Menu

What's with the ads?

lulalu

Morning basket ideas needed

I have been doing a morning basket, and need some more ideas. I have a chapter book, and we read from Proverbs. I have a joke book, and a poetry book that I am rotating days with. Any other short reads that I can rotate through? Trying to think of short, fun ways to start our day. My son is 6. 

Go to Amblesideonline and check out year 0 and 1 readings on the schedule- you might find a lot of good suggestions.......also at this age, I'm still about Mother Goose, poems from Shel Silverstein and similar, Aesop's fables etc. My kids and I both love Fifty Famous Stories Retold (in the AO year 1 schedule) and I'll throw in children's versions of Beowulf, Norse Myths, etc. because that's up their alley, but might not appeal to everyone. We also really like the Egermeier's Bible Story Book in addition to direct reading from KJV.  Maybe some other memory work y'all find interesting? We've done Presidents and Monarchs of England (William the 1st up from Horrible Histories) along with books of the Bible and random things. Maybe Mad Libs too for something fun? 

• Like 1

We did some gentle old-fashioned Christian character books at that age -- things like:
A Hive of Busy Bees (Williams)
Storytime with the Millers (Martin)
Hero Tales (Jackson)
Stories from Africa (SIM)

Also, short story collections, like The Book of Virtues (Bennett), Stories From Around the World (Amery), American Tall Tales (Osborne), etc.

At that age, we also rotated through including things like this in our morning together time:
- a few pages of critical thinking/logic puzzles
- read a selection out of the Language/Literature section of the What Your ___ Grader Needs to Know
- Pledge of Allegiance
- picture books/short books on patriotic/US cultural things
- tall tales picture books (picture books/short books like Steven Kellogg's Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill)
- memorize phone number and address
- cultural literacy: listen to a song (Wee Sing: America (patriotic songs), Fun & Folk (traditional US folk songs), Around the World (traditional folk songs of other countries)
- read a fairy tale / myth / legend, or something like St
- a picture book or short book on health / safety / fire safety

When DSs were a little older (around ages 9/10), we did a book on manners/etiquette -- we happened to use Manners Matter (Hartley).

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

You could add in art or music, making it from the same time period you are studying.  Also a Shakespeare storybook, like "Tales from Shakespeare" by Charles and Mary Lamb.  We used "Trial and Triumph" by Richard Hannula, too, which is biographies of famous people in church history written for children.  

• Like 2

A Children's Treasury of Virtues

Manners Made Easy

Art of the Day app (we have been doing this for maybe 2 years and my 7 year old can usually tell what continent and century a piece of art is from on sight)

Singing Made Easy sold by IEW

Poetry memorization

English From The Roots Up

• Like 5

Good picture books, add a song or two. 

I set up a playlist on my phone with the CC Presidents song (I got it on Amazon Prime as we don’t do CC), books of the Bible, the National Anthem (sung by kids), the hymn we are working on. At Christmas I add Christmas carols. We don’t do all of those every morning, I just pick a couple that we listen to. 

• Like 3

My six year old's basket:

Life of Fred

Living Memory

Chapter book (Because of Winn-Dixie)

Cub Scouts memory work

Core Knowledge Poetry First Grade

Character Traits calendar (put out by our charter school)

Narration selections

I also have a selection of Buddhist stories for kids, MP art cards, and SOTW cards I can switch stuff up with. 

• Like 2

My kids like flash cards like presidents, states, artwork, animals, - stuff like that. We just add a couple new ones at the beginning of the week and then kinda review all of them or play little games like putting the presidents in order,naming the capitals of the states, sorting the animals, etc. We don't do all of them all the time. We rotate most- though artwork is pretty constant. 

• Like 4

Currently in our basket:

-a Thornton Burgess book (science/nature)

-a children’s Bible

-a children’s devotional book, which we more or less alternate with the Bible

-a giant maps/geography workbook that we read and discuss orally

-SOTW 3

-the eight book set of Flower Fairies poems (my boys do enjoy these)

-a book about art masterpieces close up

-a book about children throughout history

From time to time I throw in other books about science, nature, history, geography, art, music, biographies, whatever. Magazines go in there too. I’ve also done the cards for English From The Roots Up at times.  Maybe math flash cards and/or phonics review could go there too  

The National Archives used to have an app for a document of the day, which would go nicely. I follow 360 Photos or whatever it’s called and the National Gallery of Art on FB, and they often have interesting things as well. 

• Like 2

This is our morning routine:

Sing a hymn - read a poem or two - devotional - alternate between manners, art book, Story of the Orchestra

• Like 2

Some morning basket things my 7 year old likes:

Where’s Will (Shakespeare play summaries followed by a two page spread hide and seek of the play a la Where’s Waldo)

Mindful Kids cards (deck of 50 mindfulness short practices)

I Heard Your Feelings cards (deck by eeBoo to gently discuss being attentive to other’s feelings and how to handle/interact with others after noticing their feelings)

Children Just Like Me (photo-heavy spreads of kids from around the world with what they wear, eat, play, learn, etc)

Aesop’s Fables (we have the Milo Winter version)

Read Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young (fun assortment of poems curated by Jack Prelutsky)

The Story of the Orchestra (book and audio CD about the instruments of the orchestra and different composers)

Memoria Press’ Art print cards

Just finished My Father’s Dragon (and the two sequels) and just started Mary Pope Osborne’s Tales from the Odyssey. Odyssey chapters are longer, but My Father’s Dragon has nice short chapters.  All my kids have loved these books!

ETA: Once Upon a Time Map Book (fairytale’s and other stories’ worlds on a map, with a narrative of directions through the map, which is a fun and gentle way to learn a map key, cardinal directions, coordinate grid, etc)

Come Look With Me (series of art books to work on picture study, artist bios, and art appreciation)

Edited by Targhee
  • Like 3

We’ve done the 5 in a row books in the past, I never did the crafts but would occasionally do some of the suggested activities too. 

• Like 1

A few years ago I started dividing our morning basket/memory work into the following sections;

The Pursuit of Truth: This includes, Bible reading, learning books of the Bible, divisions of the Old and New Testament, catechism, and Bible memorization

The Pursuit of Beauty: Poetry memorization (we do a poem per unit (about 4-6 weeks)-- longer if needed), art cards (we like the ones from Memoria Press)

The Pursuit of Goodness: Character traits (we use the We Choose Virtue cards) 

And we usually end with latin/greek vocab flashcards and Geography flashcards (from Memoria Press) (These would come under the Truth category, but I like to do them last) 

We also do our read aloud at the end a lot of the time. 

• Like 4

I always liked having a copy of What Your First Grader Needs to Know. It had a collection of songs and poetry to learn. We liked the common sayings and what they mean. That was always good for my semi literal kiddo. There were stories to read, history to follow in small bites that might not be what we were covering, but at least I could feel like it was introduced, like in first grade when we were doing SOTW 1 and the ancients, my kiddos got a bit of Am. History through reading through WY1GNTK. 

• Like 1

We like to add some quick drawing to our basket.  Either I find an object to sketch, or we do something like "How to Draw Everyday" by Kamo. 

• Like 2