Menu

One of those online coincidences that probably isn't...

RootAnn

So, one of my DDs asked if I could find her an extra charging cord because the cat chewed through hers. We don't currently have an extra, so I told her I'd order her one. I went onto Amazon, looked around, and ordered one. A couple of hours later, I found an email sent soon after that looked like it was from Amazon suggesting a different set of charging cords.

Here's the thing:  My amazon account is set to one email account and the "suggestion" email went to a completely different account not at all associated with my amazon account. I have never gotten an email like this from Amazon before - on any of my email accounts!

We don't have a listening device, er, I mean, a 'smart personal assistant device' like an Echo. But, we do have a Fire & a couple of Android devices. It just seems like a very strange coincidence. Perhaps psychic phenomena?

clip.JPG

looking at that address, I'm not sure it's actually from amazon.

spoof emails used to do that all the time - they'd cover up the address it was really coming from, to make it look like it was coming from a legit company. 

eta: or a third party seller.  I used to get spoofs of ebay and paypal all. the. time.

Edited by gardenmom5

33 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

looking at that address, I'm not sure it's actually from amazon.

spoof emails used to do that all the time - they'd cover up the address it was really coming from, to make it look like it was coming from a legit company. 

eta: or a third party seller.  I used to get spoofs of ebay and paypal all. the. time.

I agree that it doesn't look like the email is actually from Amazon. I have several email addresses that I use for different purposes and I've never received anything from Amazon at any address except the one I have on file.

The thing I'd worry/wonder is, whether it's a scam or a legitimate third party seller, how did they gain access to your browsing or order history.

47 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

That's weird!!  But at this point I think they're omniscient and probably know all of our emails and everything else about us. We are getting a new neighbor and he managed, just by knowing my dh's name, to contact dh through text to dh's cell phone and his work email too. I googled us both shortly after and almost died. Every single email address we both have, every single address we've ever lived at, parents names,  and even what vehicle dh previously drove was right there on Google on the first search link I clicked. And we've never even been on social media!!! I spent yesterday afternoon working through this: 

https://medium.com/@tamaragane/how-to-remove-your-information-from-sites-like-mylife-77f89aff1aff

We'll see if it works......after too many uncanny suggestions, a friend of mine and her dh who both have iPhones, started talking about Maseratis with their phones present,  as a test (because that's something they would never normally talk about). They swear that after about four days, Maserati popped up on their Google ads without them every typing or searching a thing about it online........(insert paranoid emoji here)

Good Grief! I have to follow this link and "clean us up." I used to do this periodically but haven't in a while and it was a different website. Like you, I do not trust anyone or anything anymore. But cell phones and vehicles???

ETA: How long will it be before they start over again. This does make me so upset. When people work in LE or anywhere where their lives intersect with law enforcement, this is the last thing they need.

Edited by Liz CA