Menu

Family Mission trips through a company not linked to your church?

saraha

Does anyone have any experience with traveling through a missions company that is not directly associated with your church? We are not currently attending a church that can do mission trips, and we would like to look at the opportunity to use an outside company. There are a lot! So I am looking for recommedations.

Thanks!

Sarah

Well. I guessed I assumed that perhaps some churches would take other church members.  Just this morning we attended a mission's meeting for a trip Sept. 2019.  As much as I'd like to go, I've never traveled abroad (do want to though) and am hesitant about going on this one for 10 days on the other side of the world.  If I've traveled before than no doubt I'd be a little more familiar with what to expect.  But, to travel abroad and for a mission's trip just overwhelms me.  I'd like to start domestically before branching internationally.  After thinking about that just a few hours ago, I thought of contacting a few other churches to see if they would accept us on their mission's program.  Just a thought.  Don't even know if this is possible but it entered my mind to check out.

I have friends who are missionaries with Serge (formerly World Harvest Mission) and other friends who are missionaries with Cru (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ). Both of those organizations have short-term missions opportunities:

Cru: https://www.cru.org/us/en/opportunities/mission-trips/for-anyone.html (they say some of the opportunities allow families)

Serge: https://serge.org/length/short-term (they include age requirements on the descriptions)

My denomination plans mission trips and I am pretty sure you don't have to be a member  of a PCA church to participate. The denomination does this because many small churches would never be able to plan or lead trips, but with resources pooled the administration can be streamlined and more people can go. Here is the website. There are trips families can do and some longer term things that teens and young adults can do to explore missions possibilities.