Menu

Weight Watchers is changing its name

Lady Florida.

I bet it's only the first step in some kind of broader rebranding campaign. People tend to be more focused on health now, as opposed to "watching their weight," so they need to come up with something more current without losing all their name recognition. Once they've been WW for a while, they'll probably announce it stands for something else. I can't imagine what, but I'm sure the marketing department will come up with something.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mergath said:

I bet it's only the first step in some kind of broader rebranding campaign. People tend to be more focused on health now, as opposed to "watching their weight," so they need to come up with something more current without losing all their name recognition. Once they've been WW for a while, they'll probably announce it stands for something else. I can't imagine what, but I'm sure the marketing department will come up with something.

“Wonder Women” 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Mergath said:

idk, ihop, kfc, and tlc didn't. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quill said:

“Wonder Women” 

They won't go that route, they are actively trying to recruit more male members. Rob Lowe and DJ Khaled are two of their spokespeople. Even if they don't increase the numbers substantially, 10% is a chunk of business they don't want to lose. 

• Like 3

In other news, did you see Oprah has a cauliflower-crust frozen pizza now? Honestly, that did surprise me, mega-marketer that she is notwithstanding. I just didn’t picture her wanting to associate her brand with a frozen pizza. 

5 hours ago, Mergath said:

They are rebranding.  According to my sil,who has been successful with WW and used to run meetings told me that at her last meeting all their snack foods were on sale because they are getting rid of any with artificial sweeteners. And changing the types of food they sell.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Woowoo.  From here on out, that is the pronunciation of the company. 

Marketing fail.

LOL! Woke my kids up laughing at this. Thanks, AM. Rough day here and I needed a belly laugh!

P.S. My dog is part hound and "woo woos" at us all the time. Sort of a bay in an inside voice. 

3 hours ago, HSmomof2 said:

I’ve had a couple emails from them since Sunday.....it looks like the WW is for Wellness that Works.

I think they would have been far better off keeping the tried and true Weight Watchers brand name, and used Wellness that Works as their new tag line. If it proved effective, they could have very gradually, over a period of years, morphed into using it as their business name. It seems idiotic to ditch such a valuable and trusted brand name for something totally unfamiliar and untested.

And as others have said, WW is not something that rolls off of your tongue when you say it.

• Like 3

Double Dubs - rolls right off your tongue!

When I was a Weight Watchers girl, I always put WW on my calendar.  I think it's easy to write and remember.  I feel like they have been in financial trouble for a long time. I'm not sure that a name change will help, but I like the program and hope they stick around.  (should consider re-joining, but...)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

tlc certainly did rebrand.  When it first came out, it had educational children's shows that my son watched.  I don't consider anything they show to be educational.

Yes, when ds was little they had some nice educational shows. It changed even before he outgrew children's tv programs. I noticed it getting farther and farther away from the "learning" part of tlc. Eventually I didn't even bother to let him watch it, though I didn't have to ban it. He didn't like the direction it went in either.

20 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I think they would have been far better off keeping the tried and true Weight Watchers brand name, and used Wellness that Works as their new tag line. If it proved effective, they could have very gradually, over a period of years, morphed into using it as their business name. It seems idiotic to ditch such a valuable and trusted brand name for something totally unfamiliar and untested.

It looks like Wellness that Works is indeed the new tagline, with WW not officially standing for anything. 

I definitely agree they should have kept the old brand name and started using the new tagline. I don't think Wellness That Works would be a great name, either, I think it would sound like a slogan in search of a name. Maybe Wellness Works after establishing the wellness identity.

Also, every time I see WW, I think of Wa Wa (and we don't even have those stores!). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, katilac said:

It looks like Wellness that Works is indeed the new tagline, with WW not officially standing for anything. 

I definitely agree they should have kept the old brand name and started using the new tagline. I don't think Wellness That Works would be a great name, either, I think it would sound like a slogan in search of a name. Maybe Wellness Works after establishing the wellness identity.

Also, every time I see WW, I think of Wa Wa (and we don't even have those stores!). 

I agree and really, is there wellness that doesn't work? That would be what, an oxymoron? Or something.

Weight Watchers is well known and I could be wrong but I think most people realize they were about health and not just weight loss but who knows. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Yes, when ds was little they had some nice educational shows. It changed even before he outgrew children's tv programs. I noticed it getting farther and farther away from the "learning" part of tlc. Eventually I didn't even bother to let him watch it, though I didn't have to ban it. He didn't like the direction it went in either.

My son is about 7 years older.  My memory of who watched various shows is not that great.  Older dd was trying to get me to remember which PBS Mystery show we watched when- some I do remember where we watched them-  others no.  I know for certain DD#1 used to watch Miss Sherri Lewis and Lambchops because she was singing on pitch that song before she was talking more than Mama.  But both she and her sister start telling me or asking me when I or they watched some show or some movie.  Some I know, lots I don't/

I heard a little bit more about it yesterday on NPR while driving around/  Among other things, their food is changing to being more natural like they will no longer use artificial sweeteners.  I do not know if that means they will use stevia instead or sugar and honey and that type of thing.  Stevia is natural but has both sweet and bitter notes so often sugar has to be added anyway.