Menu

Advice/Recommendations for Testing

Thank-you in advance for any suggestions -

This is our first year homeschooling.  We just got the results of last year's standarized test- the ACT Aspire. (YES - they were just mailed to us last week... even though the test was taken last April.)  One of my children scored in the 99% and 98% percentile (even though he only got 60% right on the majority of the test (?!?!?!?!)....... and my other scored in the 53rd, 58th, 68th, and 74th percentiles (but only got about 33% -75% correct on most of it)....   And it says that my son is "BELOW READINESS" in ELA (English Language Arts).

Okay, so now that I know he is below readiness - I have a problem........ what areas does he need improvement to get him up to the correct grade level? It doesn't tell me on test results.... SO..... I was wondering if someone could recommend -

1. A test to administer to my kids to see if they are where they need to be

2.  The results will tell me exactly what they need help on - bonus points if it even recommends which curriculum to use or exactly what to do!!!

THANKS for any advice!!!!!!

Have you seen the ACT Aspire website?

I expect the ELA portion of most standardized testing looks at grammar, punctuation, spelling, and vocabulary.  Assuming that your child has no learning differences, maybe consider selecting a solid grammar/usage/mechanics and spelling program and systematically work through them.  Spelling programs usually provide a placement test.  

It's hard to recommend programs to complete strangers.  Is there a particular reason that you opted to remove your kids from the classroom to homeschool?  Does he have a prominent learning style?

Maybe look at Warriner's Handbook and start with grade 6 materials.  For spelling, maybe administer the placement tests for programs such as Megawords or Sequential Spelling.  For vocabulary, he could spend 10 minutes per day at the website freerice.com.  IEW sells a grammar program Fixit! that you might consider.  These are just a few ideas, and I'm certain others can recommend different approaches.

Edited by Heathermomster

On 9/24/2018 at 6:24 PM, Rachel428 said:

Thank-you in advance for any suggestions -

This is our first year homeschooling.  We just got the results of last year's standarized test- the ACT Aspire. (YES - they were just mailed to us last week... even though the test was taken last April.)  One of my children scored in the 99% and 98% percentile (even though he only got 60% right on the majority of the test (?!?!?!?!)....... and my other scored in the 53rd, 58th, 68th, and 74th percentiles (but only got about 33% -75% correct on most of it)....   And it says that my son is "BELOW READINESS" in ELA (English Language Arts).

Okay, so now that I know he is below readiness - I have a problem........ what areas does he need improvement to get him up to the correct grade level? It doesn't tell me on test results.... SO..... I was wondering if someone could recommend -

1. A test to administer to my kids to see if they are where they need to be

2.  The results will tell me exactly what they need help on - bonus points if it even recommends which curriculum to use or exactly what to do!!!

THANKS for any advice!!!!!!

So, your younger dc is the one who scored "below readiness"? He's just nine-ish?

What kinds of things are you using to teach English skills this year? Because those test scores were based on what he was doing in school last year, right? It's possible that you are doing what needs to be done.

12 hours ago, Rachel428 said:

My oldest is 7th (he's the one that is below readiness) and my youngest is 4th.  

Are you getting something like only figure 6 of below link or are you getting figure 1 as well on your student report? https://www.discoveractaspire.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Understanding-Your-ACT-Aspire-Results-Fall-2016.pdf

I agree it sounds like you're not interpreting correctly the data they gave you and need to go back. I think there can also be a psychological component if it was their first time testing or the test was too hard. You definitely want to interpret it in light of other data you have. You could even be seeing the effect of other issues like vision or attention, depending on how it was administered. 

Thd Woodcock Johnson is open ended and kicks out actual grade levels. Very few tests do. I agree that running placement tests for several curricula will give you similar data with no hassle.