Menu

A Dinner wwyd

Pen

Dinner is in oven. I need to go pick up Ds at a friends’ house.  Dinner would need 15 minutes more than time after leaving time. It will take me half an hour away.  Dinner is tamales, not something tricky like a soufflé  

1. Take dinner out of oven, put it back in to finish cooking when I return?

2. Leave dinner in hot, turned off oven, and hope it is cooked, but not too cooked when we return. 

3. Other, please specify. 

58 minutes ago, katilac said:

Other: tell ds to wait for me outside for 15 minutes. 

I didn’t want to cause a problem for his friend’s mom. It was a complicated situation.  

54 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Okay.  How do you tamales in the oven??

You can google for recipes for oven tamales or tamale casserole— but tbh it didn’t come out all that well. Steaming in IP would probably have been better. However IP had a chicken soup happening in it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pen said:

You can google for recipes for oven tamales or tamale casserole— but tbh it didn’t come out all that well. Steaming in IP would probably have been better. However IP had a chicken soup happening in it. 

Good to know!  I never thought of doing a tamale casserole.  I bet my kids would eat it up. ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Good to know!  I never thought of doing a tamale casserole.  I bet my kids would eat it up. ?

Tamale casserole is less work than tamales,  not needing corn husk wrapping and so forth. 

Gets layered ingredients sort of like a Mexican version of a lasagna, but corn masa instead of pasta, chorizo instead of beef, poblano chili and beans perhaps instead of _____. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pen said:

Tamale casserole is less work than tamales,  not needing corn husk wrapping and so forth. 

Gets layered ingredients sort of like a Mexican version of a lasagna, but corn masa instead of pasta, chorizo instead of beef, poblano chili and beans perhaps instead of _____. 

The less work part is nice.  I usually make several dozen, do a quick steam, and throw them in the freezer.  The kids can grab one or two and microwave them as needed.  But there are some times I just don't have the time to devote to doing all of them at once.  I'll have to give the casserole a go and see how they like it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Any chance your oven has a feature where you can set it to turn on later? I only ask because my sister had a similar dilemma recently and forgot that her oven was programmable. 

Yes. Though I feel uncomfortable with it on and no one home. Probably silly.  Also, in this case I didn’t have a known pick up the kid time in advance.