Menu

Live online classes... what do you recommend?

Rachel428

We are fairly new to homeschooling - this is our first year - our kids were in private school before.  Homeschooling is so much better though, and its great to be away from all of the drama!!!

Anyway, what has been your experience in live online classes? Esp. for math, science and writing... but any subject really :)

Has anyone used outschool?

This is our first year doing any live online classes. My oldest ds has done a self-paced course before and two of my dc have done a dvd alongside a subject before. 

My ds 8th grade is doing 3 classes through Wilson Hill Academy ( Algebra 1, Great Conversations 2, and Greek 1) and 1 through Scholé Academy (Writing and Rhetoric 4). My ds 6th grade is doing 2 classes through Wilson Hill (Language Arts 2 and Ancient Times). 

So so far I’m really happy with these decisions. I have several other kids, We just moved back into the US and I needed less on my plate. My ds 8th has taken Koine Greek for 3 years and was ready to move on to Ancient Greek. His teacher is excellent and has such enthusiasm that it made me want to take the class. Algebra 1 is going very well (though we are just in the first month so nothing hard yet). But his teacher has been teaching in this format for several years and does a good job keeping people on track and explaining concepts well. As we get into harder topics, we will see about how that goes if he needs extra help or guidance. Although both my Dh and I could figure it out pretty well. He enjoys his GC2 class (especially as they are reading Tolkien right now). I’m happy with his Writing class because he has to do public speaking and I think between this class and his others, he will be exposed to other’s writing will help him to grow. We’ve been using CAP’s Writing and Rhetoric series for a few years and I feel this class will take the same material and move it up a notch. (Compared to what I was able to do with him before.) 

My other ds 6th really enjoys his classes and appreciates the fact that he can be in a class but not in school all day (if you know what I mean). Typing is the one area we are struggling with as the online classes do require interaction during class as well as most assignments to be typed and turned in. The interaction in class is typed, audio, and visual. So there is a “chat box” where they can ask or answer questions and add to discussion, but they can also activate their microphone or camera to interact in class (when the teacher allows). 

Anyway, so far I’ve been pleased with these choices. But we are only a month into the school year. 

• Like 1

@ScoutTN

That’s neat! I’ve heard good things  about Mr. Reini. My ds is in the T/Th early morning group with Mrs. Pepin. It’s 7am our time!! But it was the only open class that would work with our schedule. He actually doesn’t mind being up early and getting math over with. Some of my other kids are not morning people and it would never work, lol. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, specialkmom said:

This is our first year doing any live online classes. My oldest ds has done a self-paced course before and two of my dc have done a dvd alongside a subject before. 

My ds 8th grade is doing 3 classes through Wilson Hill Academy ( Algebra 1, Great Conversations 2, and Greek 1) and 1 through Scholé Academy (Writing and Rhetoric 4). My ds 6th grade is doing 2 classes through Wilson Hill (Language Arts 2 and Ancient Times). 

So so far I’m really happy with these decisions. I have several other kids, We just moved back into the US and I needed less on my plate. My ds 8th has taken Koine Greek for 3 years and was ready to move on to Ancient Greek. His teacher is excellent and has such enthusiasm that it made me want to take the class. Algebra 1 is going very well (though we are just in the first month so nothing hard yet). But his teacher has been teaching in this format for several years and does a good job keeping people on track and explaining concepts well. As we get into harder topics, we will see about how that goes if he needs extra help or guidance. Although both my Dh and I could figure it out pretty well. He enjoys his GC2 class (especially as they are reading Tolkien right now). I’m happy with his Writing class because he has to do public speaking and I think between this class and his others, he will be exposed to other’s writing will help him to grow. We’ve been using CAP’s Writing and Rhetoric series for a few years and I feel this class will take the same material and move it up a notch. (Compared to what I was able to do with him before.) 

My other ds 6th really enjoys his classes and appreciates the fact that he can be in a class but not in school all day (if you know what I mean). Typing is the one area we are struggling with as the online classes do require interaction during class as well as most assignments to be typed and turned in. The interaction in class is typed, audio, and visual. So there is a “chat box” where they can ask or answer questions and add to discussion, but they can also activate their microphone or camera to interact in class (when the teacher allows). 

Anyway, so far I’ve been pleased with these choices. But we are only a month into the school year. 

Thanks for your response!! I have never heard of either of those, which is surprising because I've spent about 6 months researching live online classes - THANKS for suggesting both of these.  Just curious - I noticed the biology class at Wilson Hill says they" Evolutionary theory will be discussed with care and consideration given to diverse opinions. " So I guess this is not creation-based?

16 minutes ago, Rachel428 said:

Thanks for your response!! I have never heard of either of those, which is surprising because I've spent about 6 months researching live online classes - THANKS for suggesting both of these.  Just curious - I noticed the biology class at Wilson Hill says they" Evolutionary theory will be discussed with care and consideration given to diverse opinions. " So I guess this is not creation-based?

No, I would think the opposite!  WHA is clearly Christian with high academic standards. They use standard, secular texts for Bio: Miller-Levine for regular and honors, and Campbell for AP. I have not had a child in their Bio class, but do have a student in other classes. I would expect that they reject a Ken Ham type position, which uses YE as a litmus test of Christian orthodoxy. I would expect them to teach all positions, including the dominant Neo-Darwinian evolutionary theory, through the lens of Scripture. Some Christians or Christian textbooks fail to teach evolutionary theory accurately or just make a straw-man out of it, and so their kids are not prepared for university/college. I would expect WHA holds firmly to an "all truth is God's truth" type position and the comment above signals that they are not afraid to discuss evolution.  

If you have any questions, just email WHA and ask. I have found them to be responsive and helpful to questions about coursework. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rachel428 said:

You might find it helpful to read the pinned threads at the top of several boards about online classes/schools. There is one on the Logic stage board and one on the general board. The threads by subject (math/chemistry etc.) on the high school board include online courses as well as textbook/curriculum choices. 

WHA and Schole Academy (online courses by Classical Academic Press) are both classical in their approach to education. Have you been looking for classical resources? If not, they might not have been on your radar. 

• Like 1

My dd has taken Expository Writing 1 with WTMA...our experience was not amazing, but I think it was the teacher (who is no longer there). We may use WTMA again at some point...

This year dd is taking Algebra 1 with Mr. D math utilizing the live online class option-- she loves it. She is also taking Art of Argument with Schole Academy and so far I am very pleased with that. 

I am leaning towards WHA for some classes next year. 

• Like 2

Not a live class but Derek Owen's math classes are excellent!

Also, my dd took Geometry with Jann at myhomeschoolmathclass and it was a great class and was live.

DD took Rhetoric classes at the WTMA and they were absolutely excellent. However, they were with Mr Hummel and I don't think he is teaching that class this year so I have experience with the class but not with the current teachers.

Clover Creek physics with Jetta is an absolutely amazing class and she does do a live class meeting each week. You have to register for the class as soon as registration opens because her classes fill up within hours.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rachel428 said:

Just curious - I noticed the biology class at Wilson Hill says they" Evolutionary theory will be discussed with care and consideration given to diverse opinions. " So I guess this is not creation-based?

Agreeing with ScoutTN. My son is in the GC1 class and they recently discussed different beliefs held among Christians regarding the creation. They went over the 7 day/24 hour view, the day age view, and the framework position and discussed each.  So I would think they would discuss the evolutionary theory and then also address the various positions that Christians might take on creation.

• Like 1

My oldest is enrolled in WTMA German 1 this year and so far it is excellent. I'm pleased that they have opportunities to speak the language 3 times a week in a live class and my son says he is learning way more than he did working on his own on Duolingo. We are both happy with the class and the workload has been reasonable for second language learning.

Not sure if it counts as a live class...but...many many moons ago (5+) we took a Bravewriter class.  I think it had to do with Rudyard Kipling.  Not sure if it qualifies as a live class (and perhaps things have changed), but it was more discussion board type format.  The kids would have an assignment, write/type it (or I would type it in), and then receive feedback.

And if your kids have any desire to learn to read Arabic and the Qur'an, I can recommend a few places.  We pay $5/half hour for one on one tutoring over Skype.  

Edited by umsami

1 hour ago, umsami said:

Not sure if it counts as a live class...but...many many moons ago (5+) we took a Bravewriter class.  I think it had to do with Rudyard Kipling.  Not sure if it qualifies as a live class (and perhaps things have changed), but it was more discussion board type format.  The kids would have an assignment, write/type it (or I would type it in), and then receive feedback.

And if your kids have any desire to learn to read Arabic and the Qur'an, I can recommend a few places.  We pay $5/half hour for one on one tutoring over Skype.  

Hi, Thanks for your sharing your experiences. Could you kindly share the Arabic classes for $5/30 mins. over Skype? Is the instructor Arabic? Which grades does he/she teach? Thanks.

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

We are only starting our third week but so far we are happy with Latin and composition classes from Memoria Press Online Academy. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences. May I ask about MPOA Composition classes. Is your dc doing Fable or Narrative? Which teacher do you recommend? How many final essays does a child write per semester? Do you see improvement in your child’s writings? Do you recommend these writing classes? Could you kindly share the pros and cons? Thanks.

5 hours ago, Rosepetal said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. May I ask about MPOA Composition classes. Is your dc doing Fable or Narrative? Which teacher do you recommend? How many final essays does a child write per semester? Do you see improvement in your child’s writings? Do you recommend these writing classes? Could you kindly share the pros and cons? Thanks.

We are just in the third week so it is all still new but my dd is in Narrative with Dr. Dray. It is great so far. They do a lesson every two weeks so she will have written 16 final drafts by the end if they year. The lessons closely follow the book if you are familiar with the text. Instructions are clear, Dr. Dray is very good. He manages the classroom well and is very engaging. My dd has enjoyed sharing her work with the class which is a new thing for her. 

You asked how many essays. They aren’t essays as much as the retelling of stories. So not an essay writing course. That will come in later years. It is too early to know how much her writing will improve but she certainly will become stronger and more confident working through this process. She is only 10 yo so she has lots of room to grow ? Also, I am very much helping her. I am watching the classes with her and making sure she is staying on track daily and I help her with the assignments. But I wasn’t looking for hands off. I like approaching some of these subjects as her teammate or cheerleader but I’m not enrolling a 5th grader in a class and waking away. I am sure she would not get as much out of it without my support. But we will transition her to more independent as she is able and that is appropriate. 

• Like 1

We do Schole Academy with Classical Academic Press as well. Our experience has been great. I love their approach to writing. They are expanding the courses they offer every year and are becoming a complete online school where you can take all core subjects. Several of the instructors have PhD's and they are offering a neat STEM elective - which they plan to offer more of in the future. It is Classical and Christian. 

17 hours ago, Rosepetal said:

Hi, Thanks for your sharing your experiences. Could you kindly share the Arabic classes for $5/30 mins. over Skype? Is the instructor Arabic? Which grades does he/she teach? Thanks.

For Qur'an, we go through Ad-Duha.org  

For general Arabic (or Qur'an as well), we've found tutors through preply.com 

My daughter has taken a handful of literature and science classes through Athena’s Academy and loved them all. She’ll probably take a few classes through Online G3 in the future as well.

She’s done an Outschool class and did love it. The thing to keep in mind with Outschool is that *anyone* can offer clases there - great teachers (and not), experienced teachers (and not), knowledgeable teachers (and not). You have to be picky.

• Like 1