Menu

Poetry

Poetry is something that outside of my preschool-1st grade group has been missing from our studies...gasp..fainting emoji?.  I am very interested in adding it to our evening basket each day. I am looking for either a collection by poet that is uniform in book style or an anthology sorted by author. 

I have looked at Simple Charlotte Masons poetry books and I like them a lot except they seem a little pricey for a couple dozen poems...but I like the style.  I thought a larger anthology might have similar content, but at a price I can afford.  I know they are only 12 dollars, but that is per poet...I thought it may be the same price for more poems or for an anthology...kwim.

Do any of you ladies have a favorite anthology or series of poems by authors that you enjoy?

Brenda

I like the Poetry for Young People series, which is mostly by author (there are a few that are by topic).  They don't have any more poems than the SCM ones you mentioned, but they are illustrated, and I was able to get them used for an average of $5 with shipping.  If you have a decent library, they probably have them (our old system did).  I bought a bunch of anthologies at the same time, but we've mostly just used the Poetry for Young People ones.  Oh, we have used "A Child's Book of Poems", illustrated by Gyo Fujikawa, quite a bit as well - that's the only anthology we've used (we love her illustrations - have her fairy tales and nursery rhyme books as well).

I also really, really like T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".  It's not part of the previous series or anything, but along with Edward Lear, they are my favorite poems to read aloud - they are just so much fun to say.

• Thanks 1

We got a few books from the library, so we could explore a variety without investing a ton. For early/first exposure, I esp. went for poems/poets with a lot of whimsy, word play, and humor, or on topics of high interest to the child, as that made poetry so much fun and interesting -- rather than keeping poetry formal and opaque and at "arm's length".

Doctor Seuss has wonderful rhythms, word play, and vocabulary -- check out: If I Ran the Circus, The Sneetches, and, How The Grinch Stole Christmas -- fun and clever! And the Mother Goose book of nursery rhymes is a great starting point for rhymes.

Some poetry we enjoyed:

books
- Poetry Speaks to Children (Paschen) -- lots of fun favorites in this one
- Antarctic Antics (Sierra)
- The Dragons Are Singing Tonight (Prelutsky)
- Mirror, Mirror (Singer) -- and others by her; very cleverly, the poem in one direction is in the voice of one character, and read word-for-word backwards, becomes a new poem in the voice of a different character

individual poems
- poems by Edward Lear
- "The Jabberwocky" (Carroll) -- a huge favorite
- "The Walrus and the Carpenter"; "Father Williams"; "The Crocodile" (Carroll)
- poems by Ogden Nash
- Beastly Verse series
(board book series with fun illustrations: "Oliphaunt" by Tolkien; "Mouse in the Wainscoat" by Serraraillier; "Crocodile" by Carroll; "The Hippopotamus" by Nash; "Reason for the Pelican" by Ciardi; "The Caterpillar" by Rossetti)

these look fun
- Hip Hop Speaks to Children
- National Geographic Book of Nature Poetry

past threadswith ideas for title + "how to introduce poetry":
Poetry recommendations for 1st-3rd grade
Looking for a good poetry collection for 8yo and 6yo audience
Reading poetry to young ones
Poetry

ETA
I just noticed in your signature that you also have older children. When older, our DSs liked some of the more vivid/dark poems by classic poets:
- "The Raven" (Poe) -- spooky atmosphere / cryptic
- "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (Coleridge) -- undead sailor-zombies! (:D
- "Ozymandias" (Shelley)
- "Darkness" (Byron) -- apocalyptic end of the world

More contemporary/lighter:
- The Disappearing Alphabet; Opposites; The Pig in Spigot (Wilbur) -- clever/humorous riddle poems

And I also worked to keep interest by coupling a few classic poems with parodies or modern allusions, which actually works to provoke some fun discussion into the poem:

"Village Blacksmith" (Longfellow) -- Bullwinkle parody
"I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud" (Wordsworth) -- Bullwinkle parody
"Tyger" (Blake) -- coupled with this Calvin & Hobbes cartoon:

Calvin & Hobbes.gif

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Amateur Actress said:

I recommend "A Child's Garden of Verses" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Illustrated by Tasha Tudor.

I agree, I also like A Child’s Book of Poems by Gyo Fujikawa.

Our library has a pretty good selection of children’s poetry so I would definitely start there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forty-two said:

I like the Poetry for Young People series, which is mostly by author (there are a few that are by topic).  They don't have any more poems than the SCM ones you mentioned, but they are illustrated, and I was able to get them used for an average of $5 with shipping.  If you have a decent library, they probably have them (our old system did).  I bought a bunch of anthologies at the same time, but we've mostly just used the Poetry for Young People ones.  Oh, we have used "A Child's Book of Poems", illustrated by Gyo Fujikawa, quite a bit as well - that's the only anthology we've used (we love her illustrations - have her fairy tales and nursery rhyme books as well).

I also really, really like T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".  It's not part of the previous series or anything, but along with Edward Lear, they are my favorite poems to read aloud - they are just so much fun to say.

I love and have those three books as well and they are part of our littles reading period rotation.  I will look into the series...thank you.

Brenda

3 hours ago, Lori D. said:

We got a few books from the library, so we could explore a variety without investing a ton. For early/first exposure, I esp. went for poems/poets with a lot of whimsy, word play, and humor, or on topics of high interest to the child, as that made poetry so much fun and interesting -- rather than keeping poetry formal and opaque and at "arm's length".

Doctor Seuss has wonderful rhythms, word play, and vocabulary -- check out: If I Ran the Circus, The Sneetches, and, How The Grinch Stole Christmas -- fun and clever! And the Mother Goose book of nursery rhymes is a great starting point for rhymes.

Some poetry we enjoyed:

books
- Poetry Speaks to Children (Paschen) -- lots of fun favorites in this one
- Antarctic Antics (Sierra)
- The Dragons Are Singing Tonight (Prelutsky)
- The Disappearing Alphabet; Opposites; The Pig in Spigot (Wilbur) -- humorous riddle poems
- Mirror, Mirror (Singer) -- and others by her; very cleverly, the poem in one direction is in the voice of one character, and read word-for-word backwards, becomes a new poem in the voice of a different character

individual poems
- "Owl and the Pussycat" (Lear)
- "The Jabberwocky" (Carroll) -- a huge favorite
- "The Walrus and the Carpenter"; "Father Williams"; "The Crocodile" (Carroll)
- poems by Ogden Nash
- Beastly Verse series
(board book series with fun illustrations: "Oliphaunt" by Tolkien; "Mouse in the Wainscoat" by Serraraillier; "Crocodile" by Carroll; "The Hippopotamus" by Nash; "Reason for the Pelican" by Ciardi; "The Caterpillar" by Rossetti)

these look fun
- Hip Hop Speaks to Children
- National Geographic Book of Nature Poetry

past threadswith ideas for title + "how to introduce poetry":
Poetry recommendations for 1st-3rd grade
Looking for a good poetry collection for 8yo and 6yo audience
Reading poetry to young ones
Poetry

All of my children learn The Caterpillar by Rosetti...it is our family favorite!  Thank you for the ideas and links?.

Brenda

2 hours ago, Shelly said:

Some books we have enjoyed:

Poems to Learn by Heart by Caroline Kennedy

Favorite Poems Old and New by Helen Ferris

A Poke in the I: A Collection of Concrete Poems by Paul B. Janeczko

A Kick in the Head: An Everyday Guide to Poetic Forms by Paul B. Janeczko

Sensational! Poems Inspired by the Five Senses by Roger McGough

Thank you for all of the links...off to look at new books!

Brenda

2 hours ago, Amateur Actress said:

I recommend "A Child's Garden of Verses" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Illustrated by Tasha Tudor.

I have that one to..lol...it looks like I already do everyone's favorites with my littles??.  I love this book.  This one and the 3 by Gyo were titles that I read as a child and loved....so I got them to be must reads with my littles group.

Brenda

doh! Just realize I totally misread your post and what you're looking for. :: embarrassed ::

Perhaps one of these anthologies that are highly rated for children:
Random House Book of Poetry for Children -- almost 600 poems
Favorite Poems Old and New -- over 700 poems
Sing a Song of Popcorn -- 100+ poems
Talking to the Sun -- wide variety of poets/poems, paired with beautiful works of art from the Metropolitan Museum of Art
This Same Sky -- 125 poems from around the world, with artwork to enjoy

Not sure how much of it would be appealing specifically to children and tweens, but the Oxford Book of English Verse is very comprehensive -- covers poets/poems from the 1300s-1900s in almost 700 pages and you can get a used copy for around $10 (includes shipping!) -- so that brings your cost to about a penny-and-a-half per poem. (:D

ETA:
If you have any of the vintage children's anthology sets, you might already have a volume of older (mostly pre-20th century) poems by British authors sitting on your shelf:

Collier's Young Folks Shelf of Books (10 volumes) -- vol 10 is all poetry -- over 300 classic poems
Children's Hour (16 volumes) -- vol. 5 is all poetry, again, over 300 "best loved" poems
My Book House (12 volumes) -- has poems scattered through all the volumes
Journeys Through Bookland (10 volumes) -- has poems scattered through all the volumes (vol 2-8 and 10 are available free online through Project Gutenberg)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

In addition to several of the works mentioned by pp, my children enjoyed Jack Prelutsky, both his own work and the anthologies he edited.  His collections: Be Glad Your Nose is on Your Face, Something Big has been Here, and The New Kid on the Block. Anthologies: Read Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young and The Random House Book of Poetry for Children.  

Sharon Creech's Love That Dog and the sequel Hate That Cat are fun reads. 

• Like 2

I always start with humorous poetry because all kids enjoy humor. Some of our favorites include anything by Jack Prelutsky, Shel Silverstein, Douglas Florian, and Bruce Lansky. Our new favorite poetry book is I'm Just No Good at Rhyming by Chris Harris.  https://www.amazon.com/Just-Good-Rhyming-Mischievous-Grown-Ups/dp/0316266574

I will then move to other styles of poetry, but my goal is to hook kids with poetry at a very early age and these books do not disappoint.  

I'm a huge poetry fan--we have dozens of poetry books. 

My must-have favorites are:

• Poetry for Young People--I also like the SCM ones, but they are pretty pricey!  PFYP are easily found used at Half Price Books or Thrift Books.
  • Random House Book of Poetry for Children
  • A Child's Book of Poems (Gyo Fujikawa)
  • Favorite Poems Old and New

And for extra fun, we also love:

• Shel Silverstein books
  • Jack Prelutsky's It's Halloween and It's Thanksgiving books--I had the Halloween one as a child and my kids adore it as much as I did! 
  • Joyful Noise: Poetry in Two Voices