Menu

S/O Walking shoes...boots? (includes puppy picture)

MorningGlory

I am looking for a pair of comfortable, water-resistant boots to wear walking around our property (large lawn, woods, meadow). We recently acquired a mini Australian shepherd, and I am enjoying helping him get lots of exercise. Which he needs. Lots. ?

I have a pair of the traditional LL Bean short boots, but while they are great for some things, they aren't that comfortable for extensive walking because they have very little support. Maybe I should just get some inserts for those boots...

Any suggestions? 

Oliver.thumb.JPG.53fcac6b7305f696b816a188b737aa28.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.blundstone.com.au/adult-boots

this is the kind of thing we all have.  It’s an Australian thing but maybe you have something similar.

Those are beautiful! They look too nice to be "rubber boots." 

For the OP, it depends on your temps and what you mean by "water resistant." Most boots labelled this are only water resistant temporarily. You have to keep applying either a chemical spray or if they're leather you have to regularly maintain them polish and use TLC.  Bogs might work if you're not in too hot a climate. The thing with rubber is your feet can sweat and you get wet from the inside no matter what's going on outside. 

Another trick in tall grass or rain is to use gaiters to protect the tops of your boots and lower legs from wetness (they are the same as cross-country skiers sometimes use).

ETA: Yes, you NEED support for your feet or you will pay the price eventually. I would look at boots with good support rather than inserts as they will last longer. Though you could do a combination to find the best solution for your feet.

Outdoor Waterproof Gaiters Breathable Snow Gaiters Mothproof Mountaineering Gaiters(Blue+green)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Altra has a water resistant ankle high boot (Lone Peak Neo Mid— is part of their name). I have the non-boot version and find them excellent for walking.  They are good enough water resistance for most of what the Pacific North West has, but not like a full rubber boot for immersion in creek.  They have Running shoe type Support. And excellent treads. The water resistance is from a water resistant membrane along the the lines of Goretex, I think.  (They also come in a mesh version to be cool for hot conditions , so if looking find the ones with the “neoshell” membrane.) 

I may look at gaiters as shown in a post above to go with my low Lone Peak Neos to give water resistance higher up. Altra has its own gaiters and the shoes have gaiter attachment points to go with the Altra gaiters. 

Below  is an example from Amazon, but I would buy direct from Altra or a local running store or REI if you have one with the shoes there to try  on    I ended up getting men’s because they felt better on my wide feet  

Lone Peak 3 Mid Neo Running Shoes - Women's

•  

Edited by Pen
Pictures
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for these ideas! We live in the mid-south with wet winters but not excessively cold temps. Going shopping this week! I think I can probably find both the Altra and Ariat locally so that I can test them out. 

(And @Selkie, have you had personal experience with Aussies? If so, I may beg to pm you at times. We have only ever had big, bumbly, "whatever you say, ma'am" labs, so this little spitfire is a totally different personality. We knew that going into it, but he has been a bit of a challenge. He walked into the house the first day saying "I own this place!" ?)

Edited by MorningGlory