Menu

News: Kids as young as 7 are finding ingenious ways around Apple's screen time controls

Arcadia

From Business Insider https://www.businessinsider.com/kids-finding-ways-around-apple-screen-time-controls-2018-9

“"When iOS 12 came out I limited my 7-year old son's screen time through the family share. For a few days I felt like he was playing a bit more than he should, but I couldn't figure out why," u/PropellerGuy said. 

"Finally today, my son revealed his hack: When he runs out of screen time and his games get locked, he heads to App Store, downloads a previously installed (but later removed) game through the cloud icon, and it works without limitations!" 

"What can I say," they added. "I'm not even mad. That's impressive." 

Another parent asked Apple's support forum how to get a step ahead of their teenage son, who had reset his phone's time and date to trick "screen time." 

"I was so excited to turn on the screen time restrictions in the new iOS. Until my 13 year old found a work around within 2 minutes of handing his phone back to him during 'down time' — he went to settings and changed the date/time of his phone to an unrestricted time and voila! Free screentime again."”

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

From Business Insider https://www.businessinsider.com/kids-finding-ways-around-apple-screen-time-controls-2018-9

“"When iOS 12 came out I limited my 7-year old son's screen time through the family share. For a few days I felt like he was playing a bit more than he should, but I couldn't figure out why," u/PropellerGuy said. 

"Finally today, my son revealed his hack: When he runs out of screen time and his games get locked, he heads to App Store, downloads a previously installed (but later removed) game through the cloud icon, and it works without limitations!" 

"What can I say," they added. "I'm not even mad. That's impressive." 

Another parent asked Apple's support forum how to get a step ahead of their teenage son, who had reset his phone's time and date to trick "screen time." 

"I was so excited to turn on the screen time restrictions in the new iOS. Until my 13 year old found a work around within 2 minutes of handing his phone back to him during 'down time' — he went to settings and changed the date/time of his phone to an unrestricted time and voila! Free screentime again."”

I would never think I could depend on technology to limit technology.  LOL....I went the old fashioned route and took it out of his hands and kept it with me when I didn't want him on his phone.

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s an app, os, or monitoring service that can keep out a driven screenager. It will ultimately have to come from either 1) internalized limits/self control, or 2) parental oversight (which might include taking it away entirely).  And sometimes #2 is the only way even though #1 is the goal.  It’s such a monsterous mess of helpful and harmful that I wish we would all just ban them until their brains matured.

Yep my dd figured quickly that although she couldn’t open it the normal way voice control still worked.  

That said I use it more to remind me to monitor screen use (as its linked to my phone and I can see the usage) than as something to rely on.  It’s still better than nothing but the best solution is putting them away for a while.