Menu

Editing as a profession - anyone do this?

Familia

Editing makes me giddy.  I also like to look for consistencies in data, etc, but I am somewhat inefficient (aka slow), so I would never work in a lab where lives depended on my fast exact count!

My BS is in Dietetics.  No longer registered or want to work in that field.  I do not like to work with people as much as information.  That comment reminds me about a post where I asked about being a private tutor.  I was successful with my children, but not really sure if I have the personality to appeal to others' children.  Haha, I am friendly and personable, just not 'Kindergarten Teacher' material!  Plus I live out in the country.  Way out.

So, if you edit for a living:  how do you find your editing jobs?  Are there companies that hire at-home workers and give regular editing tasks?  What type of educational background or professional training would be necessary to be qualified?  A Master's of some sort?  A different Bachelor's?

I am looking for part-time reputable at-home work, no benefits, not even regular necessarily, but I do not want to google, 'editing jobs' each time I want a new gig.  I am looking to make just a little extra income in the future, and I am willing to gain some education/credentials to make me marketable, employable, and confident/skilled in editing or proofreading jobs.  

TIA for thoughts and experience sharing!

You might look at Upwork for freelance work too. I edited self-published book manuscripts for a company based in Chicago for four years (until last spring). They did require a related BA or master's degree. (I can't remember which.) I have a BA in English, BA in communications, and MS in communications.

If you go through a bid-based site, you might see if you can bid low for clients without a large income (like college students needing a proofreader for a paper). Maybe you could build a good rating (and increase your rates) in that way.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

If you go through a bid-based site, you might see if you can bid low for clients without a large income (like college students needing a proofreader for a paper). Maybe you could build a good rating (and increase your rates) in that way.

Right. From what I understand, you don’t make a whole lot of income until you build a good rating and history. At that point I’m not sure it really matters about education level, people don’t care as long as youre consistently providing a good product. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

Really appreciate this info.  DS was a bit skeptical recommending bid-based sites to me due to their critical reviews.  It is that way with everything, though.  A stint on one of those sites would give me a feel for editing.

It would be wonderful to have regular part-time work, like for a publisher...but I freely admit that I have no idea what I am talking about.

Another wordy job is doing transcription or writing subtitles. Our older daughter just did her first subtitle project for the company Rev, and it seems to get some good reviews. It doesn't pay tons, but it might bring in some extra money and be something you enjoy.

https://www.rev.com/freelancers

https://theworkathomewife.com/rev-com-review/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My ds does this on the side.  For now, he does it by word of mouth.  He happens to know some casual writers looking to publish, and they've gotten to know him as someone who has a good eye for editing.  So, mostly friends or friends of friends.

• Thanks 1