Menu

High school classes that are outsourced/graded but NOT live/delayed video lecture?

I am not sure it would be the right thing to do, but my dd is really truly struggling with her outsourced online classes this year.  There are lots of reasons but I don't want to hijack my own thread.

Anyway I need suggestions for outsourced and graded with outside accountability But NOT live classes, and from a provider that's been doing this "forever" like the equivalent of Calvert but for high school....

• Like 1

Thanks!  My dd pretty much hates Science, so definitely AP is out of the question ?

Maybe she will be able to slog through and work it out with the Science course she is doing now.  IDK....a piece of me doesnt' want to jump in and rescue her but on the other hand it's still September and I don't want her GPA suffering because the format is frustrating.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Calming Tea said:

Maybe she will be able to slog through and work it out with the Science course she is doing now.  IDK....a piece of me doesnt' want to jump in and rescue her but on the other hand it's still September and I don't want her GPA suffering because the format is frustrating.

I understand the GPA dilemma. DS13 has private colleges on his wishlist. Could you get a textbook to supplement the lectures? DS12 does not do as well with video lectures so we have to frequent Half Price Bookstores often. PM me if you want to discuss offline (leaving to take public transport soon ? ). 

• Like 2

We are liking Derek Owens for Geometry this year. It’s video based but not live and we email DS’s work and tests in to a TA to be graded. Derek has several math and sciences options available. 

Homeschool Connections is another provider of both live and recorded classes. However, only some of the recorded classes have the teacher support which there is a fee for. Some don’t. My son is taking several of the live classes now from them. Like everything else, some are good and some are meh.

• Like 2

One of the first replies mentioned some schools that are affiliated with universities. I will add "TTU K-12" (formerly TTUISD) to the list.  DD is a Senior in Texas Tech University High School now and qualified as a "National Hispanic Scholar" (she was in the top 2.5% of the Hispanic test takers) when she took the PSAT/NMSQT last October.

Their courses are Asynchronous.  Most of her courses up to now have used traditional textbooks, the majority of which I bought used on Amazon or eBay. The Math courses were the first to go to eBooks. She is now waiting for a new version of an (I think) Economics course to be available with an eBook.

If you want credit from their courses, the student MUST pass the Final Exam, which is 25% of the semester grade and the Final must be supervised by a  Proctor.  

So, that's another possibility for you. Although the courses are listed as "Online", they do not meet at a specific time or place. The courses are "online" in the computer in the university. The courses usually begin with the first page of the textbooks and end with the last page, which I think would be impossible, using the same textbooks, in a brick and mortar school.  

• Like 1

FundaFunda, maybe? You'd want to check class-by-class, but I think the assignments have due dates but no live meeting. Several are semester-based.

I'm not sure I'd recommend their Science classes because I read some reviews of one talking about how much work it is--not in the same way people refer positively to Clover Valley Chem level of work-- like slog/busywork.

• Like 1