the expectations that I have, I guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

...and then we have 4,000 extended family members for while I must find *something*.  Any ideas for mass producing homemade gifts that are on the high end side of homemade gifting but don’t require sewing or yarn?!

Blurb sends out a lot of 40% of coupons this time of year. I did a book of poetry my FIL loved one year and interspersed family photos to show why the poems had meant something to him. They all seemed to love it.

• Like 1

I have started, but I haven't figured it all out yet. When I go visit my in-laws at Thanksgiving I'm going to look to see if they have a cover for the bbq grill (our old grill we gave them lol). If not, that is one gift idea for FIL. It'd be a good time to get measurements. I scroll through the Wish app sometimes and get ideas lol. Those items take several weeks to arrive so you have to shop early. I just used them for the first time about a month ago.

A few people on my list already got clothes (I bought at good prices). 

Each year, I've expanded my dependency on Amazon Wish Lists, and accumulating items in my "Save for Later" Cart. 

If you need more structure, http://christmas.organizedhome.com/

This same website has a 101 Day countdown, with small tasks for each day.  http://101daystochristmas.com/

I've become VERY creative at wrapping up cash--if you tie it to a fun item from the $1 Store (or food), it becomes an welcome option both for the giver & (cash-strapped) receiver!

• Thanks 2

For our oldest daughter, we will make a payment of her student loan. She has enough stuff and really doesn’t need more. I’m sure she would welcome a new designer purse or an expensive pair of shoes. In the past, she has received this and more but we’ve seen the light:) Our youngest daughter and husband live in Japan. I’m heading over there Wednesday and will bring them their gifts, Amazon gift cards. Hubby has a wish list and I’ll pick from there. I want an immersion blender. How many days until Christmas?

We do the same things year after year at this point - video games, clothes, gift cards, maybe some craft supplies. Done.

It's boring, but it's what the kids want.

So far I have ideas for stocking stuffers but not main gifts.  Except for dh.  A comedian he likes will be performing locally next spring.  Tickets go on sale before Christmas.  I could get him a pair of tickets, but I do not want to attend the show.  I am not sure how dh would react if I asked him to take a friend instead of me.  

16 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I want to get one of my kids a laminator. Is that something I might find on deep discount on Black Friday? 

On some years, yes.... here's the camelcamelcamel graph of prices: https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Thermal-Laminator-Roller-TL901C/dp/B0010JEJPC/ref=sr_1_10?s=office-electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538491249&sr=1-10&keywords=laminator

We ended up getting ours on sale during a time when someone here on WTM mentioned it, but it was not tied to Black Friday.  Honestly, I'd set the price alert now....it seems like last year a lot of the good sales were quick 1-2 algorithm based sales that happened in October and November before Black Friday.

• Like 1

Oldest dd just sent me her Amazon wishlist.  She wants bluetooth headset for her phone.  And "over the ears" style headset for her computer.  She is the one that wants the printer, so it will be a list for dh.....

We do mostly the same things each year but always wait to shop because we have all fall birthdays.  So PJs, Munchkin legends expansion packs, lego set, craft kit and a book each.

• Like 1

I’m doing something different this year.   I have ds17, ds’ gf17, niece3, nephew18, parents/inlaws, and dh to buy for.  

For ds17 and gf17, they’re each getting a stocking with money.  Obviously ds will get more money, but that’s what they’re getting.   I’m pretty much finished with their stockings, except I’ll probably get a car jumper cable charger thingy for ds also.   For ds’ stocking, he gets candy, jerky, matching (to gf) T-shirt, outdoor/camping stuff, funny boxers, mind bender game, plus car thingy, and money and maybe a gift card or two.  For gf, she’ll get matching T-shirt, hair ties, lip gloss, crafts stuff, mind bender game, unicorn socks, coloring book, and candy and money.

niece3 gets toys (finished with her), nephew18 gets gift card or money.  

Parents/inlaws are each getting gift cards to the movies, plus a restaurant they each like.   

Dh: this is the first year in forever that dh and I will do gifts, so I’m excited!  I haven’t shopped for him yet, though.  

• Like 2

On 10/1/2018 at 4:25 PM, Sherry in OH said:

So far I have ideas for stocking stuffers but not main gifts.  Except for dh.  A comedian he likes will be performing locally next spring.  Tickets go on sale before Christmas.  I could get him a pair of tickets, but I do not want to attend the show.  I am not sure how dh would react if I asked him to take a friend instead of me.  

Ds went to see a comedian with dh a few times.  Not my kind of humor and dh knows it.  

Everyone's grown here now, tho dd just started college and is living at home.  Don't know that I can keep up with a bunch of ideas for everyone this year.  Time to simplify.  I tried theme gifts- games last year.  Not sure they were a hit; dad's made it back to my house.  And we're really game people!

Thinking of one of those fold-up wagons for ds and his wife who have a one year old.  Anyone know if those with little kids like these ones versus a regular wagon?

Need to get brainstorming on their stockings as that's what they really still love finding full.

Edited by Tina