Menu

It gets better...

knitgrl

This is our 5th year homeschooling. We don't have a vibrant homeschooling community locally, so I don't have many veterans to turn to for questions. We used Math-U-See for K and 1st. Halfway through 1st grade, I discovered that dd could do the worksheets, but didn't really understand the concept of carrying the 10 in addition. She was really slow with her facts. I stopped MUS for a month and a half and floundered trying to get her up to speed with facts. It didn't seem to be working. She was getting bored and I decided to plug on despite her not having her facts at her fingertips. We switched to MEP. We moved slowly. I fretted about her being behind. We speeded things up a bit. Math still took over an hour a day last year (broken up into two parts). It took forever. It was slow. I doubted myself. I thought I was ruining her, and that she would never recall 5+7 in less than a full minute.

I am happy to report that this year, math is taking a lot less time. While dd is not speedy, and I don't think she ever will be, I have seen progress. It does not take as long for her to recall facts. Going over the lesson does not take as long as it used to. Part of it, I think, is because she has grown, and part is because I have grown as a teacher. She is in 4th grade and doing Year 3, which is just the right level for her right now. I just wanted to encourage and share with those who are new(ish) and fretting and doubting and wondering if it will ever sink in. It might take awhile -- even years, but it gets better.

• Like 9