Jump to content

Menu

What should I do?


Elizabeth86
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok, I will try to make this long story as short as I can.  In July, I discovered a little bug in our bed.  My internet research turned up that we had bed bugs.  I researched some companies and found one with great reviews and hired them to exterminate our bed bugs.  The guys comes out, says it's in one room, tiny infestation, shouldn't be a big problem.  Will I did TONS of research on bed bugs before and during this time.  Anyway, I have mentioned to exactly 4 different people at the company that I was concerned they could be bat bugs instead of bed bugs because we have heard bats in the eaves of our house over the years and found a dead oneoutside our house this summer. Bat bugs basically look just like bed bugs, but can only be identified through a microscope because the hairs around their eyes are different.  If the bat host leaves, they often move into where humans live.  So, I spent almost $700 on the initial treatment and then it's $125 on weekly sprays until there were no more signs of them . We have spent over $1500 because I keep finding more.  Well the company "cleared" us saying they thought they were all gone.  I found a live one in my kitchen last week.  I called and lost it on the owner because I felt like they must have been doing a terrible job considering we had been at this since July and they STILL weren't gone.  I knew they weren't gone because we kept getting bites and the company just kept telling me it was mosquitos or dust mites or whatever they could dream up.  I had 4 people at the company look at my bug in the Ziploc bag and they all 4 assured me THEY could tell the difference between a bat bug and a bed bug and that I couldn't believe everything I read on the internet.  THEN I took my little friend down to the county extension office and the Virginia Tech insect identification lab positively identified with a microscope that we have BAT bugs NOT bed bugs.  I called the exterminator to tell him  the news and he will not return my calls. What should I do?  What should I expect? I feel they owe me a refund of some sort. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Ok, I will try to make this long story as short as I can.  In July, I discovered a little bug in our bed.  My internet research turned up that we had bed bugs.  I researched some companies and found one with great reviews and hired them to exterminate our bed bugs.  The guys comes out, says it's in one room, tiny infestation, shouldn't be a big problem.  Will I did TONS of research on bed bugs before and during this time.  Anyway, I have mentioned to exactly 4 different people at the company that I was concerned they could be bat bugs instead of bed bugs because we have heard bats in the eaves of our house over the years and found a dead oneoutside our house this summer. Bat bugs basically look just like bed bugs, but can only be identified through a microscope because the hairs around their eyes are different.  If the bat host leaves, they often move into where humans live.  So, I spent almost $700 on the initial treatment and then it's $125 on weekly sprays until there were no more signs of them . We have spent over $1500 because I keep finding more.  Well the company "cleared" us saying they thought they were all gone.  I found a live one in my kitchen last week.  I called and lost it on the owner because I felt like they must have been doing a terrible job considering we had been at this since July and they STILL weren't gone.  I knew they weren't gone because we kept getting bites and the company just kept telling me it was mosquitos or dust mites or whatever they could dream up.  I had 4 people at the company look at my bug in the Ziploc bag and they all 4 assured me THEY could tell the difference between a bat bug and a bed bug and that I couldn't believe everything I read on the internet.  THEN I took my little friend down to the county extension office and the Virginia Tech insect identification lab positively identified with a microscope that we have BAT bugs NOT bed bugs.  I called the exterminator to tell him  the news and he will not return my calls. What should I do?  What should I expect? I feel they owe me a refund of some sort. 

Wow, that is crazy!  I have never heard of bat bugs.  Wow.  First though how do you get rid of bat bugs? I think part of my answer depends on that.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lodge a complaint with the BBB - and call your local new station people helper.   it would be an "interest" story- that there even is such a thing as bat bugs, and that they require different treatment than bed bugs.

eta: are all the bats gone? you want to get rid of them/prevent them from coming back.

 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Wow, that is crazy!  I have never heard of bat bugs.  Wow.  First though how do you get rid of bat bugs? I think part of my answer depends on that.   

Well, as far as I understand the stuff they sprayed for bed bugs will kill them, but if they are in my attic, chimny, walls or wherever and they don't  cross the residual chemicals they will still be there.  If bats are all gone I understand they won't  reproduce, but can remain alive for up to possibly 18 months. So, if we have bats they must be removed or the bat bugs will continue to thrive.  If we don't  have them, I think the attic and walls and the areas they are in need to be treated with likely the same stuff they used on the "bed bugs" I hope that makes sense, I currently have 4 kids distracting me lol  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Well, as far as I understand the stuff they sprayed for bed bugs will kill them, but if they are in my attic, chimny, walls or wherever and they don't  cross the residual chemicals they will still be there.  If bats are all gone I understand they won't  reproduce, but can remain alive for up to possibly 18 months. So, if we have bats they must be removed or the bat bugs will continue to thrive.  If we don't  have them, I think the attic and walls and the areas they are in need to be treated with likely the same stuff they used on the "bed bugs" I hope that makes sense, I currently have 4 kids distracting me lol  

Ok, well that is good news I guess...but I would be furious that he has put you through this for 3 months.....Have you found someone to remove the bats?  That is step one.  Then lodge a complaint against the exterminator....he at the very least should not charge you one penny more to get rid of the bat bugs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Ok, well that is good news I guess...but I would be furious that he has put you through this for 3 months.....Have you found someone to remove the bats?  That is step one.  Then lodge a complaint against the exterminator....he at the very least should not charge you one penny more to get rid of the bat bugs.

Right, it's  definitely  not a big deal anymore.  Bed bugs are much harder to exterminate than bat bugs, but basically I was ripped off over $1500. They treated my house and exposed my kids to unecessary chemicala for months for a pest we didn't have and caused me so much stress and anxiety.  They basically called me crazy when I would call and tell them we were still getting bites.  4 different people looked at thw bugs and told me it was 100% NOT a bat bug even when I suggested they would need a microscope to know that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Right, it's  definitely  not a big deal anymore.  Bed bugs are much harder to exterminate than bat bugs, but basically I was ripped off over $1500. They treated my house and exposed my kids to unecessary chemicala for months for a pest we didn't have and caused me so much stress and anxiety.  They basically called me crazy when I would call and tell them we were still getting bites.  4 different people looked at thw bugs and told me it was 100% NOT a bat bug even when I suggested they would need a microscope to know that.

Right.  I was thinking about the unnecessary poison in your house too...ugh.  I might explore small claim's court.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How did you pay them? If you used a credit card, you might be able to go into a dispute through them to get the money back. You can also contact the better business bureau to see what your options are. Was there a contract? With a guarantee?

I'd go Yelp review them right now. If they're part of a national chain, I'd also tweet, but that's useless for small companies. However, if you have a neighborhood or city listserv, that's another possibility. Just go start trash talking them everywhere. They made a claim that was wrong, they said they can do something that they no one can do (identify the differences between these bugs), they didn't resolve your issues, they didn't live up to their promises.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Right, it's  definitely  not a big deal anymore.  Bed bugs are much harder to exterminate than bat bugs, but basically I was ripped off over $1500. They treated my house and exposed my kids to unecessary chemicala for months for a pest we didn't have and caused me so much stress and anxiety.  They basically called me crazy when I would call and tell them we were still getting bites.  4 different people looked at thw bugs and told me it was 100% NOT a bat bug even when I suggested they would need a microscope to know that.

If bed bugs are harder than bat bugs, they would be dead.  It's a different process, and they didn't do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...