Menu

Activity/EC/Work Resume Sample?

mirabillis

I'm reading about Activities resumes... thinking of starting this now as ds is a junior. To include ECs, awards, volunteer/paid work, etc.

Anyone care to share theirs (a scrubbed version)? I've really only seen one sample online and don't know what it should look like. PM me if you don't want to post publicly or point me somewhere online!

ETA: This is the sample one found in motherlode links: https://admissions.appstate.edu/sites/admissions.appstate.edu/files/yosefresume_0_0.pdf

Also if anyone just wants to share list of ideas to include in an Activities Resume... things I may be forgetting, tangential things, I'm all ears :D

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 2

Thank you for posting this question! Is the idea of a Activities Resume to create a document that can be submitted along with a transcript so that the transcript covers ONLY academics while the Activities Resume covers everything else? Is it better to have a separate Activities Resume as opposed to adding an additional page to a transcript documenting community service, awards, work experience, etc.?

I know you'll get some great answers and examples from other posters, but while you're waiting, I'll just use this opportunity to point you to the BRAND NEW pinned thread at the top of the College Board: "Going to College Motherlode".

It has SIX pages of links to past threads on tons of topics -- the collected wisdom of the Hive! (:D On the first page is a "table of contents" to know which page to scroll to for the topic of interest. Here are some linked past threads from page 2 that might help you right now:

Resumes: extracurriculars / activities; academics; student resume
What does an “activity resume” look like? — Dec 20 2016 = Daria
Can someone please explain to me how extracurriculars work on an application? (includes info on Common App’s “zee-mee” page)— Mar 25 2017, lewelma
Activities Resume questions — Nov 25 2017, dirty ethel rackham
Academics Resume (what is it/what does it include) — April 17 2018, AStableBeginning
What is the purpose of a resume on the college applications? — Oct 10 2017, lewelma

Happy researching! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 3

If the colleges he will be applying to use the Common App, then he will be using their format for ECs/Activities — he'll be typing (or cutting & pasting) into the provided boxes, which have very strict character limits. I think there were 10 possible slots (you don't have to use all of them), and they want you to list the activities in order of importance (to the student), and select the type of activity from pull-down menus. The categories include things like sports, music, clubs, volunteer work, paid job, etc.  There is also a space on the app for "Additional Information" where the student can elaborate a bit if some of the activities need more explanation than can be squeezed into 150 characters. But the student will still need to fill in the Activities section, so I would not just duplicate the whole list in the Additional Info section.

The best way to get an idea of what that looks like is to set up a dummy student account, and go through the application yourself. (Just use a disposable gmail account or something.) I found that extremely helpful and highly recommend it. It's also helpful to have when you set up your Counselor account, because you can use the dummy student account to practice on, and you can see how things look from both sides.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

How to Write Your Common App Activities List has good advice about this section, especially how to maximize the impact of the descriptions when you're limited to only 150 characters per activity, and it includes multiple examples:

• Editor of International Column, School Newspaper
    Responsible for brainstorming, revising, and supervising articles by other writers for my column.
  • Intern at Children’s Institute Otis Booth Campus
    Brainstormed ideas for after school programs for teens,created surveys,presented data to supervisor
  • Intern at Department of Cardiovascular Disease
    Organized patient diagnosis notes, sterilized tools for surgeries, assisted with x-ray analysis.
  • Worked as assistant at Ye-In Dental Clinic
    Helped with patient registration, sterilized tools for surgeries, assisted with surgical processes.
  • Speech and Debate
    Academic All-American Award, NFL Tournament Qualifier ('11, '12), Rupe Scholar, Stanford Invitational Semi-finalist, Harker Invitational Semi-finalist
  • Korean Compassion: Korean-to-English Letter Translator
    Translated letters sent by supporters to impoverished children in Asian and African countries.
  • Junior Researcher at Benetti Sport Inc.
    Conducted surveys to research youth interests, contributed ideas for future products.
  • Math Tutor at Sippican Elementary School
    Using card games and quizzes to simplify concepts, taught basic math skills to third graders.
  • School Tour Guide - International Guiding Staff
    I tour visitors around campus, while presenting school history, student activities, boarding life.
  • Global Partner for International Orientation
    I help new international students with registration and adjustment to the new school environment.

• Like 1

Corraleno - I thought those were your dc's activities and I thought oh my goodness, how can we compare?! LOL. Thank you for that link and info re: Common App, most useful!

Lori - Already read all those threads before I posted - that's where I got that sample I linked. Great thread! Thank you as always! I hope WTM is paying you... they sure ought to!

• Like 1

Many of the Common Application schools my D has applied to gave the option to upload a resume.  I debated about whether or not she should upload one since she had no information to list that wasn't already stated in the activities section.   

After doing a little research, I did have her create a one page resume that expanded on the activities she already listed.  

I had her modeled her resume after the resume my oldest had created with help from his college's career services: The one-page resume included her test scores and gpa, AP and other advanced classes she has taken, awards won, activies, and work experience.   

Edited by alewife
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alewife said:

I had her modeled her resume after the resume my oldest had created with help from his college's career services: The one-page resume included her test scores and gpa, AP and other advanced classes she has taken, awards won, activies, and work experience.   

care to share here or by pm what that looked like/how formatted? i'd love to see! ☺️

It's super helpful to have such a resume whether or not you ever send it to a college because it organizes all the activity and award information and serves as a valuable reference when it comes to filling out applications. I had a few formats for my 2016 daughter in the end, but initially I just had things organized by topic: academic (to include awards, class standing, etc), sports, music, community service. Within the categories, things were organized chronologically. Again, I did have to modify it to match the requirements of different schools/scholarship programs but it was so great to have this list to reference.

• Like 1

We just redid the resume for youngest. Her activities and interests looked scattershot when just listed, so we came up with three main categories and then grouped underneath them. 

Art and Design

• XYZ Design Program, date
  • Juried showcase, date
  • and so on

Environmental

• Selected for XYZ program
  • and so on

Her third category was Leadership and Volunteer Work. 

• Like 1

One of the schools my daughter is applying to requires an activities resumes for scholarships. This school has not full moved to the Common App so the student also has to fill that out. The Admissions rep we talked to said to be more detailed on the resume. DD is using it as an opportunity to break out activities which were lumped together on the Common App.